Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Trade-In and Registration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

So I plan to trade in my current vehicle to Tesla when I pick up my MYLR order. My registration needs to be renewed soon, and the deadline is right around my EDD. Because I don't plan on using my vehicle until it is traded, do you guys think it would be a problem for me to renew my registration under the PNO option (Planned Non-Operation), and trade it in to Tesla under this registration? Thanks much for your insights.

I am in the same situation and considering the same thing. DMV: "Planned Nonoperation (PNO) means that the vehicle will not be driven, towed, stored, or parked on public roads or highways for the entire registration year." I've also read that the criteria is the car's tires touching public roads... so does that apply in the case of a flatbed? It seems to be widely acknowledged that you can transport a PNO or even unregistered/expired car on a trailer. I'm a bit confused.

Last edited:
You can get a temp permit for these kind of things...

No need for this now, as my EDD window has come, and went, and I had to renew my registration since the end is nowhere in sight. TOP didn’t really apply to my situation as I was hoping my current car would be traded prior to having to pay for the full registration, but it is good to know regardless.

For anyone researching this topic:
Tesla can see the registration status and will check it before they approve your trade-in for intake. In my case, the MVPA was not generated until I submitted proof of DMV renewal payment. Once I emailed the payment receipt to the SA, the MVPA was generated and the transaction proceeded.

Reactions: PeteOC
For anyone researching this topic:
Tesla can see the registration status and will check it before they approve your trade-in for intake. In my case, the MVPA was not generated until I submitted proof of DMV renewal payment. Once I emailed the payment receipt to the SA, the MVPA was generated and the transaction proceeded.
Great info. Thanks.