TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Ventless" Dash Design

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dctrombly, Apr 3, 2016.

1. dctrombly

dctrombly Member

It's been pointed out how unfinished the design of dash must be because of the exclusion of vents, but as can be seen (heard) in this test drive demo, the dash has been designed to be "ventless," with some kind of invisible, single slot design instead. It's mentioned right at the beginning of the video.

Not sure if this has been posted on before. A ventilation system that doesn't create drafts could be cool. Lack of adjustability not so much. And there's nothing to break up the flatness of it all.

2. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

Well, hopefully it is an improvement over the S heating/cooling, which leaves much to be desired. Personally I like it - but I am into the sleek clean spaceship look.

3. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

How are my my windows supposed to defrost when it's -35 degrees out without vents?

4. dctrombly

dctrombly Member

I highly doubt this was an oversight by the dozens of engineers who designed this car.

5. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

The same way we've been doing it for the last 100 years - blow on them or wipe them with a gloved hand. ;)

6. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

It does have vents. They are hidden in the strip at the top of the dash. If anything, I think they would work better to defrost windows.

• Like x 1
  7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The test drive video did have the Tesla driver pointing out that the dash ventilation opening is concealed inside a long thin strip that runs the width of the dash, which I think is pretty neat. The driver said nothing about other ventilation openings, likely because he wasn't asked about them, but I am certain that Model 3 cabin ventilation will also include openings at the base of the windshield (every car built for many decades not has had them, as has every Tesla ever built) and also there will be footwell ventilation in the Model 3.