Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Verified False] I THINK THE MID RANGE MODEL 3 IS A SOFTWARE LIMITED LONG RANGE BATTERY PACK!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the mid range battery pack is a software limited long range battery pack that can be upgraded for a fee in the future! Elon loves this kind of stuff! What do you think guys?

Attachments

• A1A79682-7D63-479E-9298-726B8C0662D5.png
    A1A79682-7D63-479E-9298-726B8C0662D5.png
    365.6 KB · Views: 211
Tesla is not gonna fall into the same mistake of S60D.
Otherwise they would have continued to provide S60D.
Of those who purchased S60D, hardly anyone upgraded to 75D by paying $9K plus tax. At one point, Tesla annoyed the owners with ads on the screen how they can purchase to upgrade the range.
In the end, it lowered to 2K and I hear now that some people received it free from service centers.
IMHO, it was a failed experiment.

I would be super surprised if Model 3 Midrange follows the same path.

Where did you hear that some people got the upgrade from 60D -> 75D for free? I'd love to get that.

One guy in TMC was praising crazy about Tesla and how he loves the company. He said he got something special for free but wouldn't reveal in the thread. So he got like 10+ disagrees and apparently everyone was missing it. I saw his signature of his car S60. So I pm'ed him whether it was battery upgrade for free and he said I got it right.

Some other people also reported here and there in S forum they got one after several tries and AFAIK it is rare and depends on how nice the SC representative is.

At first it bothered me because I paid $2275 including tax for it but decided to chill because there are people who paid $9750 for it.

Nevertheless, it is not like I witnessed or I experienced. So take it with a grain of salt.

• Informative
Reactions: RayW
The label on my Model 3 Long Range RWD says its Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) as: 4,806 lbs

bapxnAv.jpg

Website Model 3 Spec says Mid range RWD is: 3,686 lbs.

View attachment 345142

If they are the same battery, they should have about the same weight.
Gross vehicle weight R includes some calculation for passengers and cargo. It's not the weight of the vehicle alone sitting on a scale. It's HIGHLY variable, but basically represents the maximum weight above which the vehicle PLUS cargo and passengers should not go. Note, there is no GVW listed on the door sill. That is the number we need to compare to two vehicles by.

So is the long range version no longer available without AWD?
Since they have only 2 production lines, they can't have 3 options. So, it just MR RWD and LR AWD. This also proves that LR AWD P is just software. Once demand for the LR AWD fades, I'm guessing they will start an MR AWD and MR AWD P. And then SR RWD after MR RWD. SR AWD will be the last option to be manufactured. And since that's what I want, I don't see it happening before Q3 2019. So with a heavy heart, I just cancelled my inline reservation.