Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vent: service @ tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla needed service because the wiper arm was scraped against part of the hood. After 2 mobile service appointments, they figured out that the bolt was over tightened and broke off but couldn’t get the bolt out during mobile service and instructed a service center appointment.

Brought my car to Tesla yesterday for an 11am appt. got there at 10:40am and checked in online. Did not get any greeting while the service reps was approaching other cars.

20 mins in, 2 cars in front of me got checked in and brought in the lot. After that, a few cars came along and got checked up on while another car that came before me hadn’t been attended to yet.

Mind you, even though there are 5/6 cars in the waiting area, the reps doesn’t come out routinely to check with other customers. 50 minutes passed, when a rep came out to yet another car that came in 30 min after I did, I asked I’ve been here for 50 minutes and why am I being skipped? The other driver that was there before me came out as well and said that his appointment was for 10:30 and hasn’t been attended to either. The rep we talked to said he’ll go check on our appointments.

After 10mins, the car before me finally got attended to and I should be the next. Yet, another car was attended to that came after.

Finally at 1 hour 20 mins in, I got a txt apologizing and said she’ll be right out. When she came out, I also pointed out my rear passenger side door also doesn’t close without more force. She told me that usually these are fixes that should be done before 100 miles but she won’t charge me for it. (I’m thinking to myself, if I knew that I wouldn’t have accepted the car when i picked it up, it was pointed out to a tech and they said it’s because it’s still new and required time for it to close easier.). So after everything was settled, I was there for 1 hour 40 minutes to drop off the car for service.

Now the kicker. Went to pick up the car today, of course i’ll have to test out the wiper since that’s why I brought it in for. Initiated the wiper and an unpleasant sound came out of it, checked the wiper and it’s scraped again. I would think service would test the fix before releasing the car? Guess not, replace the part and mark it done!

It shouldn’t be so hard to greet a customer and check on cars coming in. When you service something, I would think you would test it after it was done. It’s even worse if they tested it and know the part was still being scrape and has the scraping sound, but decides to release it. Now I would need to have the car serviced once again and waste my time and their time.

Attachments

• 10E397A5-9856-4326-B452-1D3804DF78D4.jpeg
    10E397A5-9856-4326-B452-1D3804DF78D4.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Informative
Reactions: N5329K and cwerdna
I agree the service center experience seems to be just like all the other ICE service centers, terrible! I took my Model 3 in because when they did a wheel alignment the steering wheel was off center. I drove 2 hours to get there and when they were done, and I was on my way home I had to turn around and go back because the steering wheel still wasn't centered. After being there 4 hours total they said it was right this time. It was right at their closing time and I drove home and didn't get a block down the and yep, the steering wheel still wasn't centered. What were they doing all that time with my car?!!! How complicated is it to center the steering wheel?!!!

Resist, your experience definitely had mine beat. Hope you got that taken care of.

I know ppl are saying Tesla isn’t a car company but a technology company. I agree with that thought. But! It doesn’t and shouldn’t take away the fact that you’re putting out a product and should be standing behind your product 100%, instead of mediocre after sales support.

It doesn’t make sense to try to get the repair done but not test it, resulting in more time spent for both themselves and the customers. On top of that, they will need to issue more uber credit and that is more unnecessary spending.

OP, you are correct to complain about this. Good customer service in general is hard to find today, and at Tesla the customer service workers tend to skew younger so they tend to be a bit worse than average. Apologies to young people, I was young too once and experience is an excellent teacher.

However, I have to ask, why did you wait so long before demanding help? If I’m reading correctly you waited over an hour. In your situation, at 11:05, I would have exited my car and walked inside to speak with someone. Using a firm and polite tone, I would have said something like “Hello, I checked in at 10:40 for my 11am appointment. It’s now 11:05, when can I expect someone to get my car into service?” Again polite and firm, not pitching a fit, just giving them a situation report and asking them for the same. As with most things in life, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

There are a couple reasons I didn’t make contact earlier.
1. Car came before me was still ahead of me.
2. Reps are a rare site to see, they don’t roam around and doesn’t have office space that’s accessible.
3. Reps don’t make eye contact with any other customers, straight to a car and straight back to their cave. Now that you mention their age, I actually spoke out loudly to a younger rep that totally ignored me. It was an older rep that said he’ll check on our appts.

I think each center is different. When I lived in CA, the Van Nuys center was top notch. Always took me on time and provided a high level of service. Now that I am in Las Vegas, appointments are a suggested time. More than likely, even if it something small, they will tell you that you have to leave your car as they don’t know when they will get to it.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
@CLLACAB I don’t mind if they need time to diagnose and repair the issue. My issue is with their process of checking in customers, and just rushing out a car without properly testing and verifying if the issue was fixed.

Im not a software engineer but I’m sure they have extensive testing for software. Just think of what would happen if they rush out fsd/autopilot updates without any testing at all.

I have only used the SC to do the hardware upgrade. Everyone was extremely professional and used covid appropriate protocol. Shoutout to the Buena Park Service Center!

My Tesla needed service because the wiper arm was scraped against part of the hood. After 2 mobile service appointments, they figured out that the bolt was over tightened and broke off but couldn’t get the bolt out during mobile service and instructed a service center appointment.

Brought my car to Tesla yesterday for an 11am appt. got there at 10:40am and checked in online. Did not get any greeting while the service reps was approaching other cars.

20 mins in, 2 cars in front of me got checked in and brought in the lot. After that, a few cars came along and got checked up on while another car that came before me hadn’t been attended to yet.

Mind you, even though there are 5/6 cars in the waiting area, the reps doesn’t come out routinely to check with other customers. 50 minutes passed, when a rep came out to yet another car that came in 30 min after I did, I asked I’ve been here for 50 minutes and why am I being skipped? The other driver that was there before me came out as well and said that his appointment was for 10:30 and hasn’t been attended to either. The rep we talked to said he’ll go check on our appointments.

After 10mins, the car before me finally got attended to and I should be the next. Yet, another car was attended to that came after.

Finally at 1 hour 20 mins in, I got a txt apologizing and said she’ll be right out. When she came out, I also pointed out my rear passenger side door also doesn’t close without more force. She told me that usually these are fixes that should be done before 100 miles but she won’t charge me for it. (I’m thinking to myself, if I knew that I wouldn’t have accepted the car when i picked it up, it was pointed out to a tech and they said it’s because it’s still new and required time for it to close easier.). So after everything was settled, I was there for 1 hour 40 minutes to drop off the car for service.

Now the kicker. Went to pick up the car today, of course i’ll have to test out the wiper since that’s why I brought it in for. Initiated the wiper and an unpleasant sound came out of it, checked the wiper and it’s scraped again. I would think service would test the fix before releasing the car? Guess not, replace the part and mark it done!

It shouldn’t be so hard to greet a customer and check on cars coming in. When you service something, I would think you would test it after it was done. It’s even worse if they tested it and know the part was still being scrape and has the scraping sound, but decides to release it. Now I would need to have the car serviced once again and waste my time and their time.

Tesla, while being way ahead on tech, is way behind on customer service/satisfaction. Some SCs are better than others. I like the one in Austin, where I live, but the one time I was in there, there were a lot of upset customers in the waiting area. The mobile techs are a lot more friendly and do a good job of informing you what they are doing and when they are done. I definitely prefer mobile service over the service center. YMMV.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
I know ppl are saying Tesla isn’t a car company but a technology company. I agree with that thought. But! It doesn’t and shouldn’t take away the fact that you’re putting out a product and should be standing behind your product 100%, instead of mediocre after sales support.

It doesn’t make sense to try to get the repair done but not test it, resulting in more time spent for both themselves and the customers. On top of that, they will need to issue more uber credit and that is more unnecessary spending.
They ARE a car company - they manufacture cars right? They just blend a lot of tech into them. This is more evidence that Tesla service SUCKS and needs attention immediately. Just don't understand what the deal is with some SC employees/management. :mad:

Reactions: InternetDude
" She told me that usually these are fixes that should be done before 100 miles but she won’t charge me for it"

The SC reps are the worst at just "making stuff up" on the go... that 100 miles rule is the first i heard. Typically squeaks and rattles, doors closing hard is something they will fix within the first 10k miles.

I agree the service center experience seems to be just like all the other ICE service centers, terrible! I took my Model 3 in because when they did a wheel alignment the steering wheel was off center. I drove 2 hours to get there and when they were done, and I was on my way home I had to turn around and go back because the steering wheel still wasn't centered. After being there 4 hours total they said it was right this time. It was right at their closing time and I drove home and didn't get a block down the and yep, the steering wheel still wasn't centered. What were they doing all that time with my car?!!! How complicated is it to center the steering wheel?!!!

I've had plenty of good experiences at dealerships that were far better than what I've had to deal with at Tesla service. The one exception is the one time my service issues could be dealt with by a mobile technician.