Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 11, how to turn off auto seat heaters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated to version 11, and took a drive to relatives for the evening. The auto heat seats are cooking us. I believe they are automatic depending on temperature setting now? Is there some way to disable the seat heaters, unless I want them on?

The 1,2,3 red bacon isn't on etc. Would love to not cook on the way back home.

Reactions: mdri
Unfortunately, the auto is grayed out. Which would make me think it shouldn't be on... but is heating. (and, not using auto overall either)
Try toggling Auto on the seat heaters. You might think it's disabled, but it might not be. I noticed that the enabled/disabled modes are hard to tell apart for the Auto seat heater button because the shade doesn't change much. Tesla should have made the "on" setting turn the Auto button blue. Otherwise you might just need to reboot the computer to get the setting to work right.

Strange. If I enable the master auto, then I can turn auto seat heat on or off, but if I turn the overall auto off then seat auto greyed out but heats. No red bacon lights either, unless I manually turn on.

I'll give the reboot a try prior to heading back home.

Thank you all for the suggestions! But, no luck. For whatever reason, it seems to be on low heat (with no indication). It takes about 5 minutes or so to get extra warm. Like on level 1? I've tried main or AC auto on/off(whatever it is called), manually going through the bacon strips, phone app. , two dial rebooted. It shows as off always, but definitely heating. Being in San Diego, it doesn't get very cold. Cool enough to use heat, but no need for heated seats.

I think I will next try it on auto on tomorrow's drive, just to see what it would look like and do?

For today's drive the seat heat decided to act as is was supposed to, and NOT heat. I tried all sorts of things yesterday without any luck, and today I went back to my normal manual settings, and the seats didn't heat, as normally expected. Not interested in auto heating seats, so them not coming today was a good thing. Back to normal... for good I hope.

Appreciate everyone's advice!

And, possibly an important item I forgot to mention. When getting into the car for my drive yesterday, the car was completely dead. I've not had this happen before, and wasn't quite sure what to do, although I frequently read the forums and should know. No screen, nothing happened when stepping on brake etc. I waited for about 1 minute for the car to wake up but nothing. I did a two wheel press, and then about 30 seconds later things came alive. So, maybe something was wacky with things and it resetting by itself or whatever cleared things? Just happy to not get cooked.

And, possibly an important item I forgot to mention. When getting into the car for my drive yesterday, the car was completely dead. I've not had this happen before, and wasn't quite sure what to do, although I frequently read the forums and should know. No screen, nothing happened when stepping on brake etc. I waited for about 1 minute for the car to wake up but nothing. I did a two wheel press, and then about 30 seconds later things came alive. So, maybe something was wacky with things and it resetting by itself or whatever cleared things? Just happy to not get cooked.
I have a brand new Model 3 and I am having the same problem getting cooked by the heated drivers seat. Have been to the Tesla Service center 4 times. They say they have disconnected the seat heaters, but they haven't. Just today they swore they had disconnected the heaters and hours later they were on. Sometimes the bacon strips show on and sometimes they don't and they are still heating up. Very uncomfortable.

If you tap where it says "Auto" the whole button will change from gray to grey. Gray means it's in auto mode and grey is manual.
Actually, the seat heaters still heat up when the climate control is in manual mode as well. With my Model S that I owned for 6 yrs. I kept the cabin temp at 71 in the winter and 70 in the summer. It has been in the 40's and low 50's here lately and I set the cabin temp. at 64 so I don't sweat to death. I am too cool on one side and too hot on the other, but it balances out. Not good for a brand new Model 3.

Try toggling Auto on the seat heaters. You might think it's disabled, but it might not be. I noticed that the enabled/disabled modes are hard to tell apart for the Auto seat heater button because the shade doesn't change much. Tesla should have made the "on" setting turn the Auto button blue. Otherwise you might just need to reboot the computer to get the setting to work right.
When i tap on “auto” to turn the auto heater on i got a message saying “auto seat climate fail” and if i try it from the car I can’t click on the “auto” because is grayed out. Anyone having this problem?