TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Vents next to the fog lights

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Acho, May 27, 2017.

1. Acho

Acho Member

yesterday I noticed that the vents next to the fog lights on my S85 opens and colose for just few seconds while the car was parked in garage not been driven at all that day. They open and close every 5-10 minutes or so and stay open for just few seconds with no noticable fan noice. Is that normal or something goes funky here.

Thanks

2. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Ludicrous + you say, well I got Ludicrous -

It does sound strange but.... I see your in Las Vegas how hot is it in your garage??

3. Acho

Acho Member

About 80F

If it was for real cooling I expect them to be open for longer than few seconds.

Or the temperature im the garage is right at the treahhold for them to open and this makes them to hesitate.

4. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Its normal--both louvers open on demand for additional cooling for--you'll see them pop open all the time when SuperCharging.

5. Acho

Acho Member

And stay open for 10 seconds? How much cooling can be done for 10 seconds?

6. Petra

Petra Member

Have you tried rebooting the car? Just a thought... I mean, it's normal for the louvers to open for cooling purposes but only opening for 10 seconds every 5-10 minutes while parked with no fans running does sound a little strange.

7. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

Maybe she's playing "Peek-A-Boo" with you :p

Sorry, not helpful, I know... It's late and I'm feeling a little slap-happy :D

8. gfab333

gfab333 Member

I don't have the 10 second open & close issue, but I did notice these louvers being in the open position for a while after driving the car. There was another thread that mentioned this, and a poster mentioned the this may be part of the cooling system for the battery.

On a side note, I was in the Honolulu - Ala Moana Tesla Store yesterday passing time while the wife went shopping, and the red MS sitting inside the store entrance had it's louvers closed as I chatted with a sales person and told him about this louver question. Initially, he too thought the two front side intakes were fake, so I told him about what I've read in the forums. After a few minutes, I turned and looked at the car, and low and behold, the two sets of louvers had opened. Keep in mind these showroom models are for display at had not been driven during the 45 minutes that I was at the store. The cars parking lights were on and people were just fiddling with the touchscreen. I speculate that this causes activity with the battery, combined with the ambient air temperature, the car needs to activate the battery's cooling system in an intermittent fashion. As a result, the louvers open and close now and then. Acho, it wouldn't hurt to call your SC and ask a Service Adviser if you should bring your car in, if you think that the louvers are defective in operation.

9. Acho

Acho Member

I don't know if deffective but opening for such short time does not make anu sense to me - no fan activated and open for 10 seconds does not coll anything.

Will stop by and ask them.

I wouldn't notice it if I wasn't right infront of them for couple of hourz /i know it sounds idiotically but I was wraping my bumper, not just staring at them/

10. kdday

kdday Member

It's just breathing. They like to open the vents, breathe in, and hold their breath for a long time.

11. Acho

Acho Member

Hahaha, hold the breath and dive ;)

12. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

Do these louvers open when the HVAC system switches from recirculated to fresh air intake?

13. Acho

Acho Member

I doubt it. Behind them there are radiators. They are not air intakes for cabin air. That low they will suck tons of dust.

14. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

I thought about this after posting the question and realized it was pretty unlikely. Battery cooling makes more sense.