TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Vented seats gone, alcantara dash gone, air suspension gone = new S interior coming

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Jun 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ohji

Ohji Member

I would be shocked if Tesla does a significant update to the interior of the S/X in the near future. The only reason I say that is that we are close to the introduction of the Model 3, and Tesla can't afford any extra issues with the S. None.

Tesla has spent several years getting the Model S right (or better), and there have been numerous posts all over TMC describing worry about what will happen at the service centers when the 3 is out. Tesla is running at full steam, and they have a lot to focus on. If a new interior is released and there are any issues, it will be disastrous. Adding issues to the S would challenge the already overwhelmed service centers, who will need to be ready to deal quickly with any issues with the 3. The service center personnel would also have the double whammy of having to learn about the 3 and the new S interior. Right now, there are definitely still issues with the S/X, but since they are well established models, most of the fixes are probably readily known.

I agree that the S will likely be redesigned in the next few years, but Tesla's model of constant substantive updates may stretch the typical 5-7 upgrade cycles we see with other automakers. I think they may continue more incremental updates of the interior (similar to the premium seats upgrade) for a while and then do a bigger redesign once the 3 has settled in.

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  2. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

what is the dash now? i see the headliner is still alcantara -- i will say when I ordered my Model S in March 2014 the alcantara dash was the single most favorite thing of mine in the Model S interior. That said.. it wasn't just the material -- it was the contrast of the plastic/leather and the alcantara more than anything.

in the design studio pics I looked at a few minutes ago, it looks like the contrast is still there. but i cannot tell what the material is.

3. kbM3

kbM3 Active Member

You didn't list one of the biggest use of design resources at present. I am sure there are a lot of engineers focused on future Gigafactory designs. Remember the machine that makes the machine. As Elon has been saying to anyone who will listen, this is Tesla's new primary focus.

4. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

I suppose you're right; yes, you must be: although I was thinking of most of it as an artistic design issue, Franz von Holzhausen said they interact tightly with Engineering, so if there are any engineering considerations, those resources could be tied up with factory building. At first I forgot to consider those engineers as the same as for the car, but of course they would be (since both product types and the study of engineering are just all math and physics).

To me it would be a shame if such a big company would be stymied to come up with sufficient engineers to keep their multiple product pipelines full, even in lean fit human capacity designs. By the way, I'm a huge proponent and supporter of the concept of lean fit team sizes; if ever my dreams of product capability conflict with small team size ideas, I'd tend to defer to some extent to the latter solution, despite my product capability dismays.

5. ltgfrk

ltgfrk Member

I'm ready to hit the order button for a fully loaded P100DL S, but not before they introduce something new. I have a 2012 P85 S and the wife has a 2016 P90DL X. The blind spot monitors alone are so bad that I'll wait for those to be improved, if nothing else. We also have a 2010 E Class that's in some ways space aged compared to either the S or the X. Put 2017 technology AND comfort in it and I'll buy one tomorrow. At the very least, make available, option or not, everything my 7 year old Mercedes has!

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  6. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Does your 7 year old Mercedes run on electrons? :)

7. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

Me being much more enamored with the human comforts and provisions of the Mercedes line than the Tesla line ultimately decided to get a Tesla anyway because of this precise reason, @bonnie: I prefer running on electrons.

I may have to take a vacation from that, though, to re-settle finances, selling off my electron wonder, but I fully intend to return to electron propulsion from now on as soon as I am financially able.

It gets worse every day: as I get more and more used to my Tesla, and the memory of the Mercedes fades ever more and more, I am become one with machine, and me and my electron companion are feeling right as one; it's a shame I have to give it up for one of those sickly dirty beasts, even if for a few years only.

I'm going to desperately run one final spreadsheet to see if it really makes sense, but I'm not holding out much hope.

• Like x 1
  8. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I wish you luck ... and a small dose of miracle, if needed. Stay around even if you have to sell.

• Love x 1
  9. Bluejuice

Bluejuice Member

I think you're exactly right and that's why I haven't bought a Model S yet. I want one so bad I can taste it! I've waited many years to have one and finally have the money, but figure I should wait at least until after Model 3 unveil to see if they add or change anything on Model S to make it that much more appealing over Model 3.

10. James Anders

James Anders Member

No major S change before Model Y. Drastic new things are coming for the Y. New factory. Optimized Assy. Only after they learn from the Y will they attempt a re-do of the S.

11. Mrwatchdawg

Mrwatchdawg Member

S change is coming. My sources source's uncles brothers nephew wrote a blog about it.

In 2020 the new model S.

If your an android fan boy or apple. We all know a new phone comes out every year, but we still buy it? Correct?

Now phones and cars big difference but every year something will change. Just order and enjoy. I just ordered mine and said F it. Who cares? If new one comes and it's that much more amazing I'll trade (yes it's a loss but aren't all cars?) and get the new one.

Predicting that model s just got a refresh means they will at least use this for another 1.5 years.

12. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

The title needs to be changed to:

Vented seats gone, alcantara dash gone, air suspension gone = RUMOR new S interior coming

• Like x 1
  13. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

The last character was supposed to be a "?" but my finger didn't depress the key far enough and then my pinkie hit "enter" and it was too late - really wish thread titles were editable - at least for a couple minutes after launching the thread.

14. AZ-3

AZ-3 Member

I work for a large enterprise that is full of product managers and layer upon layer of product and design teams (+200k employees). My personal take is that Elon Musk originally intended for the Model 3 to have some type of advanced HUD or "next generation" display that was indeed "spaceship like" and would knock our socks off. This was very clear in his opening round of tweets. He had clearly seen an interior experience ( UI/ UX / CX) along with an interior design aesthetic that had to have been better than today's best "S-class" Mercedes interiors (which are pretty amazing at night)...

However, after his tweets and comments, it appears to me that the product managers and various product owners pulled him back in and told him the Model S/X must always be their luxury brand and got him to buy into the typical auto product line / mentality. What I believe is that the original "spaceship" model 3 interior / HUD will be put on the Model S / X - my guess is that this would occur the same night as the Model 3 final unveil. I think they will show two tricks up their sleeve.

I believe they will show their $35k model 3 as promised.... and amazing changes to the Model S/X that were originally mentioned by Musk last year. In the end, I sense that Musk realized he can't cannibalize their $100K+ product lines.

Plus, he knows there is a significant % of Model 3 reservations holders who will just upgrade to a Model S / X if it has the new spaceship interior. Those assembly lines are up and running. So moving the spaceship like interior (and or HUD) to the Model S / X helps him in multiple ways. Its a higher margin, the S/X lines are running at higher scale, this removes some of the strain and backlog of M3 reservation holders, it further establishes his brand - particularly in other European and Asian markets... etc....

After the spaceship interior / HUD reveal, I would suspect Tesla to lock up plans for at least 2 Gigafactories outside of the USA to better handle global mfg & distribution. Having the spaceship like interior on their highest end product just makes it that much easier to attain funding. The stock will blow thru the roof, capital and debt markets will open their pocket books and the cycle keeps going.

Tesla has hired some of the best interior design talent out there. Do not underestimate what designers can do when given free rein to blow your socks off. I suspect they havd something special for the M3 but moved it over to the S / X for a plethora of reasons - including the need to avoid a repeat of the headaches of getting the Model X out the door.

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  15. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

16. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

I find this speculation likely to be true.

• Like x 1
  17. daktari

daktari Member

My 2017 S90D without PuP has all smooth Nappa leather (or look a like) with contrast stitching. I don't know what the non-alcantara PuP cars produced this summer will have. Huge change from pre-refresh cars.

18. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

does it "feel" luxurious?

when I 1st saw the alcantara dash in a showroom prior to ordering I was very pleased. I was also surprised that such a minor feature could really do so much to up the "luxe" factor of an otherwise spartan interior. I mean Tesla interiors have a ways to go before matching something like Mercedes, but every little bit does help.

• Like x 1
  19. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

Well if Sir Elon would hurry up and tweet that there was a new interior and significant changes coming to the Model S...at least then we would know it wasn't going to really happen.

IMG_1636.JPG

• Funny x 3
    • Love x 1
  20. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Also the "gone" is incorrect for all 3 cases in the title.

• Informative x 1