Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vented seats gone, alcantara dash gone, air suspension gone = new S interior coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be shocked if Tesla does a significant update to the interior of the S/X in the near future. The only reason I say that is that we are close to the introduction of the Model 3, and Tesla can't afford any extra issues with the S. None.

Tesla has spent several years getting the Model S right (or better), and there have been numerous posts all over TMC describing worry about what will happen at the service centers when the 3 is out. Tesla is running at full steam, and they have a lot to focus on. If a new interior is released and there are any issues, it will be disastrous. Adding issues to the S would challenge the already overwhelmed service centers, who will need to be ready to deal quickly with any issues with the 3. The service center personnel would also have the double whammy of having to learn about the 3 and the new S interior. Right now, there are definitely still issues with the S/X, but since they are well established models, most of the fixes are probably readily known.

I agree that the S will likely be redesigned in the next few years, but Tesla's model of constant substantive updates may stretch the typical 5-7 upgrade cycles we see with other automakers. I think they may continue more incremental updates of the interior (similar to the premium seats upgrade) for a while and then do a bigger redesign once the 3 has settled in.

what is the dash now? i see the headliner is still alcantara -- i will say when I ordered my Model S in March 2014 the alcantara dash was the single most favorite thing of mine in the Model S interior. That said.. it wasn't just the material -- it was the contrast of the plastic/leather and the alcantara more than anything.

in the design studio pics I looked at a few minutes ago, it looks like the contrast is still there. but i cannot tell what the material is.

The only thing I'm throwing in is I heard a rumor from someone (who would have sources closer to the source) who heard it from someone (presumably who could have sources closer to the source if not themselves that source) that they are stretched thin. Rumors are rumors.

This would tend to support two mutually compatible theories:
  1. All hands on Model 3 and other current projects (of my two points, this one has more likelihood)
  2. Spare time and a small amount of resources may already be applied in early pipeline stages for Model S & X redesigns (not mutually incompatible with point #1).
As part of point #2, we look at current projects underway:
  • Mars (SpaceX; probably not a lot of resources taken by Tesla staff): applicability close to 0. But, available design resources could be shifted via hiring modifications between the companies.
  • 40 ton Truck (maybe with or without driver, with or without sleeper; current design and engineering project): probably could be using design resources on this; already done??
  • Pickup (further behind Truck): design not yet started? Already started??
  • Van (ditto Pickup)
  • Model 3 (either already in press, or about to be in press, or both (probably working on templates as we speak)*): not much product design activity here left, if any. Design resources previously used for Model 3 probably fully available for other projects.
  • Model Y (coming on the heels of 40 ton truck?): could also be using design resources on this; not yet started, in the middle, or done??
  • Boring Co.: They could be using an unknown amount of design resources for this. They already did design work on that promo vid they sprung on us a few months ago (during Teddie Talk), but maybe movie artists are cheaper. It's quite possible artistry was pretty good from whatever sources Elon has for that type of stuff without taking away any design resources from Tesla.
So, that means most the design work is probably on 40 ton Truck and Model Y, but since they may have lulls of activity in those two, such as not yet at a particular stage or past a particular stage where design work is necessary, that does leave some staff availability for opening up the old Model S & X lines for some design work. As an alternative, they could just wipe out the staff they used for Model 3 and have no one left. They could even do partial designs, perhaps, for Model S & X. This hiring detail and focus would probably be Elon's bailiwick, so I'm pretty certain very few people not in the know have any actual detailed insight into these answers.

I generally agree with the possibilities @calisnow brought up.

---

* I expertly crafted that sentence to not reveal what I saw in the factory during the tour. If you want to know, go on a tour. I didn't see much and I didn't see nothing. (According to TMC users who have worked on automobile factory stamps (outside Tesla), template work is never finished.)
You didn't list one of the biggest use of design resources at present. I am sure there are a lot of engineers focused on future Gigafactory designs. Remember the machine that makes the machine. As Elon has been saying to anyone who will listen, this is Tesla's new primary focus.

You didn't list one of the biggest use of design resources at present. I am sure there are a lot of engineers focused on future Gigafactory designs. Remember the machine that makes the machine. As Elon has been saying to anyone who will listen, this is Tesla's new primary focus.
I suppose you're right; yes, you must be: although I was thinking of most of it as an artistic design issue, Franz von Holzhausen said they interact tightly with Engineering, so if there are any engineering considerations, those resources could be tied up with factory building. At first I forgot to consider those engineers as the same as for the car, but of course they would be (since both product types and the study of engineering are just all math and physics).

To me it would be a shame if such a big company would be stymied to come up with sufficient engineers to keep their multiple product pipelines full, even in lean fit human capacity designs. By the way, I'm a huge proponent and supporter of the concept of lean fit team sizes; if ever my dreams of product capability conflict with small team size ideas, I'd tend to defer to some extent to the latter solution, despite my product capability dismays.

I'm ready to hit the order button for a fully loaded P100DL S, but not before they introduce something new. I have a 2012 P85 S and the wife has a 2016 P90DL X. The blind spot monitors alone are so bad that I'll wait for those to be improved, if nothing else. We also have a 2010 E Class that's in some ways space aged compared to either the S or the X. Put 2017 technology AND comfort in it and I'll buy one tomorrow. At the very least, make available, option or not, everything my 7 year old Mercedes has!

I'm ready to hit the order button for a fully loaded P100DL S, but not before they introduce something new. I have a 2012 P85 S and the wife has a 2016 P90DL X. The blind spot monitors alone are so bad that I'll wait for those to be improved, if nothing else. We also have a 2010 E Class that's in some ways space aged compared to either the S or the X. Put 2017 technology AND comfort in it and I'll buy one tomorrow. At the very least, make available, option or not, everything my 7 year old Mercedes has!
Does your 7 year old Mercedes run on electrons? :)

Does your 7 year old Mercedes run on electrons? :)
Me being much more enamored with the human comforts and provisions of the Mercedes line than the Tesla line ultimately decided to get a Tesla anyway because of this precise reason, @bonnie: I prefer running on electrons.

I may have to take a vacation from that, though, to re-settle finances, selling off my electron wonder, but I fully intend to return to electron propulsion from now on as soon as I am financially able.

It gets worse every day: as I get more and more used to my Tesla, and the memory of the Mercedes fades ever more and more, I am become one with machine, and me and my electron companion are feeling right as one; it's a shame I have to give it up for one of those sickly dirty beasts, even if for a few years only.

I'm going to desperately run one final spreadsheet to see if it really makes sense, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Reactions: bonnie
Me being much more enamored with the human comforts and provisions of the Mercedes line than the Tesla line ultimately decided to get a Tesla anyway because of this precise reason, @bonnie: I prefer running on electrons.

I may have to take a vacation from that, though, to re-settle finances, selling off my electron wonder, but I fully intend to return to electron propulsion from now on as soon as I am financially able.

It gets worse every day: as I get more and more used to my Tesla, and the memory of the Mercedes fades ever more and more, I am become one with machine, and me and my electron companion are feeling right as one; it's a shame I have to give it up for one of those sickly dirty beasts, even if for a few years only.

I'm going to desperately run one final spreadsheet to see if it really makes sense, but I'm not holding out much hope.
I wish you luck ... and a small dose of miracle, if needed. Stay around even if you have to sell.

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo
There has also been the optimization of removing certain interior trim options.

To me the idea that this might foreshadow a interior - or dash at least - refresh sounds perfectly plausible. Go through existing parts inventory before moving to the new design...

There is, after all, the rumor that claims Model S/X (not 3) is getting a new dash where the instrument cluster screen is replaced by a large (third of windshield or the like) HUD.

With a HUD the old top of the dash being discontinued certainly would make sense...

My recommendation is not to buy a Model S/X at this time but to wait for at least the Model 3 unveil to see if anything comes to Model S/X at that time.

I think you're exactly right and that's why I haven't bought a Model S yet. I want one so bad I can taste it! I've waited many years to have one and finally have the money, but figure I should wait at least until after Model 3 unveil to see if they add or change anything on Model S to make it that much more appealing over Model 3.

S change is coming. My sources source's uncles brothers nephew wrote a blog about it.

In 2020 the new model S.

If your an android fan boy or apple. We all know a new phone comes out every year, but we still buy it? Correct?

Now phones and cars big difference but every year something will change. Just order and enjoy. I just ordered mine and said F it. Who cares? If new one comes and it's that much more amazing I'll trade (yes it's a loss but aren't all cars?) and get the new one.

Predicting that model s just got a refresh means they will at least use this for another 1.5 years.

I work for a large enterprise that is full of product managers and layer upon layer of product and design teams (+200k employees). My personal take is that Elon Musk originally intended for the Model 3 to have some type of advanced HUD or "next generation" display that was indeed "spaceship like" and would knock our socks off. This was very clear in his opening round of tweets. He had clearly seen an interior experience ( UI/ UX / CX) along with an interior design aesthetic that had to have been better than today's best "S-class" Mercedes interiors (which are pretty amazing at night)...

However, after his tweets and comments, it appears to me that the product managers and various product owners pulled him back in and told him the Model S/X must always be their luxury brand and got him to buy into the typical auto product line / mentality. What I believe is that the original "spaceship" model 3 interior / HUD will be put on the Model S / X - my guess is that this would occur the same night as the Model 3 final unveil. I think they will show two tricks up their sleeve.

I believe they will show their $35k model 3 as promised.... and amazing changes to the Model S/X that were originally mentioned by Musk last year. In the end, I sense that Musk realized he can't cannibalize their $100K+ product lines.

Plus, he knows there is a significant % of Model 3 reservations holders who will just upgrade to a Model S / X if it has the new spaceship interior. Those assembly lines are up and running. So moving the spaceship like interior (and or HUD) to the Model S / X helps him in multiple ways. Its a higher margin, the S/X lines are running at higher scale, this removes some of the strain and backlog of M3 reservation holders, it further establishes his brand - particularly in other European and Asian markets... etc....

After the spaceship interior / HUD reveal, I would suspect Tesla to lock up plans for at least 2 Gigafactories outside of the USA to better handle global mfg & distribution. Having the spaceship like interior on their highest end product just makes it that much easier to attain funding. The stock will blow thru the roof, capital and debt markets will open their pocket books and the cycle keeps going.

Tesla has hired some of the best interior design talent out there. Do not underestimate what designers can do when given free rein to blow your socks off. I suspect they havd something special for the M3 but moved it over to the S / X for a plethora of reasons - including the need to avoid a repeat of the headaches of getting the Model X out the door.

I work for a large enterprise that is full of product managers and layer upon layer of product and design teams (+200k employees). My personal take is that Elon Musk originally intended for the Model 3 to have some type of advanced HUD or "next generation" display that was indeed "spaceship like" and would knock our socks off. This was very clear in his opening round of tweets. He had clearly seen an interior experience ( UI/ UX / CX) along with an interior design aesthetic that had to have been better than today's best "S-class" Mercedes interiors (which are pretty amazing at night)...

However, after his tweets and comments, it appears to me that the product managers and various product owners pulled him back in and told him the Model S/X must always be their luxury brand and got him to buy into the typical auto product line / mentality. What I believe is that the original "spaceship" model 3 interior / HUD will be put on the Model S / X - my guess is that this would occur the same night as the Model 3 final unveil. I think they will show two tricks up their sleeve.

I believe they will show their $35k model 3 as promised.... and amazing changes to the Model S/X that were originally mentioned by Musk last year. In the end, I sense that Musk realized he can't cannibalize their $100K+ product lines.

Plus, he knows there is a significant % of Model 3 reservations holders who will just upgrade to a Model S / X if it has the new spaceship interior. Those assembly lines are up and running. So moving the spaceship like interior (and or HUD) to the Model S / X helps him in multiple ways. Its a higher margin, the S/X lines are running at higher scale, this removes some of the strain and backlog of M3 reservation holders, it further establishes his brand - particularly in other European and Asian markets... etc....

After the spaceship interior / HUD reveal, I would suspect Tesla to lock up plans for at least 2 Gigafactories outside of the USA to better handle global mfg & distribution. Having the spaceship like interior on their highest end product just makes it that much easier to attain funding. The stock will blow thru the roof, capital and debt markets will open their pocket books and the cycle keeps going.

Tesla has hired some of the best interior design talent out there. Do not underestimate what designers can do when given free rein to blow your socks off. I suspect they havd something special for the M3 but moved it over to the S / X for a plethora of reasons - including the need to avoid a repeat of the headaches of getting the Model X out the door.

I find this speculation likely to be true.

Reactions: calisnow
what is the dash now? i see the headliner is still alcantara -- i will say when I ordered my Model S in March 2014 the alcantara dash was the single most favorite thing of mine in the Model S interior. That said.. it wasn't just the material -- it was the contrast of the plastic/leather and the alcantara more than anything. in the design studio pics I looked at a few minutes ago, it looks like the contrast is still there. but i cannot tell what the material is.

My 2017 S90D without PuP has all smooth Nappa leather (or look a like) with contrast stitching. I don't know what the non-alcantara PuP cars produced this summer will have. Huge change from pre-refresh cars.

My 2017 S90D without PuP has all smooth Nappa leather (or look a like) with contrast stitching. I don't know what the non-alcantara PuP cars produced this summer will have. Huge change from pre-refresh cars.

does it "feel" luxurious?

when I 1st saw the alcantara dash in a showroom prior to ordering I was very pleased. I was also surprised that such a minor feature could really do so much to up the "luxe" factor of an otherwise spartan interior. I mean Tesla interiors have a ways to go before matching something like Mercedes, but every little bit does help.

Reactions: gowthamn
Well if Sir Elon would hurry up and tweet that there was a new interior and significant changes coming to the Model S...at least then we would know it wasn't going to really happen.

IMG_1636.JPG