Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Verdict of 2016 Model S 60 Battery being top or bottom limited?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The interesting question is whether the Model S 60 battery degrades at all. Given that it is top limited, will it just keep charging to the rated miles forever?

No such luck.

The BMS reports my pack now has 70.6 kWh estimated full capacity. When new, the 75 has 72.6 kWh full usable capacity. This reduction percentage is consistent with an original 210 rated miles on the S60 RWD being down to 204, which is exactly what I am getting now with a 100% SoC.

No such luck.

The BMS reports my pack now has 70.6 kWh estimated full capacity. When new, the 75 has 72.6 kWh full usable capacity. This reduction percentage is consistent with an original 210 rated miles on the S60 RWD being down to 204, which is exactly what I am getting now with a 100% SoC.
How are you getting those BMS reported kWh numbers?

Now that the 60-->75 upgrade is $2K, seeing lot of folks upgrading on the forum. Can some expert list the steps and readings that someone who is planning to upgrade take and (data to report) before and after the upgrade that will help folks still staying on 60Kwh to ascertain whether the battery is top limited or bottom limited and what is the safe level to charge the 60Kwh battery to everyday without worrying for degradation (90%?95% 100% etc)
thanks

Last edited:
Now that the 60-->75 upgrade is $2K, seeing lot of folks upgrading on the forum. Can some expert list the steps and readings that someone who is planning to upgrade take and (data to report) before and after the upgrade that will help folks still staying on 60Kwh to ascertain whether the battery is top limited or bottom limited and what is the safe level to charge the 60Kwh battery to everyday without worrying for degradation (90%?95% 100% etc)
thanks
Haven't seen any specific %, but posts like this show in a video that the rated miles stays the same after the upgrade and charging starts to go from 60 to 75.

Reactions: seevT
thanks

Someone did it in one of the thousand other threads talking about the upgrade. Charged their "60" to 100%, purchased 75 upgrade, battery SoC dropped to ~85%.

So there you have it.

Someone did it in one of the thousand other threads talking about the upgrade. Charged their "60" to 100%, purchased 75 upgrade, battery SoC dropped to ~85%.

So there you have it.
60/75 = 80%. So if 100% of a 60 became 85% on a 75, then that would indicate that perhaps there's some capacity at the bottom that's limited, but that most of it is at the top. It'd be interesting if someone did the opposite - discharge a 60 to 0% and then do the 75 upgrade to see what happens.

60/75 = 80%. So if 100% of a 60 became 85% on a 75, then that would indicate that perhaps there's some capacity at the bottom that's limited, but that most of it is at the top. It'd be interesting if someone did the opposite - discharge a 60 to 0% and then do the 75 upgrade to see what happens.
0. Rated miles stay the same when you upgrade. All batteries have a buffer at the bottom - there are a number threads discussing it. The point is 60 and 75 have the same buffer at the bottom.

Calculate usable battery capacity based on rated miles values
per the above thread, 75 is actually 72.6 and SW limited 60 is 62.4, so 62.4/72.6 ~ 85% so it seems all is top limited--so routinely charging a 60 to 100% is OK??

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
Calculate usable battery capacity based on rated miles values
per the above thread, 75 is actually 72.6 and SW limited 60 is 62.4, so 62.4/72.6 ~ 85% so it seems all is top limited--so routinely charging a 60 to 100% is OK??
And this was the point I was getting at. The difference in kWh between a 60 & a 75 is really only about 10 kWh, not 15 kWh as the descriptions would make you believe. That's why a 60 at 100% becomes a 75 at 85% instead of 80%. I was hoping that Tesla wasn't lying about capacity of the cars and that a 60 at 0% would become a 75 at 5%...

I'm guessing this thread will die a quick death what with the price drop on the 60 to 75 upgrade and all but I haven't upgraded my 60D since we have an 85 for longer trips. I supercharged the 60D today from 30km left in the battery to a 100% (350 km) charge which we largely have determined is 86% of the 75 KWh capacity. A bit of mental math as I pulled into the supercharger dictates 30 km is in the 8-9% remaining range (30/350=.085). So far so good. Now when I got home and checked my 3rd party Tesla logging app it showed me starting to charge with about 14% battery remaining. Huh? Is it conceivable that 0% in a 60D still has 5% usable? In other words If I showed 0 and hit the big red upgrade to 75 button my state of charge would magically be 5%? I didn't let my state of charge go below 30 km but saw no power limit yellow arc which I usually see by that point in the 85 so that's another clue that would seem to indicate there is a little more room at the bottom. Does that make sense or am I way off?

Now when I got home and checked my 3rd party Tesla logging app it showed me starting to charge with about 14% battery remaining. Huh? Is it conceivable that 0% in a 60D still has 5% usable?

Not only is it conceivable, it is true. See my post on Calculate usable battery capacity based on rated miles values for details.

I think you might find something similar (maybe smaller) with your S85.

BTW, what 3rd party logging app are you using? I'm using TM-Spy.