Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ventilate seat? Really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my MX is equipped with premium package including ventilate seat. But sadly I can hardly feel it. Even if I turn it to the Max 3. Can hardly feel any air blowing. I used own a Mercedes and the ventilate seat is quite obvious. Is my seat defective?
In Southern California. You definitely want a ventilate seat.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
my MX is equipped with premium package including ventilate seat. But sadly I can hardly feel it. Even if I turn it to the Max 3. Can hardly feel any air blowing. I used own a Mercedes and the ventilate seat is quite obvious. Is my seat defective?

@Simon_elf I was always hoping that Tessa would add this option for Model S... it wasn't around when we got our car in 2013... look forward to having you demonstrate it to me at a club meet

Mine don't work well either and others complained about the same issue. That is why Tesla discontinued them as they never worked.
I thought it was more of an issue how perforated tesla upholstery was showing premature signs of stretch / wear - rather than low air volume that lead to discontinue. It's not a bad idea, and as the OP pointed out, way less expensive cars have it w/out premature leather/pleather stretch & low air volume. Isn't that why Tesla poached Volvo's head of interiors? Volvo does have some WAY comfortable - durable seating.

I have no experience with the ventilated seats of a Tesla, but I also own a Lexus. Lexus is really great on loaners when the car is in for anything, so I get to try out other cars, and some of them have had ventilated seats. The first time I got a loaner with ventilated seats, I tried it out and turned it as high as it would go. I was sorely disappointed in how little airflow I could detect. I deemed the feature useless. But in about 4 blocks, my nether regions were amply chilly. I dismissed the effectiveness far too readily. I would like that on my next car.

Sadly, that won't be available on a Tesla in the foreseeable future. But Tesla is obviously aware of the feature and likely is engineering a system they like better. I've heard no reports that it consumes too much power or anything. So, I expect to see it back eventually. But I don't believe I've seen a post suggesting that the first attempt was impressive.

Sadly, that won't be available on a Tesla in the foreseeable future. But Tesla is obviously aware of the feature and likely is engineering a system they like better. I've heard no reports that it consumes too much power or anything. So, I expect to see it back eventually. But I don't believe I've seen a post suggesting that the first attempt was impressive.

Well, you could get it if 1) you want a used Model X, AP1, or 2) some inventory 90/P90s may ave it if available. I don't think any of the new 100Ds/P100Ds used/inventory will have it (maybe some earliest P100Ds do) or any future AP2 cars of course ordered new.

I personally like the perforated seats, and the ventilation seemed to work fine on high during a long road trip last Summer. Plan on keeping the X when we move to Texas in a few years so should come in more handy then versus here in Chicago.

Reactions: JHWJR
I happen to have them, and tried it yesterday for the first time because it's not hot yet in Northern CA.

Definitely separate fan system audible, but the benefit is TBD. Let me go thru the summer test period....to make an opinion.

I'll pay attention to what others note, like how and where (and if) it cools most.

I am glad that I have it. I am in Texas in hot and humid conditions. I definitely notice the difference. It performs the task of cooling the seat. I have seen a couple times where Elon reacts much too quick to complaints not understanding that the complaints actually only represent a very small percentage of users. Happy users don't post.

Last edited:

Does the seat keep you from sweating? It does not blow - it sucks air into the vents. The principle at work is to create a vacuum against your skin/shirt - thus increasing evaporation rate of moisture - keeping you dry and cool. So - my question is - is this working? Are you sweating where you skin contacts the seat, even when the ventilation fans are turned all the way up?