TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Vented seats gone, alcantara dash gone, air suspension gone = new S interior coming

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Jun 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

Actually, I believe it was a tweet by EM. He responded to a HUD question for the M3 by saying that the HUD makes no sense for a car that will eventually be driving itself.

2. daktari

daktari Member

In my eyes, yes very much so. Big improvement from pre refresh. But a feeling is a highly subjective topic or what!?

3. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

He just tweeted no plans to shift to 2170 batteries on the s or x

4. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Active Member

What if 2170's are only cheaper, and in many ways score less until a big chemistry update? At 100kWh, the pack may not durably offer the amps to keep up with the current 100kWh cars. Would be hard to explain a performance drop with new cells which are cheaper to make but don't come at a great discount.

5. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

upload_2017-6-19_21-36-24.png

6. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

What do you mean?

7. zjfk2

zjfk2 Member

There are also inventory cars with big discounts and 50 miles listed again. Last time I saw this, I ordered my model s and ap2 hardware came out the day after my car was delivered.

• Informative x 1
  8. JoaoD

JoaoD Tech Enthusiast

You just missed the part where Elon said that AP2 was what we was referring to with the "feels like a spaceship" comment.

9. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Model S still looks great to me... it is aging very well - likely due in large part to the large screen and OTA updates.

That said, I recall that most automobiles follow a mid-model refresh around 4 years in and new body style at about 7 years. Given Model S was first sold in 2012 and refresh was 2016... maybe we will see a next-gen Model S in 2018? Seems like good timing (also in line with the hiring of the Volvo interior exec).

10. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I expect a major interior refresh within a year (quite possibly less). The exterior refresh has already happened so it's only logical that the interior get the same treatment.

11. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

I disagree... typically you get a mid-cycle refresh but retain most of the integral components then you get an "all-new" vehicle at the end of the current cycle. Although the exterior still looks current I would expect Tesla to drop an all-new (next-gen) Model S on us in the next 1-3 years.

12. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Even though Tesla is not a typical manufacturer, most high end sedans have an 8 to 10 year product cycle. That would put the Model S right in the middle of it's current cycle. I can foresee another possible minor exterior refresh and a complete overhaul of the interior before a completely new car comes out.

• Like x 1
  13. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Active Member

Now hat they are becoming a bigger manufacturer and more specifically, working toward making half a million Model 3's each year, I can't see how the S/X (capacity around 100,000) can be kept so slow and costly. It's got the same amount of seats, windows, wheels, steering wheels, etc, etc. Just a car. As they are developing Model Y to be much simpler to make still vs Model 3, it seems like a no-brainer to re-do S and X. S first. With so many being sold, why keep so much money on the table, or with price drop, the potential to increase sales significantly?

14. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

Simplification of the Model S may be to speed assembly and lower costs. With Model 3 competition, perhaps pricing needs to be competitive.

I look forward to a new generation of rapid Supercharging. A 5 to 10 minute wait for 300 miles of range would revolutionize the BEV drive cross country.

With full autonomy, vehicle interiors can change dramatically. Dramatic design change is what I would expect to see in the next few years.

Tricky business of designing the interior of autonomous vehicles

• Like x 1
  15. Olle

Olle Member

These three measures are needed minimize number of parts ahead of Model 3 production IMHO. Dash and seats obvious.
    Suspension: only one version of steel springs now needed since it is for the light car. (75) Only one type of air spring needed for the heavy car only.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Sorry for the slow response. Haven't been at-keyboard much.

Maybe the other two aren't available, but air suspension is definitely available in the configurator. At least it was when I looked yesterday.

17. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

No worries - yes but typing "...gone except for the 100kwhr battery" wouldn't fit in the title :D

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

lack of correctness is a slippery slope to clickbait... ;)

19. eJonny

eJonny Member

I actually purchased a MS from inventory in order to 1) get the free supercharging and 2) get the ventilated seats. While I was going back and forth with my owner advisor, all the free supercharging changes happened. But I still locked in on the inventory vehicle because of the seats. And I love the Alcantara.

But I agree that the blind spot monitoring is pretty bad. I suspect something can be done with software considering that I have HW2, and I don't think all the cameras are being used yet. With today's announcement about Chris Lattiner, maybe we'll see things pick up in terms of improvements to the current virtual "instrument cluster" considering I don't have an issue with any of the other interior appointments (which I admit seems strange that my favorite parts have disappeared).

20. P100DHG.

P100DHG. Member

Reviving this thread.

Did alcantara dash get discontinued?