TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Vehicles blocking charging spots

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Blue heaven, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Fair Dinkum Tesla

There's a bit of discussion at the bottom of this thread Superchargers in Australia concerning charging spots getting ICED that could benefit with a thread of its own.

My impression is ICE drivers in Australia are rarely parking in charging spots on purpose but for those that do there are 3 types;
    1. Those that don't realise because the parking spot is poorly marked,
    2. The ICE drivers that have been fed the media line that there's only a few hundred cars in the whole of the country so parking in an EV spot won't be an issue, no excuse but if you have a chat to them about the car you'll normally win over a new electric car fan.
    3. The rare moron that deliberately parks in the spot because A Bolt told him all Tesla drivers are fuel tax avoiding Latte sipping Greenies, just ignore these idiots so they can quickly get home to their meaningless lives of watching Sky news and drinking Beer in the toilet.

What I have noticed that is more concerning is electric car drivers parking in charger spots and NOT charging, and what really rattles my cage is when they aren't even plugged in, the arrogant knob has just parked there for convenience, not a big problem with only 4000 electric in the country but a massive issue when there's 400,000 in a few years time.

• Like x 4
  2. Icey

Icey Member

Last week at the Adelaide Supercharger, 3 were charging. A White Model X pulls up and gets out and walks away without plugging in, I mention that you need to plugin whilst here and was told that she paid $200k for the car and will park wherever she wants.
    I felt like prying her charge door open and plugging it in. (Note that Model X needs to be unlocked to open charge door)

• Informative x 1
  3. strood

strood Member

Are you sure? A common practice to people that do this is to plug them in. If you bring the charger up to the door it should open automatically.

Then they’ll get fees for not charging but being plugged in

• Like x 1
  4. Icey

Icey Member

100% - You can not open a model X charging port door when the car is locked.
    Model S you can

Several posts about it and tested myself throughout diffrent FW updates.

• Informative x 2
  5. Murbs

Murbs Member

You're dead right Icey.
    I've got an X and an S and they both do as you described.
    (An S can be plugged-in when it's locked but not subsequently unplugged)

• Informative x 1
  6. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Makes you want to pay $200 for the nearest bomb of a car and drop it in front of her car.

• Like x 1
  7. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

No, you flaten her tires if you see again.
    I called sercurity last week at mall. He put note on windshield. I told a guy at one stop to move it or i would call police, he moved his BMW.
    I have left many notes on cars, sometimes nice, others not.

8. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Fair Dinkum Tesla

Australia has the world's deadliest wildlife, Crocs, Great Whites, Funnel web Spiders, Wild Boars, King Brown Snakes, Stingrays, Box Jellyfish and Drop Bears, no need to call security or police, one well placed Blue Ring Octopus will do the job.

• Funny x 1
  9. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

In Chadstone is happened everyday (2 or 3 times a day) for the past 3 weeks...yes...frustrating....see attached example....

IMG_8012.jpeg

10. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Ignorant or belligerent ICE drivers I can handle, but an EV driver knows better and there’s no excuse for blocking a charging spot without charging.
    Anyway, all these problems are temporary. I remember the days when it used to be considered ostentatious to use a mobile phone.
    Once EVs are mainstream the societal norms will force good behaviour.

11. paulp

paulp Active Member

The adelaide supercharger has council signs stating tesla’s must be plugged in. So although she might have thought she paid a lot for the car, the council wont care and will issue a parking ticket. Given its located at council’s bus depot, there are usually lots of inspectors around, although I suspect they are all on leave at the moment.

• Like x 1
  12. paulp

paulp Active Member

yes that happens often at the Adelaide supercharger. It’s not the most prestigeous location in the cbd.

13. paulp

paulp Active Member

At least it had the decency to fit in by reverse parking. One day these electric spaces will become museum piece spaces, and we’ll all be admiring the old well kept ICE car

14. MNoICE618

MNoICE618 Member

RE the Adelaide superchargers - I spoke with the parking inspectors who happened to be walking by as I was charging. They said the signs are advisory, and currently there is no relevant law as those spots are not council parking spots.

• Informative x 1
  15. paulp

paulp Active Member

They must have leased the land to tesla, as council definately own that patch

16. alexeiw123

alexeiw123 Member

Someone please point future me to this quote if someday I become so rich that I transform in to an ignorant asshole.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2