Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle to Load/Home a Requirement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own a 2019 M3. I love it. But I'm old enough that climbing down into a low car won't work for me for too many more years.

I will be buying 2 new EVs over the next few years. One will be something large, either a truck or a larger SUV. Right now, I'm waiting to see an F150 Lightning, Cybertruck or VW ID6. I don't care about road tripping or towing this car. It's there to be a second car and give me something I can move furniture in or bring home some lumber for an around the house project. The other will be a crossover, that can do a road trip nearly as fast as an ICE car. The MY is the only car that currently meets this need. (I've done 5000 miles in 11 days in my M3. So I have a pretty good understanding of road tripping)

In my lifetime, the next 30 or so years, I expect the electric grid to be unreliable as we transition away from fossil fuels. I live in the Pacific Northwest. Home solar doesn't quite pencil out. I'll probably get it anyway, as preparation for the expected disruption. To truly back up my life, I need storage. Buying a bunch of Powerwalls is crazy expensive. Adding V2L or V2H, to the massive batteries I drive around with, isn't expensive. When I go to buy my cars, I am likely to get an F150 and a Hyundai Ionic 5 or Kia EV6, because of their better capability to act as home back up than the Tesla equivalent.

I am a huge Tesla fan. With competitive V2H/L options, I'm looking forward to a CT and a MY. Without it, I'll likely go a different way.