Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle to Grid - V2G

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I attended a presentation from one of the upper management at PJM not long ago and his prediction was that in the next 20 years all regulation and responsive reserves would be done through loads, freeing the generators for more economic activities.

And I put in technology throughout PJM and ERCOT for "loads acting as a resource" all over the place. It is definitely alive and well in all allowable markets. It just has to be able to respond and pass the periodic testing.

@digitaltim: right, it serves as a capacity resource but, so far, retail loads aren't able to provide ancillary services because PJM (nor any other grid operator) can measure and verify their performance. @rolosrevenge is thinking that the Model S's ability to report out and adjust its rate of charging directly over the air would allow cars to offer regulation while charging. The open question is whether PJM would accept that automated response as equivalent to a "revenue quality" meter. I'll ask Mike Kormos next time I see him, or one of you should if you get to him first. I've been looking for an excuse to drive my Model S down to King of Prussia, but I haven't needed to go to any of the stakeholder meetings lately.

Agreed - at a consumer/retail level, it is somewhat unmanageable given current technology; however, we were bringing some game changing technology to the table that aggregated the retail load through some investments in a company called Consert - see LetConsert. I lost track of them since I left the industry in '11.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am struggling trying to decide why I would want to participate in a program like this if i bought an EV? Why do i personally care that I am helping even out the grid? All i care about is money and wear and tear on my equipment (call me greedy).

Subjugating my EV's batteries to extra cycles would be a no no as there is no way for the minisule amount of money I would be making would make up for the wear and tear on the pack ($1 a day at best???). Not to mention doing so would require a quality pure sine wave inverter to take your battery power to the grid. Also by doing this I may not have full amount of my pack available to me when i decide to go visit family or friends at the spur of the moment due to my power company taking half my juice at 2 in the afternoon.

I might be striking a different tune on a higher cycle/higher charge battery like an Altair (if they still exist) but with the current lithium battery packs I dont see this being worthwhile. I personally do see a benefit of utilizing an EV to power your house in the case of an outage, but once again the wiring and inverter is a bit spendy.

Below is a representation of Germany's electricity production two Thursdays ago. Soon what was once the peak will on most days be the valley. Mid-day supply shortfall will be a thing of the past in very short order.

photovoltaik_wind_rekord.JPG

Below is a representation of Germany's electricity production two Thursdays ago. Soon what was once the peak will on most days be the valley. Mid-day supply shortfall will be a thing of the past in very short order.
Great chart! The grid is evolving in unexpected ways. Note that Germany was actually in an exporter of power during the peak.

Germany is fortunate to have such a good wind regime as well. In California, the wind tapers off dramatically during the day. Of course, this only makes the role of solar power more important.