Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendors: Tinting the Model 3's Back Window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm most likely going to put a 70-80% tint on the roof and the windshield glass because I don't want to decrease visibility too much through either. I'd like to put 35-45% on the side windows, just enough so that people looking in are somewhat inhibited but looking out is still pretty clear for myself and passengers.

I would obviously want the back window tint to match the side windows. But how do I do that given the two-tone nature of the back window? The top portion is black like the glass roof section. The lower portion is clear like the rest of the windows. I would prefer to not "over tint" the top portion of the back window and make it hard to see out of. It would defeat the purpose of a glass roof if it was impossible to see out of due to too much tint, at least in my opinion.

What suggestions do you have? How would you go about tinting the back window? Is there something obvious and simple that I'm missing that I should consider?

I'm just curious on your thoughts.

-------------------------

PS - I'm looking to get *every* piece of glass tinted (for Solar Energy reduction), a full body wrap (self-healing, probably including head/tail lights but not door seams), and dual cams.

Looking at doing any leather/upholstery anti stain-absorption treatment, and any window anti fog and rain-x type treatment myself...but if it can be included at a reasonable price I'd be more than willing not to do it myself.

I'm not concerned about top coat gloss treatments to the paint or any wheel treatments. I'm not that concerned with paint correction either, unless it is glaringly awful.

I currently live in Miami and probably will still live in the south Florida area next year. I'd be willing to travel anywhere between Key West and Tampa/Orlando/Space Coast for the work ... depending on cost, quality, expediency, and communication with said shop, obvi.

1ti0to.jpg

When it comes down to tinting your Model 3. You can do 3M Crystalline 60% or 70% on your windshield and roof without reducing visibility. It will reduce glare and a lot of heat. On the sides you can do Crystalline 40%, and on the back glass, IF you want to match the roof you might have to go 20%.

For the full body wrap I recommend Xpel Ultimate or Suntek Ultra, both come with a 10yr warranty. Since you're not interested on adding a ceramic coating on the clear bra, I would recommend going with Suntek Ultra due to the infuse hydrophobic properties it has on the top coat making it easier to care for.

For dual dash cams I recommend the latest BlackVue at the moment your Model 3 comes out UNLESS there's a better one out there as we are constantly looking to provide our customers with the best and latest products.

Leather and fabric protection options can be discussed and included as a package price for your convenience and peace of mind.

We also offer vehicle transport so that you don't have to do the long trip from Miami, risking damaging the vehicle on the way. We have a 2 car enclosed trailer so when your Model 3 arrives we can arrange to pick up 2 of them down in Miami and safe both owners time and money.

Just my $.02 ;)

For tint, I recommend 20% all around. I assume that will match the roof - and I can vouch for the heat resistance. (I'm also located in Miami.) I used 3M if i recall correctly.

Never looked at the wrap / clear bra. Not sure about the value proposition there...

I would've recommended 20% for the sides as well but he's looking for something lighter..By doing the windshield at 60% and the rear glass on 20% it'll make the 40% tint on the sides appear darker than what it really is, UNLESS he chooses to go with a light interior.

How is visibility at night with 20% tint? That's my concern with going darker.

I don't need the back window to match the roof tint. I wanted it to match the side tint, but I guess it doesn't really matter much if the sides and back are slightly staggered.

I have Crystalline 20% on my personal truck. Visibility at night a good. Crystalline seems to be clearer at night than most films are at 20%.
Before you choose the 20% Crystalline, ask for a sample of film you can put on the car and see if you like it.