Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ver 7 Throttle Response - RWD Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got a chance to try this out on our Signature P85 on a short drive yesterday, having been home with a bad cold since the release.

I find it clearly and distinctly different. Mostly I like it, and will adapt to it. It is certainly smoother and will be great for most passengers.

The most significant thing though, which I was hoping for, is that the car is now MUCH more stable under hard acceleration, especially with my Michelin Xi3 winter tires, which were notoriously squirmy previously. Now a full throttle jab gives little if any sway and smooth intense acceleration.

I must be missing something. I have a mid-2013 P85 and I notice nothing different. No difference in low speed throttle. No difference in switching from Reverse to Drive. No difference in throttle response at any speed. Of course, no mention in the release notes. Why am I not feeling anything? Is this psychosomatic?

Maybe Tesla wants us all on the new "throttle response" curve because when going on/off throttle it pre-loads the drive line with sufficient torque but low enough impulse to take up any slop in bushings, mounts, etc... things that otherwise go "CLUNK" when hit 400 lb-ft of torque in 1ms. So yes, I could see this eliminating drive line clunks. And on regen, same thing, to soften out reverse-clunks.

I have a very subtle but discernible clunk in my DU that I can hear when everything is quiet... going on/off throttle. When I go to v7.x software I'll see if softens even more. Or if the balloon squeal reduces. .. Er, wait, I'm getting a DU in a couple weeks and want to hold off doing v7 for as long as possible, so forget it. I'll never know. Because I'm hoping the new DU will be dead silent under all operating conditions. Reasonable, right?

I will be curious to see if the SC forces me to upgrade to v7 :crying:with a new DU :love:

Last edited:
Mine is more smooth in stop and go. It is subtle for me, but noticeable. I don't often get the chance to hammer the go pedal on my daily drive, but got the chance today to do it twice. It seemed much smoother and less dramatic (bummer), but still surprisingly fast. So I am happy. I had also noticed that I was starting to get a slight whine under full accel. Nothing but complete silence today. Yay!

I think they are trying to ease the load on the motor and tran. Seems fine to me so far and if it improves longevity, I am all for it.

There is a massive difference to regen on my S60. (in a good way). Seems much stronger on initial lift off, and holds onto the deceleration for longer.

I'm seeing vastly improved Wh/mi figures on my start stop city commute too.

I remember the beta release notes mentioned improved regen on the 60kwh, is it showing up in your final release notes? It seems there are several different versions of release notes depending on car configuration.

I'd mirror other comments here as I've also found the acceleration to be buttery smooth. This is great for comfort, not so great for when I actually want to drive abit aggressive. Would love to see a 'Sport' mode for RWD that allows me to change the throttle response.

Honestly I prefer the flat instant response of the older software. I *thought* there was something different in two Teslas I've rented while I sort out which one to buy. First was a week in a rwd 60 three months ago. Now I'm in a rwd 70 with 7.0 and it is different.

I'm so glad someone else doesn't like the new version 7 layout. I miss seeing the orange energy use and the green regeneration. I rather liked knowing what was happening, and it certainly made me a more "mindful" driver. I also liked the blue speedometer with the gray of over the limit. After using the new Auto Pilot features for a few days, I have removed them. Way too distracting for normal use.

My impressions on v7.0 on classic non AP P85+:

Throttle response is much better. Maybe not faster 0-60 but more responsive to accelerator.
Regen is more aggressive.
Steering feel is improved.
Stability on acceleration is improved.

Starting to think this is just like every other update. Some say it's faster some say slower. Same say more regen some say less. Others say it's just the same. I'm inclined to believe this is purely psychological. Oh well, I'll chime in with my feedback once I decide to upgrade. For now, I'm perfectly happy with the response under 6.2.

My impression of my classic 85 after installing V7: none of the things you listed have changed. What has changed is the transition from zero to a just starting to move: it's smoother.
My impressions on v7.0 on classic non AP P85+:
Throttle response is much better. Maybe not faster 0-60 but more responsive to accelerator.
Regen is more aggressive.
Steering feel is improved.
Stability on acceleration is improved.