Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Verdict of 2016 Model S 60 Battery being top or bottom limited?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking out loud here, with a good measure of ignorance added in:

I understand the idea of measuring the battery voltage at full charge to clarify this question of where the buffer sits, but
why not just compare the SOCs of locked and unlocked batteries where the charge rate rapidly tapers ? Seems like it should be good for a qualitative answer, which is I think all we need as a practical matter to be confident that routine 100% charging is safe for battery longevity.

Ambient temperatures probably change the taper point, but a decent data point size should sort that out.

Yes. That's what my previous post was trying to indicate. I was trying to match the 100% 60D charging rate to my 75D charging rate and see what my SOC is when the charging rate is the same. It seems like a 60D at 100% is at about 90ish % of the 75.

Reactions: SageBrush
Have you guys taken multiple charging curves on the same vehicle on different occasions? I bet they are not identical, hence a hard time matching exactly. Things that will contribute to differences - software/firmware version, ambient temperature, cabin temperature (both set and actual if sitting in the car observing - could shut off hvac to make comparisons better), pack starting temperature and SOC). I think this is why the estimated vary between 86% and 92%. Personally I would trust wk's diagnostic screenshot showing 86% max charge on a 60.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Hey all thanks a ton for all the work and research.

Is the takeaway that the 60 at 100% is about 90% of a 75?

In that case, does it mean if we charge to the typically recommended true 80% of a battery, we should charge to around 90% of a 60?

Perhaps more interesting - here's something I have not seen reported anywhere else - not only is regen fully available even at 100% SoC, but you can add significant charge on top of 100%. I charged to 100% and then drove down 4500 vertical feet over 18 miles. The IC gauge does not go above 100%, but rated miles (range mode off) went from 207 (my normal 100% at the time) to 217. The Since last charge trip odo showed -3.3 kWh. The IC gauge dropped to 99% only after 33 miles since last charge (those last 15 miles were still slightly downhill).

Conclusive proof beyond a doubt that 60s are top limited. How much is subject to more experimentation, but based on charge rate curve comparison between 60 and 70it is fair to assume all of the 10 kWh buffer is at the top.

Have you guys taken multiple charging curves on the same vehicle on different occasions? I bet they are not identical, hence a hard time matching exactly. Things that will contribute to differences - software/firmware version, ambient temperature, cabin temperature (both set and actual if sitting in the car observing - could shut off hvac to make comparisons better), pack starting temperature and SOC). I think this is why the estimated vary between 86% and 92%. Personally I would trust wk's diagnostic screenshot showing 86% max charge on a 60.

Can you point me to wk's diagnostic screenshot?

Of course, even better would be someone unlocking their 60 and carefully observing how their charge level changes, but I'm guessing those will be few and far between.
Yes, we are still looking for this person. I found one a while back, but it was too late. He had already unlocked his 15 kWh and wasn't aware of the need to document the change in SOC. Anyone out there, reading this, contemplating paying for the upgrade from a 60 kWh to a 75 kWh?

Yes, we are still looking for this person. I found one a while back, but it was too late. He had already unlocked his 15 kWh and wasn't aware of the need to document the change in SOC. Anyone out there, reading this, contemplating paying for the upgrade from a 60 kWh to a 75 kWh?

I was thinking about crowdfunding my upgrade and then making that data available for all. Figured it shouldn't be hard to find ~100 owners at $100 a piece (covering the upgrade + Taxifornia taxes).

• Funny
Reactions: Olle and deonb
Here are two more data points for a S60 charge rate . Not till 100% but 20-~90%+
[title should read kW vs SoC]

Tesla_Charge-1.JPG
Tesla_Charge-2.JPG

Some updates on this. Here is a supercharging curve for my 75D from 8% to 92%. Also, based on Bjorn's video, the 100% of 60 is around 92% of 75D based on supercharging rates (the Tesla 60D stops at a supercharging rate of 28 Kwh, which is equivalent to when my car's SOC is around 92%). However, if we were to go by DB 2's data, then it suggests that the 60 100% is at around 86% of the 75 battery. I think we need some more 60D owner's to chime in on what charging rate they get at 100%. View attachment 210438 View attachment 210436

The power taper for the 60D starts as late as 55% SOC, compared to ~ 45% SOC in the 75D. This is consistent with both batteries starting from the same voltage and accumulating the same charge before taper begins. The higher SOC in the 60D is just arithmetic.

I don't think we can say that all the reserve is at the top, but I'm pretty confident that most of it is.

Looking at Wk's Data
75-->72.6
60-->62.4

Assuming 20% of the delta is bottom and 80% is on top, 2kWh on bottom adn 8kWh on top
so charging to 100% on 60 is 62.4/(72.6-2) =88% of 75, and charging to 95% on 60 is 62.4x95%(72.6-2)= ~84%.

Not sure how bad charging to 85-88% everyday is..Thoughts?

Looking at Wk's Data
75-->72.6
60-->62.4

Assuming 20% of the delta is bottom and 80% is on top, 2kWh on bottom adn 8kWh on top
so charging to 100% on 60 is 62.4/(72.6-2) =88% of 75, and charging to 95% on 60 is 62.4x95%(72.6-2)= ~84%.

Not sure how bad charging to 85-88% everyday is..Thoughts?
I've been charging to max "daily" range since my 1st car. I think that's 85 or 90%? Never saw any noticeble degradation on either the 60 (actual old 60) or 85 and I had each over 1.5 years (still have the 85). Currently charging the SW limited 60 to 100% daily (so 86%).

Here is some more evidence towards solving this mystery. I drove my software limited 70 a bit under 4%(9 RM) today. I remember on my old "non limited" car, the power limiter showed up on the dash once such low soc was reached. I have seen as low as 30 kW available. At between 3 and 4% SOC today I still had full power. Even tried full acceleration from a stop light to see if I could make the little yellow line show up, but no. This leads me to believe that there is a pretty sizable locked portion at the bottom.
Speaking of which; has anybody tried out how a software limited car behaves at 0%? A lot of us have already tried out unlocked cars under 0% with mixed results :)

Another good reminder to think twice before buying a used EV. People are idiots.
No, people are not idiots, but some of us have inadvertently hit 0 miles (especially before the supercharger era) due to tremendous rain, or unexpected extreme cold for example. I hit it once, then I learned where it is and how to drive in the cold. The point I tried to make is that the shutdown point was unpredictable and would be good to know what behavior to expect from a sw limited battery.

My thoughts exactly! with all this bickering back and forth, why in the hell doesn't someone with a new 60 get TM-Spy (or have a fellow TMC owner help out) and drain it from 0 to 100% and watch the cell voltages..

What voltage does a 60D show at 100% ? That's your answer. Not rocket science.

New 60 at 100% charge:

Brick (cell): 4.075 to 4.080 volts
Pack: ~ 342.5 volts

(30 minutes after charge completed and no driving.)

Zero percent: you need to be more specific (BMS zero vs. UI zero -- they are significantly different, like 4 kWh)!

Last edited: