Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Venting about future steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who holds the steering wheel like that?!
Steering wheels are pretty much designed for two things:

10 & 2 for active driving
8 OR 4 for cruising (and your arm is on the armrest or the door armrest)
10 and 2 is not the way to hold a steering wheel, as it is no longer the 1980s. 9 and 3 is recommended due to airbag integration into steering wheels.

People tend to get used to their current car, and anything else feels a bit uncomfortable for a while.

Change us often difficult.

The steering wheel on the Model 3 is perfectly fine, and performs it function well.

Driving with one hand, on the bottom of the wheel, is not the optimum driving position.

Reactions: WileyTheMan
Here is the picture of the steering wheel in my current car. Every other steering wheel design is just "UGH" in comparison! Notice the flexibility of where to rest your hands, the lack of that pesky airbag, and the diameter is great for plenty of leverage when turning. And that gloss black console in the model 3 is a fingerprint magnet. Like @buttershrimp

I

AM

GOING

TO

CANCEL

But wait! The model 3 has a center UI like on my car. That will be easy for me to get used to. Back to the FUTURE! Maybe I'll wait until next week to cancel.
112_0807_05z%2bford_model_t%2bsteering_wheel.jpg
Just saw this before my last post. You are right and this is definitely the most accurate post of all time, only thing better is the red 1993 Camry... perfection.

I agree with the OP on the steering wheel, mainly I only hold the steering wheel in the bottom center during slow stop-and-go traffic, where i typically wouldn't need to make a defensive maneuver. But since there is Autopilot, this really isn't a concern.

There are a lot of design decisions where I wonder "what were they thinking?!" like the easily scratched and smudged piano black console material, the phone key, the glass roof, the flimsy charger door, but the steering wheel didn't make the list that bothered me. I guess I'm used to a 3 spoke wheel, but I could see how resting your hand at the bottom could be helpful.

Reactions: SlicedBr3ad