Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 17.2.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla’s first phase of Enhanced Autopilot is finally coming out today, but Elon Musk urges people to be cautious

upload_2017-1-21_21-19-7.png

After
Tesla started pushing the first phase of the new ‘Enhanced Autopilot’ in shadow mode-only to the entire fleet earlier this week, the company is today starting to activate the feature to all cars equipped with the second generation Autopilot hardware. But CEO Elon Musk is asking Tesla owners to be cautious because some cars will need adjustments. When Tesla started pushing the first Autopilot features, the cameras around the Model S or X needed to be calibrated and therefore, the features were enabled for a short time when first activating them.

With the introduction of the first phase of the ‘Enhanced Autopilot’ in shadow mode – meaning that the features were running in the background without taking control of the car – it certainly helped with the calibration of the sensors, but Musk says that the Autopilot team discovered that some cars will need to be serviced for “adjustment of camera pitch angle”:

Drove around on different roads with 35, 40, 45, 50, 55 and highway with 65mph speed limit. Autosteer is disabled on all roads I drove except the highway with 65mph speed limit. On highway, it says Autosteer is available but need reduced speed to engage (different wording, i don't remember the exact words). So, I could not find a place and condition to engage Autosteer!

Got a surprise (false) collision warning, the car slowed down suddenly, kind of a scary thing.

TACC worked fine.

• Informative
Reactions: juice15e and tmarcc
just got and updated to 17.2.12 (was on 2.52.22 prior) on my AP1 car. was hoping for 8.1 update, but alas, will make do with this. Surprised why they are pushing so many updates in Jan while 8.1 is (hopefully) a stone's throw away.

drove this morning with 17.2.12 and didn't notice anything different from 2.52.22. I certainly agree with some other threads in the past that Tesla should make some efforts in release-noting the changes going into these "patches" or hotfixes - whatever they want to call it.

drove this morning with 17.2.12 and didn't notice anything different from 2.52.22. I certainly agree with some other threads in the past that Tesla should make some efforts in release-noting the changes going into these "patches" or hotfixes - whatever they want to call it.

I think the point is that when there's nothing notable to the user, there's not much worth mentioning in the release notes.

I work on a pretty notable codebase, and I can tell you, there's been times where we screwed up and sent out mismatched release notes for a release, and you wouldn't believe how strong placebo effect is. Customers would report feedback based off what the release notes said even though the change wasn't even in the release at all!

• Funny
Reactions: bmah and MP3Mike
Agree that many patches are bug (embarrassment) fixes not worth mentioning as it would shock the customers/trigger unnecessary/wasteful calls/engagements. Apple and many others, still release those patches with customary information such as "security and other related fixes", and those are for phones, non-critical to life/survivability (wife disagrees). Now we are talking about cars - large high-velocity projectiles capable of inflicting major injuries/fatality. I think release notes should accompany every patch going into them (or put them at some place central that owners can access on the web within mytesla login e.g. - make it difficult but still make it available). I know this will not go anywhere, so just a rant. Doesn't change my impression a bit - love the car and the company.

I thought this might be the build that removes the launch mode limits on non-HW2 cars, but relatively few cars have gotten it, and most of them are not performance models. So far only one Model X in the tracker, a P 90D and for Model S: 60, 70, 70D (3), 75, 75D, 85D 90D (4), P85D, P90D (3). None of those cars have HW2, and all but 1 have Autopilot. Given the wide range of VINs updated, it doesn't seem like it's targeted to some particular hardware issue. It looks to me like a broad sample, maybe to test something. It's a pickle.