Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Wrap - Newbie questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to vehicle wraps. I'd appreciate if someone can help with my questions.
I am looking to get a MSM (or Black) colored Model Y in matte. Paint-protection, matte-look and a reasonable price is what I'm ideally looking for.
  1. Which colored Model Y should I order? White or MSM? White will save me $1000...but it's not the longer-term color that I want.
  2. What type of a wrap should I go for? XPEL seems to come up quite often on the forum
  3. How much should I expect to budget for this?
  4. Any shops in the Seattle area that are recommended?
Thanks in advance.

Sorry I may have confused you ..if u order a normal MSM color xpel makes a wrap that is matter in transparency that will make the car look matte... there are other alternatives where u can get any color car and apply any color matte wrap to .. I assumed u wanted the former ...the second method (color changing) wraps are slightly less

I have MSM that I had Xpel Stealth applied too. It looks really great; I am very happy with the results. I paid about $7k including ceramic coating.

The problem with using a color changing film is that you will see the original color when you open doors, trunk, frunk, etc. This isnt as much of an issue with the matte wrap because it is at least the same color.

If you want MSM, I would get MSM and then use a clear wrap like the Xpel Stealth.

Reactions: DRTII
My wife wanted the Tiffany Blue wrap by Inozetek, so we went with the standard white to save money. We paid $2500 in Arizona.

1DB1CF62-F215-4530-AD86-02FB8F63999B.jpeg
B19D9752-7922-4C77-9BA5-F7B10365EFD8.jpeg

Reactions: DRTII
Should note the difference between a vinyl wrap and a clear bra (paint protection film “PPF”). Vinyl wraps are thinner and generally cheaper.

I have black with STEK Dynomatt PPF. The end result is a satin look.

vinyl wraps offer little protection and should be considered for color change of that is the intent.

YMMV on cost. Not sure what vinyl would cost but my car was around $7k for full PPF, tint, and paint correction

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
@smariner The main thing for you to consider is how the weather is in Seattle and how much time you are willing to spend on maintaining your matte wrap. I'm located in Los Angeles and weather is 90% of the time great, so I have no problem with a matte wrap. I have no experience with how it holds up in snow or heavy rain so other members can probably chime in, but I assume you'd need to be more on top of keeping it in good condition. Also, it's highly recommended to hand wash your car when matte wrapped since scratches show much easier. And you're looking at $5-7k for a matte wrap.

I am new to vehicle wraps. I'd appreciate if someone can help with my questions.
I am looking to get a MSM (or Black) colored Model Y in matte. Paint-protection, matte-look and a reasonable price is what I'm ideally looking for.
  1. Which colored Model Y should I order? White or MSM? White will save me $1000...but it's not the longer-term color that I want.
  2. What type of a wrap should I go for? XPEL seems to come up quite often on the forum
  3. How much should I expect to budget for this?
  4. Any shops in the Seattle area that are recommended?
Thanks in advance.
I love in Bothell. Highly recommend Eastside Auto Salon on the eastside. There is a company near Tacoma but I cannot recall their information. Eastside specializes in detailing Tesla's and all high-end cars. Ask for Joey or Michelle or Ben. Great people. I had my vehicle wrapped and detailed.

13421 NE 20th St #8​

Bellevue, WA 98005​

Reactions: 63AMG