Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ver 7 Throttle Response - RWD Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Beyond the user interface changes on the screens, which I won't get into here, my perception is that there is a significant change in the throttle behavior in version 7 of the software.

It seems that the throttle mapping has been modified from being more of a linear or near-linear nature, to being of more of a parabolic nature, as I represent in the diagram here:

P85 Throttle Mapping.png

This change yields a broader and less sensitive response in the neutral area between acceleration and regeneration.

Advantages:

Reduced response - Perceptibly smoother - feels more like a luxury car (see also disadvantages)
Smoother ride, less "jerkiness" - especially as perceived by passengers
Better low speed throttle response - less jittery between 0-3 mph
Less use of energy and regen replaced by more coasting or near coasting - increased efficiency and range
Less drive unit wear - increased life and potentially reduced warranty work on the drive unit
Less battery wear - likely very minor bordering on imperceptible - slightly reduced heat generation

Disadvantages:

Reduced response - Perceptibly less "sporty" and instantaneous throttle response as perceived by the driver
Less unique - makes the Tesla Model S feel less unique to the driver vs. other cars in it's class

This is all my supposition after 1 day with the software.

I am looking forward to other opinions or facts being presented on this thread.

If true and significant, should we expect revised and improved EPA range numbers? Torque sleep should also add to the range if the energy saving is truly significant. My guess is that neither of these changes make a noticeable difference except perhaps to the driving 'feel'.

Last edited:
I've only driven about 250-300 miles since getting 7.0 but the only change I've noticed has been in low speeds, particularly going from stopped to moving, and going from rolling slightly in reverse, and then switching to drive and going forward. Regen might come on in a slightly smoother way as well. I'd say the low speed feels more responsive, and easier to drive smoothly.

Don't agree the previous accelerator mapping was linear. Was definitely a curve, but perhaps less curved than 7.0 mapping. Early accelerator mapping (4.x software) was slightly different as well, more aggressive kick-in-the-butt acceleration and regen. Each update seems to have smoothed it out a bit. My favorite was the early mapping, as it really emphasized the instant torque, and felt the most responsive. I can see why they would change away from that because someone who wasn't very familiar with the operation of the car would be more likely to drive in a jerky/lurchy manner.

Don't agree the previous accelerator mapping was linear. ............. I can see why they would change away from that because someone who wasn't very familiar with the operation of the car would be more likely to drive in a jerky/lurchy manner.

My wife's BWM 535 twin turbo lag is a challenge to drive smoothly compared to my Model S. Personally I like the one pedal driving feature and it didn't take that long to get used to it with the Regen.
I have postponed the version 7 download and I hope it doesn't turn the Model S into eco-mode.
I really don't understand that feature in the BMW like I need software to limit how carefully I drive. In case of an emergency maneuver, you're toast.

Last edited:
My wife's BWM 535 twin turbo lag is a challenge to drive smoothly compared to my Model S. Personally I like the one pedal driving feature and it didn't take that long to get used to it with the Regen.
I have postponed the version 7 download and I hope it doesn't turn the Model S into eco-mode.
I really don't understand that feature in the BMW like I need software to limit how carefully I drive. In case of an emergency maneuver, you're toast.

I think you misunderstood my post. If anything, it is more responsive and easier to drive smoothly at low speeds now. Not that the previous mappings were bad -- opposite in fact -- they are excellent, best of any car I've driven. It is essentially the same, just a little more refined. I'm really happy with the new, improved pedal mapping -- it makes up for the slightly worse layout of the instrument cluster.

Just to clarify, the diagram (axis numbers, curve/linear) is really just to represent the differences between the throttle mapping - I didn't mean to suggest the old mapping was actually linear - just more linear than the version 7 mapping. The diagram is really just to represent relative behavior and is no truer to reality "on the ground" than a NY or DC subway map.

I actually thought it was more aggressive. But I haven't experimented much. The first day after getting 7.0 I pushed to about halfway to the floor and ended up spinning the tires (21" Stock), which surprised me.

Otherwise (lower accel) it seems pretty normal.

The wh/mi calculation on the dash, however, seems to have reduced by about 10%. Maybe the car is more efficient, maybe it is missing the calculation including the A/C?

Wow. Ok, yeah, maybe us classics should be glad we didn't get the "performance boost."

We should get the throttle remapping though as Drucifer's car is a classic. I definitely notice the jerkiness at low speeds, so refining that is likely a net positive. I definitely notice much more punch with the same throttle in P85s vs. my S85. I would love for takeoff to slightly ramp up faster so I get the refinement and jump ahead. Still happy with my car though :)

If true and significant, should we expect revised and improved EPA range numbers? Torque sleep should also add to the range if the energy saving is truly significant. My guess is that neither of these changes make a noticeable difference except perhaps to the driving 'feel'.

Torque sleep for RWD Model Ss only occurs when the car is at a standstill. Therefore, it stands to reason that it would make the largest difference in stop and go traffic or perhaps when the car is parked. How much of a benefit is anyone's guess. There might be a slight benefit in the EPA City driving cycle. Obviously, there's no EPA test for parked cars even if there is an improvement in Vampire losses.

Larry

I actually thought it was more aggressive. But I haven't experimented much. The first day after getting 7.0 I pushed to about halfway to the floor and ended up spinning the tires (21" Stock), which surprised me.

Otherwise (lower accel) it seems pretty normal.

The wh/mi calculation on the dash, however, seems to have reduced by about 10%. Maybe the car is more efficient, maybe it is missing the calculation including the A/C?

I think it feels more aggressive/responsive as well. Once you get out of the "flat" neutral area around 0mph, you're into the steeper slope of the curve. Personally I like it better than the old curve, and I swear my butt dyno says the car is quicker at 100% accelerator, although my comparison video doesn't seem to agree (not sure what's going on there).

Agree with the improved throttle curve feeling. I did a 120 mile round trip in the Bay Area on Saturday, across the Bay and up to Concord and I was surprised that I seemed to average 280 Wh/mi, even though I was at the faster end of traffic. Normally I would expect to average above 300 easily. I was wondering if it was an aberration but interesting that others are seeing it.

Obviously I know the power hasn't changed, it could be due to a different throttle mapping, otherwise I have no idea and will keep an eye on the average.

Now for the controversial subject: Seems like my drivetrain clunk/gear lash is now gone. For a month or two I'd been noticing the start of a clunk, and was disappointed for yet another service visit for drive unit issues (although last time the clunk was fixed by lubricating the splines).

Didn't notice the lack of the clunk until I was adding another creak/rattle to my list of things to be done at 3yr service when I noticed the clunk on my list. Hadn't noticed it clunk since 7.0. Went out and tested, and no clunk. Now I wonder if the tuning of the software was in part responsible for the clunk developing. It is certainly smoother now. I could see how the older software, being less smooth, could contribute to the clunk.

Now for the controversial subject: Seems like my drivetrain clunk/gear lash is now gone. For a month or two I'd been noticing the start of a clunk, and was disappointed for yet another service visit for drive unit issues (although last time the clunk was fixed by lubricating the splines).

Flat area is probably taking up rapid changes in gear and drivetrain backlash. Seems like a better engineering for "comfort" level driving and efficiency. But Tesla should just make these things select-able. It's just a software switch.

Flat area is probably taking up rapid changes in gear and drivetrain backlash. Seems like a better engineering for "comfort" level driving and efficiency. But Tesla should just make these things select-able. It's just a software switch.

85D owners early in v6.2 had a "Normal/Comfort" vs. Sport option. One of the things it controlled was the throttle response. Tesla eventually got rid of the selection and turned on Sport permanently. Perhaps now they turned on Normal/Comfort for all of us non-P owners as the only option?