TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Venting about future steering wheel

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SlicedBr3ad, Mar 27, 2018.

1. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

#1 SlicedBr3ad, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    I know I'm late to the party. However, in anticipation of interment vin assignment and future delivery I need to vent. how could tesla get it so wrong!!!!

This (yey)
    B604B777-B57F-48A9-83A5-7E00F9BC5C8D.jpeg

Vs

This (ugh)
    9AEA7F11-9EA3-465F-BCD8-4BA4A255686D.jpeg

• Disagree x 9
    • Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
  2. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

I have had all the tesla models and before those a new car every two years over 40 years with many luxury cars. I like the feel size and comfort of the model3 wheel the most including the scroll wheels. Do wish it was heated but the heating so strong in car that I find it ok. Can you explain what you find “ugh” about it? Have you driven it yet?

• Informative x 1
  3. SigNC

SigNC Active Member

He likes to rest his hand in the middle of the bottom of the wheel which isn't possible with the current 3 wheel.

• Like x 2
  4. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

This. For long distance travel, this is especially important.

• Disagree x 6
    • Funny x 1
  5. scrapps

scrapps Member

That’s not a good place to hold the wheel of you need to make a emergency maneuver...

• Like x 12
    • Helpful x 1
  6. Insight75

Insight75 Member

Was just about to say that. If i'm holding with 1 hand, i hold on top. Also, not sure if autopilot would recognize the slight movements if holding on the bottom of the wheel. Comes down to personal preference....

• Like x 2
  7. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

I also stabilize with another hand on top. we have to keep in mind that while driving defensively, and if you can see the road miles ahead, the change of emergency is incredibly low. Bottom line, this is going to be a pain.

8. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

Same spoke placement as the steering wheel of my current car that I'm trading in so this doesn't bother me one bit. I always rest my right hand next to the bottom spoke. Very comfortable for long distance drives, for me anyway.

9. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Are you serious?
    I hope you never get into a situation where you need to quickly turn your steering wheel because of some obstacle that comes into your path without notice.
    One should never hold a steering wheel like this - especially on long distance drives. Plus it doesn't even look comfortable. Come to think of it, I never had a car that allowed such a position. Not that I would know many cars that would have such an arrangement anyway. By the way, my current steering wheel looks quite a bit like the Model 3 one:

e46sw.PNG

Note: the picture is just symbolic, this is not my actual car - but my type of steering wheel.

Three spoke wheels seem to be quite typical for sportier cars, which the Model 3 certainly is.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  10. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

#10 gregincal, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    I rest my hand on the bottom when using autopilot in stop and go traffic all the time, no problem. It goes right next to the spoke and feels totally comfortable.

11. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

For long distance travel they make autopilot.

• Funny x 3
  12. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

But you still have to hold the steering wheel.

• Helpful x 1
  13. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

Who holds the steering wheel like that?!
    Steering wheels are pretty much designed for two things:

10 & 2 for active driving
    8 OR 4 for cruising (and your arm is on the armrest or the door armrest)

• Like x 1
  14. Cnasty

Cnasty Active Member

The Model 3 steering wheel is one of my favorite, under appreciated pieces about the car.

Its about the size of a go kart steering wheel and feels like you have complete control and fluidity of the vehicle. I absolutely love it and the small size is shocking at first but then you handle it and its....wooooowwwwwww.

• Like x 4
  15. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I don't think the top is recommended anymore. Neither is 10/2 position. This is due to the airbag and how it would force your arm up if activated.

Things Have Changed Since You Learned to Drive – State Farm®

Of course, the side arms of the wheel block the 9 & 3 spots.

• Like x 1
  16. pdxrob

pdxrob Member

The TMC forums - where you'll be told that all design decisions are okay if they're centered around full autonomy but to always keep your hands at 10 and 2 :)

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
  17. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

Here is the picture of the steering wheel in my current car. Every other steering wheel design is just "UGH" in comparison! Notice the flexibility of where to rest your hands, the lack of that pesky airbag, and the diameter is great for plenty of leverage when turning. And that gloss black console in the model 3 is a fingerprint magnet. Like @buttershrimp

I

AM

GOING

TO

CANCEL

But wait! The model 3 has a center UI like on my car. That will be easy for me to get used to. Back to the FUTURE! Maybe I'll wait until next week to cancel.
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 2
  18. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

The steering wheel is just fine in my Model 3.

19. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

That really might be the least safe place to rest one's hand on the wheel. About the only thing you could do worse would be to cross over and hold the opposite side of the wheel (which I've seen more than one person do, believe it or not).

In any case, if you have AP engaged, you wouldn't want to hold the wheel there, anyhow. I've been very comfortable with the MS wheel configuration, which is similar. You want to put just that little bit of torque on the wheel to keep AP happy. We recently went about 1,800 miles, round trip, and I drove every mile of that. The wheel was fine.

Don't decide you hate the wheel before you even get behind it for a while.

20. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

It's not going to be a pain for other road users.