Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ventilated Seats option is quietly removed from the "Premium Package"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And the end of unlimited SuC. I fully expect the 100D to be announced this week, unless Tesla extends the cutoff date again.
I think the extension was due to the delay in releasing the pricing for the new SC program - if you replace unlimited with limited then the details and rates of that "limited" should be released at the the same time. Cant say "hey, unlimited is now limited, but we dont know how much limited will cost". Since the pricing for the SC is now released, I dont think they extend again

What exactly is better about the Mercedes or Audi? I had a Jaguar XJL before the Tesla and the only thing I see different is the massage seats and at that time...ventilated seats. I didn't realize there are more options that we are missing beyond that.
My Jaguar seats were much superior to the Tesla. I had to keep the cooled seats on low on the Jaguar as it would really blow the cold air. On the Tesla you barely feel the seats blowing cool air.

The 100D announcement will probably be released, but those with orders already before January 15th and switch from a 60, 75 or 90 kW battery to a 100D will have deliveries after April 1st, so no more lifetime free supercharging. Tesla thinking that longer range will require less Supercharger usage and people will rely more on destination charging.

Don't the seats suck? No not that way, I mean literally. Why is everyone assuming blow? Why am I also thinking about Spaceballs now?
tumblr_mkpg7cF7bs1rg0lgoo3_500.gif

Tesla Ventilated seats were lame...was a waist for us and they were loud. Glad they realized to throw them out
Aside from being loud (and only usable on the loud setting), I like to use the seat ventilator when returning from exercise classes in my Model X. The ventilated seats help to cool me down and also reduce perspiration. I still use them now in the wintertime. In the summer, the seat ventilators help keep the seat at a tolerable temperature. I can really notice the difference as compared to my Model S that does not have ventilated seats.

My Jaguar seats were much superior to the Tesla. I had to keep the cooled seats on low on the Jaguar as it would really blow the cold air. On the Tesla you barely feel the seats blowing cool air.

That's because it is not blowing air at all (at you anyway). It is sucking air.

German premiums went the same way, moving away from cooled seats (like in your Jaguar) to suction seats because the former are not really very comfortable or good for you (freezing your downstairs).

Suction seats are a subtle solution that moves air and moisture away from you.

But people have different preferences of course. Just explaining the different concept. I get it that a many people like seats that freeze underneath them instead of a more subtle experience.

Don't the seats suck? No not that way, I mean literally. Why is everyone assuming blow? Why am I also thinking about Spaceballs now?

This is the big misunderstanding.

Tesla communicated this one poorly too.

When Audi did suction seats, they made a big deal out of it, how it was an upgrade (it has been the more expensive option at Audi, in models with choice between the two). Which, in the Audi A8 at least, it certainly was IMO. Instead of sitting on a wet towel or an AC, suction is a more premium experience in a way, as it is not really meant to be felt.

But of course if your expectation is to freeze your nether regions, then one would walk away disappointed.

Reactions: Mjølner
The 100D announcement will probably be released, but those with orders already before January 15th and switch from a 60, 75 or 90 kW battery to a 100D will have deliveries after April 1st, so no more lifetime free supercharging. Tesla thinking that longer range will require less Supercharger usage and people will rely more on destination charging.
They also moved the delivery deadline to April 15.

Aside from being loud (and only usable on the loud setting), I like to use the seat ventilator when returning from exercise classes in my Model X. The ventilated seats help to cool me down and also reduce perspiration. I still use them now in the wintertime. In the summer, the seat ventilators help keep the seat at a tolerable temperature. I can really notice the difference as compared to my Model S that does not have ventilated seats.
I don't think AZ knows what winter-time is! If you were from Boston and used it in the winter-time, I'd be more impressed. ;)

I'm sure the suction seats do help a lot, it's just that its not very noticeable when they're on. I'm glad I have them, and I hope Tesla brings them back.

I don't think AZ knows what winter-time is! If you were from Boston and used it in the winter-time, I'd be more impressed. ;)

I'm sure the suction seats do help a lot, it's just that its not very noticeable when they're on. I'm glad I have them, and I hope Tesla brings them back.

I guess that really is the point of suction seats. They are not meant to be noticeable. It is like the middle front passenger air vent (facing away from passengers) that premium cars added years ago over the usual vents. I think they used to call that the lady vent, because of market research saying the ladies preferred indirect air more often than the gents (whom I guess more often direct the vents at their face or something).

Thinking of the suction seats as indirect ventilation helps understand what it is trying to accomplish.

Now, whether or not the concept works for you, that comes down to preference (and of course execution). Some people do prefer cold air blowing at their face... and butt. And we can't rule out Tesla having had execution issues on this as well.

Reactions: vandacca
This is the big misunderstanding.

Tesla communicated this one poorly too.

When Audi did suction seats, they made a big deal out of it, how it was an upgrade (it has been the more expensive option at Audi, in models with choice between the two). Which, in the Audi A8 at least, it certainly was IMO. Instead of sitting on a wet towel or an AC, suction is a more premium experience in a way, as it is not really meant to be felt.

But of course if your expectation is to freeze your nether regions, then one would walk away disappointed.

Yeah, all I want is to not leave the car all sweaty just from driving.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Tesla has reached the point where in order to justify $165,000 price, they have to start adding options not removing them. I recently took a look at a $160k S-class and... d*mn, Tesla has some homework to do!

I recently took a look at a $160k S-class and said d*mn, why does this thing have such a small console display, have all this machinery taking up space in the frunk, shake and vibrate and make a huge racket when it starts up, not recover kinetic energy when you slow down, force you to visit a refueling vendor every week, require you to clean out dirty toxic oil from its engine all the time, and spew toxic gasses from the back that will literally kill you? Mercedes has some homework to do!

Get some perspective people!

Lot of pants wetting over this whole thing...maybe that's why you need your seats to dry them out...

Last edited:
Please explain "sub-par"; what kind of system is used by Tesla to ventilate the seats?

Early on in the life of the Model S, Tesla had troubles with the vendor supplying seats, so it took seat manufacturing in-house. Probably also because of unique requirements of the second row seats in the 6 and 7 seat configurations of Model X.

My guess is due to lack of experience, their ventilated seats weren't designed very well. Maybe they don't move enough air, maybe the perforations tear too easily. In either case, or both, I'm guessing they decided to pull the seats until they can sort it all out. Maybe this will be one of the things that the interior manufacturing engineer they poached from Volvo will work on fixing.

Fwiw I can't speak for all but I have to wonder if some of the complaints are due to inconsistencies. I drove a X a month ago and in that vehicle the seat cooling worked really well and made me want the feature. Today I drove a different X and turned them on (and it's even cold out) and I couldn't feel them making any difference at all after 3-5 min.