Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Tracker installed by Tesla in UK Roadsters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I *think* that all the Roadsters delivered in the UK had vehicle trackers installed by Tesla, prior to delivery. I kept up the call-centre subscription for the first two or three years, but dropped it when it was no longer required for insurance.

However, given the rising valuations of Roadsters my insurance renewal requires an active tracker service. I would like to re-activate the existing system, rather than have a new one installed, but I don't have any details of what the system is, where it is installed, or who can provide the call-centre service, etc.

So, does this sound at all familiar to any UK Roadster owners? If you have an active tracking system can you let me know who the service provider is? Especially if you are using the original Tesla-installed system!

Thanks
Sean

I *think* that all the Roadsters delivered in the UK had vehicle trackers installed by Tesla, prior to delivery. I kept up the call-centre subscription for the first two or three years, but dropped it when it was no longer required for insurance.

However, given the rising valuations of Roadsters my insurance renewal requires an active tracker service. I would like to re-activate the existing system, rather than have a new one installed, but I don't have any details of what the system is, where it is installed, or who can provide the call-centre service, etc.

So, does this sound at all familiar to any UK Roadster owners? If you have an active tracking system can you let me know who the service provider is? Especially if you are using the original Tesla-installed system!

Thanks
Sean
The original tracker no longer works because it’s not compatible with modern cellular signals. However, @markwj created OVMS to help remotely monitor and track our roadsters. I believe there are EU vs NA versions. More information here:

The original tracker no longer works because it’s not compatible with modern cellular signals. However, @markwj created OVMS to help remotely monitor and track our roadsters. I believe there are EU vs NA versions. More information here:
Thanks; understood.

I do have the OVMS device and am very happy with it. But it does not meet the requirement for insurance purposes (understandably, as it is very easy to remove).

I understand that 3G services are scheduled to be discontinued in the UK by the end of 2024, but I'm fairly certain that all cellular services that were operating in 2009/10/11 are fully available today.

If anybody knows where the original tracker was installed in UK Roadsters, or the name of the service provider, that would be great!

Cheers
Sean

Did you check the wiring diagrams, they would probably be your best start as it would be in the low voltage system and have communication with the VDS like the OVMS does. So not the stereo or gps system. It’s 2G so inactive so it’s not readable. My uneducated guess would be the APS or switchpack.

Sorry, this isn't true. I still have the original NavTrak ADR 5 tracker in my UK Roadster, but it is now administered by Vodafone Automotive. It works 100%, because I occasionally forget my little tag thing and they call me pretty quickly! It might be worth giving them a call.

Attached is a screenshot from my policy, showing costs and contact details for VA.

They said they could arrange for the car to be upgraded to a more modern ADR 10 tracker, for additional cost. I'm afraid I have no idea where the tracker is located in the vehicle, but I dare say I could find out from Roadster experts such as Neil Wise.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-15 09.00.18.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-15 09.00.18.png
    132.2 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: Mark77a and eHorses