TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Vent Upgrade

Discussion in 'Canada' started by carrerascott, Mar 18, 2013.

1. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Same question here.

2. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

The vent upgrade is a redesigned windshield vent for cold weather climates to prevent fogging/frosting on the leftmost portion of the windshield.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I posted comparison pictures with and without the vent modification here: Fogging - Page 17

4. clea

clea Member

Doug, where are you getting the upgrade done (TO, Laval or by ranger visit)? I have mine scheduled to be done next week.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Eli is dropping by my office tomorrow morning.

6. clea

clea Member

Now that's service! Let's hope the snowstorm passes to the south of us for his sake then ...

7. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Did they contact you or did you have to ask for the upgrade? They told me when I picked up that they would contact me to schedule a time to install the vent...

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

They contacted me. They're probably working through the list in rough order of delivery. I got my car Dec 20.

- - - Updated - - -

For reference purposes, here's what it looks like:

IMG_1561.JPG
    No vent upgrade.

IMG_1560.JPG
    Has vent upgrade.

From the driver or passenger seat you really can't see it.

9. CanuckS#69

CanuckS#69 Member

When I had my car in for something else, Eli did the vent upgrade while it was in anyway. Between that and the 4.3 auto settings being more "auto", the winter HVAC system seems much better acquainted with actual winter. :)

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Nice to see this! I know in the beginning many were saying it was just gunk on the windows. Glad to see Tesla actually looked into, and developed a fix for it

11. Tommy

Tommy Member

That looks like a good solution for the windshield, however, the driver's side window fogs up bad in my car. I can get my windshield to clear fairly rapidly with the existing configuration so I don't need that particular fix. i was under the impression Tesla had a modification to the A pillar that would clear the side window fogging. Any indication from Tesla when that will be available. Directed to those that may be in the know.

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Two observations:

1. The new vents have louvers that direct the air towards the side of the vehicle.

2. We did not have significant problems with the passenger side window; just the driver's side. So I'm going to assume that it is possible to clear the driver's side window from the dashboard vent, if the air is (a) strong enough and (b) directed appropriately.

So I'm going to assume this will fix both windows. Probably will have to wait until December to really verify it.

13. Tommy

Tommy Member

The odd thing is, I live in a mild climate and the windshield fogging was never a problem in my locale, clearing almost immediately when activating the CC button. The driver's side window is another matter thou. In it's current configuration the window fogs easily and obscures the drivers side view mirror. I was hoping for a vent in the A pillar as depicted in the design studio mockup to make for rapid defogging.

14. toto_48313

toto_48313 CAN P #5

Drop my car to the service center tonight in order to install the vent upgrade. Will let you know how it is after when i'll get my car back.

15. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

Will you have it back in time to drive in the week-long snowfall starting tomorrow (i.e. how long did they tell you it would take)?

It will be the snow-baptism for my S, without the vent upgrade though...

16. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Eli installed my vent upgrade today. He's doing six of them while here in Ottawa. Haven't had a chance to properly test it, but it's so wet that maybe on the way home I'll see if I can get it to fog up, then defog it...

17. harry

harry Member

Eli also installed our vents. There is no vent for the A pillar but the new configuration does the job on the driver's window for us.

18. FS_Ottawa

FS_Ottawa Member

I got my vent upgraded last week... Don't know if it works better since the weather has been good, but now there's a rattle in the dash right in the middle behind the display. I was tempted to not get upgrade since I don't like messing with the finish of the car.

anyone else with the upgrade have some rattles?

ps. Doug, I'm your neighbor. Hoping to see you at Starbucks again. :)

19. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Hi F, good to hear from you. I also have a rattle in the center of the dash since the update...

20. patp

patp Member

Also have new rattles...