Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 1.5 / 2.0 historical question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This question is for those folks that were involved in the Roadster evolution from 1.0 to 1.5 and onwards. What was Tesla's strategy for unfolding the next version of the Roadster? I am curious to see how they managed cannibalizing the current release sales and how the announcements/timing where handled. Obviously I am looking for parallels with the Model S... :wink:

Well, they try to do things on model year changeover when possible. They also seem to try to mix "good news with bad news", such as announcing new features at the same time as a price increase. They may also turn some standard things into options to make the price increase a little less noticeable.

Waiting buyers would rather that prices go down, but what with inflation, and needs to make profits, they tend to go the other direction.

As you have seen with the recent model S price increase, they give a window of "act now or you will miss your chance".

All of these practices seem like fairly typical strategies in the auto business, as well as many other retail product businesses.

When I started asking Tesla about the Roadster, they answered my questions and said "oh,by the way, we've got a new version 2.0 coming out soon. If you order now you will probably get one of the 2.0's" and told me the differences between the two. They had already raised the price on the car earlier and didn't change it again for 2.0. They did offer the Sport model with 2.0, but I don't think they even mentioned that to me at the time, although it came out in a press release soon after.

They announced the 2.5 on the very day my 2.0 was delivered. No prior warning. My 2.0 did however have many of the 2.5 features including upgraded PEM and seats, so Tesla rolled out many of the changes when they were ready rather than waiting for the big announcement. They also, without my asking, did something fairly significant to offset any disappointment I might have had over missing the 2.5.

They announced the 2.5 on the very day my 2.0 was delivered. No prior warning. My 2.0 did however have many of the 2.5 features including upgraded PEM and seats, so Tesla rolled out many of the changes when they were ready rather than waiting for the big announcement. They also, without my asking, did something fairly significant to offset any disappointment I might have had over missing the 2.5.
Tease! What?

I was in line for a 1.5 Roadster. They gave me a heads-up call on the 2.0 prior to the public announcement and offered me the opportunity to wait for one, and even indicated that it would likely only delay my delivery a few weeks. There was a substantial increase in price, mostly because I chose the Sport option. Although I had already spec'd my car, I was given the opportunity to spec a new 2.0 car, and I only forfeited my place in line so far as was necessary to wait for the 2.0 car. Presumably they either didn't build my spec'd car, or they sold it to someone else who wanted it quicker or cheaper.