Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Venting - Model 3 should come with the lift pucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think the second statement is correct, or realistic. Tesla's intention is that owners pay Tesla $200 for tire rotation? I don't think they do. I know that's what they charge, but that's insane and basically intended to send customers elsewhere for such a simple task.

And therefore I don't think the first statement is correct.
here is my invoice $31.00 Tire Rotation Job #1

Attachments

• 3000S0001112306_EN-US.pdf
    144.5 KB · Views: 106
Go buy actual hockey pucks for $1 each.

They will not work on a shop lift, by the typical crew.

You need to attach them to the car so they are in the right position. If you are using a jack it’s not as hard to fiddle with a puck. But the ones with the nub to stay in place makes it idiot proof.

No shop is gonna fiddle with 4 pucks and bring the lift a half inch away and adjust each one.

There is a reason why folks pay a whole $20 for the proper ones.

And if you just hand them to the shop there is a good chance they won’t bother even use them or even know what they are for.

If you want it done right. Install them YOURSELF before handing over the keys and cross your fingers they position the lift arms under them.

Last edited:
They will not work on a shop lift, by the typical crew.

You need to attach them to the car so they are in the right position. If you are using a jack it’s not as hard to fiddle with a puck. But the ones with the nub to stay in place makes it idiot proof.

No shop is gonna fiddle with 4 pucks and bring the lift a half inch away and adjust each one.

There is a reason why folks pay a whole $20 for the proper ones.

And if you just hand them to the shop there is a good chance they won’t bother even use them or even know what they are for.

If you want it done right. Install them YOURSELF before handing over the keys and cross your fingers they position the lift arms under them.

Whenever you use a lift you have to make sure the rubber pads are contacting the right spot even on a reg car. This isn't just a tesla thing. You always have to look under and align it when you are like 2in away. You don't want to lift and miss a frame rail or pinch seem. Maybe it's easier to see with the pucks in but they are going to line it up just like normal either way.

Why does a $60k car that differs from all other cars in that it needs these pucks just in order to lift it without damage not come with them included

As others have stated, some other cars need these also, and don’t come with them.
The argument we see on here that “I paid $60k for a car, so it should have this or that”, is such a entitled statement.
You bought the car as is.

The argument we see on here that “I paid $60k for a car, so it should have this or that”, is such a entitled statement.
You bought the car as is.

Whatever! Throw around “entitled“ if you like to judge. (And BTW your quote is not a real quote, it’s your version of what I said.) I guess no suggestions/ideas/complaints allowed these days or you’re entitled. And no venting. I mean why would you do that on an owner forum.

My point was $20 compared to $60k seems worth including since it’s a pretty unique and annoying quirk. The M3 is a much more practical car than a Porsche or Corvette, and I don’t think Model 3 owners welcome this hassle. Raise the car price $20 for all I care. But it sucks when you find out you need these things and don’t have them on hand.

“You bought the car as is.” Actually, I didn’t, it has a warranty, though that has nothing to do with hockey pucks. I never suggested Tesla legally owes me this or that. I do suggest this annoyance burns a tiny piece of goodwill.

Reactions: DDHEverything
Whatever! Throw around “entitled“ if you like to judge. (And BTW your quote is not a real quote, it’s your version of what I said.) I guess no suggestions/ideas/complaints allowed these days or you’re entitled. And no venting. I mean why would you do that on an owner forum.

My point was $20 compared to $60k seems worth including since it’s a pretty unique and annoying quirk. The M3 is a much more practical car than a Porsche or Corvette, and I don’t think Model 3 owners welcome this hassle. Raise the car price $20 for all I care. But it sucks when you find out you need these things and don’t have them on hand.

“You bought the car as is.” Actually, I didn’t, it has a warranty, though that has nothing to do with hockey pucks. I never suggested Tesla legally owes me this or that. I do suggest this annoyance burns a tiny piece of goodwill.

Tesla got cheap. They also took away our trunk and frunk mats, bag hooks, door pocket lights, free connectivity, auto dimming mirrors, 14-50 adapters.

Fake news. Tesla does not use pucks; they would sell them if they did. Use them if you want but they are not required. Careless technicians will damage cars regardless. Spent a minute showing my local shop how to find the lift points and now they say Yes to Teslas.

Well, they have specific locations to lift the car. The pucks keep the careless shops from lifting in the wrong place, and from carelessly extending onto the battery.
Lift it how you want, it’s your investment. :)

Guaranteed, we will start seeing whining and complaining on this forum from folks like you saying, their shop damaged the car or battery because the lift points were used without pucks, and of course blaming Tesla. Lol.

it maybe easy to do, but why go to discount tire place or do it yourself, Tesla does it for $31.00, why take any risk, for damage.

I've seen quotes ranging from roughly $0.00 to $200 for Tesla to do it in different locations posted here.

Costs seem to vary widely.

That said, for AWD cars especially if you keep proper inflation, any rotation charge much higher than free is likely a waste of money according to many experts on the topic... (including both the Car Talk guys and car companies like BMW)

If care came with spare tire, then yes lift pucks and jack should be included. Since it did not then I see no reason for them to include it. Tire places by this time should know how to handle a tire change on a Tesla but it never hurts to ask.

I've seen quotes ranging from roughly $0.00 to $200 for Tesla to do it in different locations posted here.

Costs seem to vary widely.

That said, for AWD cars especially if you keep proper inflation, any rotation charge much higher than free is likely a waste of money according to many experts on the topic... (including both the Car Talk guys and car companies like BMW)
here is what I paid, and here is what I follow on my car 2017 MS 75 bought new,

Attachments

• 3000S0001112306_EN-US.pdf
    144.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 11.08.14 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 11.08.14 AM.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 81