Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicles blocking charging spots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a bit of discussion at the bottom of this thread Superchargers in Australia concerning charging spots getting ICED that could benefit with a thread of its own.

My impression is ICE drivers in Australia are rarely parking in charging spots on purpose but for those that do there are 3 types;
1. Those that don't realise because the parking spot is poorly marked,
2. The ICE drivers that have been fed the media line that there's only a few hundred cars in the whole of the country so parking in an EV spot won't be an issue, no excuse but if you have a chat to them about the car you'll normally win over a new electric car fan.
3. The rare moron that deliberately parks in the spot because A Bolt told him all Tesla drivers are fuel tax avoiding Latte sipping Greenies, just ignore these idiots so they can quickly get home to their meaningless lives of watching Sky news and drinking Beer in the toilet.

What I have noticed that is more concerning is electric car drivers parking in charger spots and NOT charging, and what really rattles my cage is when they aren't even plugged in, the arrogant knob has just parked there for convenience, not a big problem with only 4000 electric in the country but a massive issue when there's 400,000 in a few years time.

Last week at the Adelaide Supercharger, 3 were charging. A White Model X pulls up and gets out and walks away without plugging in, I mention that you need to plugin whilst here and was told that she paid $200k for the car and will park wherever she wants.
I felt like prying her charge door open and plugging it in. (Note that Model X needs to be unlocked to open charge door)

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: jason66 and GSP
No, you flaten her tires if you see again.
I called sercurity last week at mall. He put note on windshield. I told a guy at one stop to move it or i would call police, he moved his BMW.
I have left many notes on cars, sometimes nice, others not.

No, you flaten her tires if you see again.
I called sercurity last week at mall. He put note on windshield. I told a guy at one stop to move it or i would call police, he moved his BMW.
I have left many notes on cars, sometimes nice, others not.

Australia has the world's deadliest wildlife, Crocs, Great Whites, Funnel web Spiders, Wild Boars, King Brown Snakes, Stingrays, Box Jellyfish and Drop Bears, no need to call security or police, one well placed Blue Ring Octopus will do the job.

• Funny
Reactions: Vegas
In Chadstone is happened everyday (2 or 3 times a day) for the past 3 weeks...yes...frustrating....see attached example....

IMG_8012.jpeg

Ignorant or belligerent ICE drivers I can handle, but an EV driver knows better and there’s no excuse for blocking a charging spot without charging.
Anyway, all these problems are temporary. I remember the days when it used to be considered ostentatious to use a mobile phone.
Once EVs are mainstream the societal norms will force good behaviour.

Last week at the Adelaide Supercharger, 3 were charging. A White Model X pulls up and gets out and walks away without plugging in, I mention that you need to plugin whilst here and was told that she paid $200k for the car and will park wherever she wants.
I felt like prying her charge door open and plugging it in. (Note that Model X needs to be unlocked to open charge door)
The adelaide supercharger has council signs stating tesla’s must be plugged in. So although she might have thought she paid a lot for the car, the council wont care and will issue a parking ticket. Given its located at council’s bus depot, there are usually lots of inspectors around, although I suspect they are all on leave at the moment.

Reactions: Mark E
RE the Adelaide superchargers - I spoke with the parking inspectors who happened to be walking by as I was charging. They said the signs are advisory, and currently there is no relevant law as those spots are not council parking spots.

• Informative
Reactions: paulp
Been to this place a dozen times and only managed to park and plug in twice!!! It's not like that Red Sign staring you in the face as you drive in is easily missed. I was really tempted to reverse-park adjacent to that VW and swing that charging cord over their front bonnet! Actually ...

Attachments

• ICED VW.jpg
    ICED VW.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 89
Toombul is even worse. Has anyone done a design for a "relatively polite" note to stick on these things?
View attachment 457370 View attachment 457371
Wow ... I didn't even know Toombul had car chargers! Are any of these Tesla Destination Chargers? At any rate ... no spare spots for EVs by the looks!!! They're so ignorant and rude!!! Pity the Centres don't do anything about the problem.

Reactions: Fossil Fool