Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ver: 40.50.1 - Voice commands stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here. Worked great at first, then it’s been really finicky. Which really sucks when I’m trying to show off the new features to my passengers. Hopefully another update/fix isn’t too far away.

Yesterday morning I having the same problems many were reporting, last night there was measurable improvement, this morning significant improvement. Many of the commands after depressing the right scroll button are very simple, like "Open (feature), or Close (feature), "Text (person's name)" instead or turn on or off or send someone a text.

Yesterday morning I was having the same problems many were reporting, last night there was measurable improvement, this morning significant improvement. Many of the commands after depressing the right scroll button are very simple, like "Open (feature), or Close (feature), "Text (person's name)" instead or turn on or off or send someone a text.

Once 40.50.1 is downloaded complete, perform a soft reboot or hard reboot.

I received the new update Christmas Eve and voice commands rarely work. I can sit in the car in one place (with full LTE bars) the first command will work, but all subsequent attempts fail. The green circle shows up, but the car "hears" nothing... it just keeps displaying a list of suggested commands. Rebooting has no effect. Hopefully this is resolved soon since new voice commands were such a prominent feature of the update. Still love the 3, just eager for new features to work!

Ok I seemed to fix the issue. If your problem is with a non English interface setting:
By changing the display language to another language and then back again to the language you're using in the first place, it resets the voice recognition to the right language.

Yeah I had the same problem today... none of my voice commands for navigation are working after the update. This is the only voice feature I used. I knew the update had new voice commands so I thought maybe the syntax was different. No luck so far.

I've NOT seen this bug ... not boasting or anything, but I am wondering why some people are plagued by it, while others are not. Is there any correlation between HW3/HW2.5 and the bug? Geographical location?

Speculations (quite random, I have no evidence about this):

-- HW3 cars, having beefier processors, do more (all?) processing locally, and so are less subject to network/server issues?
-- Round-trip to data center (assuming it IS server based, which is by no means certain) is the bottleneck, so its worse where cell towers are congested.
-- Tesla server model doesnt do well at balancing the load across servers/data centers, causing some areas (e.g. California) that have large populations to bottleneck more than other areas with less load.

If this IS a server problem, then we might expect it to gradually clear without any car software updates as Tesla fix the backend servers/clouds. Here's hoping, anyway.

I did notice today when I went to say Send Text it came up with a bunch of other suggestions for things to say. Tried twice with same result and then had to leave the car anyway so that’s as far as experimenting went. Maybe some tweeking going on back at Tesla? Yesterday it was super responsive and amazingly accurate with transcribing my voice to text. Oh well, maybe this was part of the peek at what the car will do ! :p So close....

Well this afternoon, the voice commands in my car seem to be working MUCH better than yesterday. Myhunch is that there may have been a back-end / cloud compute issue affecting the processing of the voice commands.

If it keeps working as well as it does today then I'll be happy camper.

Now, must go drive the car some more. It's not an addiction, just something I have to do

• Funny
Reactions: AZjohnInCA
PS there still seems to be some intermittent delay in how fast the voice command feature picks up your commands. Maybe this has to do with internet connectivity maybe cpu load or another bug.
FWIW i've noticed this as well. if, for whatever reason, voice commands don't start to immediately translate, the system will be "hung up" on whatever last command and will "never" recover. i've managed to clear it up by attempting to send a bug report, but i haven't been able to tell if this is consistent.