Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Venting [long issue with car whistle noise]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep and even if you can't hear it can cause damage, here is a warning on another tone generator site:

"Warning!: People can’t hear sounds < 20 Hz and > 10,000 Hz very well. If you turn up the volume on your device to compensate, you could expose yourself to harmful sound levels and your speakers to harmful currents. To be safe, note the volume level that allows you to listen to a 1,000 Hz tone without discomfort and do not stray too far above this level, even if you can’t hear much – especially in the high range, where your hearing is the most fragile."

Interesting. My high frequency cuts out at around 14 kHz.
While I could still hear all the way down to 12 Hz, I didn't want to hear that for very long, it started to give me a headache and a nauseated feeling.
Early 50s/empty stomach.
This is all assuming the tone generator's Hz number is accurate and my headphones produce sound accurately.

If nothing else, with the lack of perimeter seal on your battery, your car technically has a "hole" leading to the cabin, and therefore a safety defect (if it were an ICE vehicle) as it would allow exhaust leaks into the cabin.

Dropped off the car today and it didn't start off well to be honest. Little empathy and flat out multiple refusals initially to even look where the penthouse perimeter seal could be visible (or not), watch the smoke test video I made (they did in the end), or do a test drive (we never did). I escalated to speak with a manager (foreman).

Several passive aggressive comments from Tesla team members like "he already agreed to pay for diagnostics", "he heard on a forum", and we "knew this would escalate". It was the tone and attitude as much as the words. I felt belittled.

It's still classified as a noise complaint by the SC to be diagnosed "using Audacity" despite my insistence otherwise.

To the SC credit I was ready to walk I was just so fed up with going back to 2018 ... why would I repeat the same thing ~4 years later? I'm not asking them to do their audio test again and tell me the same conclusion. But they asked me to put together evidence (it's 7+ pages + video) and they convinced me they will take it seriously.

Last edited:
The most insulting comment "it needs to be put back to factory" after I had already pulled out all of the added sound barrier around the penthouse area (but not the A-piller, wheel wells, doors, seat bench, frunk, and trunk). (Initially) they were not even willing to try and put in another back seat bench to test as it "has to be the seat from the factory".

I did not bring the seat with me and unlike the penthouse I modified it with stick-on felt (it also does not fit in the trunk and made no sense to put in the passenger seat either if as they stated wanted to do a test drive). I was not willing to damage the seat by pulling that off nor did it make sense to demand to do a sound test on a modified seat bench (nor was I asking them to do an audio test).

Last edited:
Got the car back today. Was a bit concerned because mid-week they said they found a similar 2018 that had the same noise profile and that things where "normal" but they were going to regional manager to get a second opinion. In the end they came through. I didn't stick around to ask for details.

Screenshot_20220114-145823.png

Got the car back today. Was a bit concerned because mid-week they said they found a similar 2018 that had the same noise profile and that things where "normal" but they were going to regional manager to get a second opinion. In the end they came through. I didn't stick around to ask for details.

View attachment 755715
Thanks for the follow up, glad you were able to get it addressed.