Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ventilated Seats option is quietly removed from the "Premium Package"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same.

While I considered asking for a special order to do PUP but without the perforated seats on our Model X order two weeks ago, 1) that's a hassle and takes me away from the ease of one-click car ordering, and 2) there's a chance they slip up and the factory misses the exception and still builds it with perforated seats and I'm stuck with it.

With two young kids, my wife and I very much do not want the perforated seats and it would have been a deal breaker to end up with them.

Long time lurker, perhaps a weird first post. But I actually tried to do what you considered and was told they couldn't build a PUP car without the ventilation/perforated seats when I ordered back in September. So I ended up same as you - opting out of PUP.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Imagine what Merceded would charge you if you asked them to replace their ICE engine for full electric drive.

As a side note, even though Tesla eliminated the white paint option, they said they will still paint my X white and honor their original specification.

Only Tesla knows for sure why they stopped offering the ventilated seats.

Reactions: CarlK
It isn't just lack of interior options. It is lack of interior features.

I get it that coming from a lower-end it may not be so apparent, but compare a loaded A8/7 Series/S Class with a Model S/X - heck even the model classes beneath those - and the interiors and interior features are simply on a different planet.

Tesla is going the wrong way recently...

Reactions: Mjølner and ABC2D
A luxury car with no option for ventilated seats. PUP price remains the same with the removal. More profits yay.

On a side note, are there people who will not consider a Tesla because of the lack of ventilated seats?

I remember a few people who were delayed their orders a few months because they thought ventilated seats were coming. I would be surprised if anyone would not order the car at all because of it. Of course if you believe Tesla is going to release an improved version, perhaps people will wait for that now. It's a never ending game with Tesla.

I remember a few people who were delayed their orders a few months because they thought ventilated seats were coming. I would be surprised if anyone would not order the car at all because of it. Of course if you believe Tesla is going to release an improved version, perhaps people will wait for that now. It's a never ending game with Tesla.

Elon said at some point - in response to a question or comment about lack of Tesla model years - that the best time to buy a Tesla is always "now".

Equally one could argue it is: never.

With this level of random giveth and taketh, it is very hard to choose a good time to buy, beyond some big ticket items such as AP2.

This is absurd... Yet another fail by Tesla with ZERO communication as to why... People waited YEARS to have the ventilated seat option and for it to simply be removed without any explanation as to why is mind boggling... A car that costs this much shouldn't be without this optional equipment, it just shouldn't...

I don't understand why Tesla keeps doing these things that make no sense, or if there is a logical reason, why they refuse to communicate that to anyone?

I badly want to order a Model X, but Tesla keeps making it damn difficult to do so...

Can anyone think of a reason why they would do this?

Jeff

Interestingly, when I was looking at MX configurations at the Tesla Store before ordering, an employee there said the perforated ventilated seats were a top reason to get PUP. He said that people coming from MB were big on ventilated seats. On a side note, my MX ventilated seats work very well for me. I feel the distinct cooling effect. My wife, however, claims she doesn't feel them. Perhaps there are other variables at play about their effectiveness, such as what clothing one wears....

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Its probably because everyone is complaining about every single little tiny thing. Ghosting, FWD, .. People complaining of wrinkling leather, useless ventilation.. so they dumped it. They probably got sick of some guys who wanted their leather completely rewrapped because of some minor wrinkling issue or something. Glad I got it before they got rid of it!
mo!

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: madodel and ABC2D
It sounds good in theory, but the amount of suction we get from our X seats is almost unnoticeable. Bjørn has a youtube video where he used a sheet of paper to demonstrate how little suction there was. I think I'd prefer AC seats, but I could be wrong.
I don't trust the results of that video. The thing with suction is that there aren't a million tiny little fans creating suction at every pinhole, there are one or two fans creating a low pressure environment inside the seat. You can't sample a small number of the holes to determine the direction or strength of the airflow. If you have an area of several square feet through which the low pressure can be equalized and you try to cover maybe 1 square foot, there won't be much pressure on that one square foot because the remaining area can still equalize the pressure just fine. You need to cover 90% of the seat as it would be covered if a person was sitting in it, then you can get a reasonable air flow from the remaining 10% to discover its strength and direction.

I don't trust the results of that video. The thing with suction is that there aren't a million tiny little fans creating suction at every pinhole, there are one or two fans creating a low pressure environment inside the seat. You can't sample a small number of the holes to determine the direction or strength of the airflow. If you have an area of several square feet through which the low pressure can be equalized and you try to cover maybe 1 square foot, there won't be much pressure on that one square foot because the remaining area can still equalize the pressure just fine. You need to cover 90% of the seat as it would be covered if a person was sitting in it, then you can get a reasonable air flow from the remaining 10% to discover its strength and direction.

Indeed.

I think a big problem is that a lot of people simply are not familiar with suction seats. I mean they are available in a very limited section of the car market - luxury cars.

I have noticed a lot of people come to Tesla from stuff that is not its natural car comparison. The ventilated suction seats are immediately familiar coming from an Audi A8 - or similar same price range premium sedan/SUV - and is the type of finesse expected on that type of vehicle.

If you come from something very different, your expectations may be different too.