TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Vehicle to Gird Power

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by J EV, May 16, 2015.

1. J EV

J EV New Member

I'm interested in using my model S to supply a small amount of power for my cabin. I know that Tesla does not condone this, however I think it would still be beneficial for me. Does anyone know what I need to modify in order to allow power to leave the car?

2. spc

spc Member

i see no reason you could not tap on the 12 battery like you would any ICE. i am sure it can power several small 12v bright LEDs.
    good luck.

3. Tree95

Tree95 Member

@spc - clearly the car can power multiple bright LEDs (DRLs, Fogs, rear lights) including two XENON bulbs for days off of the 12V supply, so the OP could do more than 'several small 12v LEDs'

But, I'm suspecting, the OP wants to pull from the high voltage pack. It all comes down to what he means by "small amount of power." A 12V to 120VAC inverter might be sufficient. But I don't know what he's looking for.

When camping, I'll run a small 12V RV refrigerator (Dometic brand). Plus, I found a nifty device for heating food that only draws 12A @ 12V: A RoadPro portable stove: Amazon.com : RoadPro 12-Volt Portable Stove, Black : Camping Stoves : Sports Outdoors It really can heat things to 300F.

4. kupchurch5

kupchurch5 New Member

Sounds like a good idea

5. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Yes it is a very good idea and I hear the Leaf can do this as they supplied portable power during Fukushima.