TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Veritcal wiper blade programing...

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by wiztecy, Jun 26, 2014.

1. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#1 wiztecy, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    Veritcal wiper blade programming...

Been watching my wiper blade as I pass 65+ MPH and it is exhibiting tremendous resistance to flow, shaking across the windshield. Would be nice to have a programmable wiper that will go vertical to the windshield above 45mph. I don't think the existing infrastructure will be able to be retrofitted easily, thinking OVMS way, but its a thought. I think there's a few ways we can buy efficiency and aerodynamics in the Roadster. Pushing out the front lower lip spoiler to break the air away from the car and under, extending the rear diffuser so that its not causing turbulence and drag which the current one is good at.

But seeing my wiper flicker seems like a low hanging fruit.

Automobile drag coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Windshield wipers
    The effect that windshield wipers have on a vehicles airflow varies between vehicles; however, they are often omitted from race vehicles and high efficiency concepts in order to maintain the smallest possible coefficient of drag. A much more common option is to replace the windshield wipers with lower profile wipers, or to only remove the windshield wiper on the passenger side of the vehicle, and even to fabricate a deflector to deflect the air up and over the wipers.

****Another alternative is to equip the vehicle with a single wiper placed in the centre of the windshield, allowing it to cover both sides of the windshield. This mitigates the amount of drag by decreasing the surface area of the blade.**** While the application of a single wiper blade is useful for performance level vehicles, a common street car would see only marginal improvements in both fuel efficiency and acceleration/speed.

Marginal combined with other efficiencies really adds up.

2. GreenT

GreenT Member

One flaw I see in wiper blades is that the armature is always in the drivers face ... unless you're in a Merc when it is in the middle.

If manfacturers reversed it, the driver would only get distracted by one blade.