Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 17.4.14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received and installed version 17.4.14 on my S P90DL AP1 . I think that I'm the first one to receive it among the folks on Teslafi, so I'm reporting it here as a heads-up.

The release notes didn't reveal anything fun though: "This release contains minor improvements and bug fixes." Screenshot attached.

Same here with 90d AP1 notice no changes so far

Got 17.4.14 today as well. 30 mins after getting home, got a phone notification from Tesla app that said "Beer's here." Went down to check out what happened and it turns out the car drove itself to the store, bought a bunch of my favorite beer, and came home. I suspect I'll see the bill for it on my next Service Center visit.

How old is your car? Didn't they check ID?

I went for a drive this morning and Autosteer maybe took a couple of freeway exits I signaled before, but it didn't take another one. Still I'm wondering if 17.4.14 has some changes in how the car slows down and maybe exits.

AP1 car: 75D. got the update (17.4.14) yesterday. Had the .22 and then 17.2.3? before that. I think one autopilot improvement I noticed was how the car was following the car ahead. Until recently, my car would be quite loyal to the car in front - if the front car wanted to change lane to the right e.g., my car would try to follow upto certain point (close to lane divider) and then re-center (perhaps after finding another car up front, and also realizing that it is going off-center). Today, on couple of occasions when the car in front changed lane, my car remained quite steady at the center of my lane. That was assuring!

While on this topic, I would like to call out for an improvement for Tesla autopilot to consider: lane sharing with motorcyles during commute hours (slow moving).

Usually the cars drive closer to left lane marking in a carpool lane, giving the motorcyclists wider space on the right side. My car would follow the car in front and get to the left side. This is when cars are going like 5-15mph speed. After about 2 to 4 seconds, my car would feel like it is losing its religion and re-center itself, stay there for about 5 to 15 seconds, and then, the loyalty to follow car ahead takes over the stick-to-center religion, and so, this snake-like movement continues. I am sure the deviation from religion counter within the car must be giving it quite a grief and it might be going to some confession room (cloud?) often to report such deviations.
Tesla - I am hoping your "neural" network should start to record such events and re-program the cars in run-time to understand "commute time lane sharing etiquette". The potential for accident is when the row of cars are all left-lane-aligned, and the Tesla remembers its religion and re-centers itself and might surprise a motorcyclist...Yea - ideally, we can change rules and stop lane sharing, etc, but given I don't have much hope of that happening, Tesla can adapt.

cheers

I can confirm that the sticky mirror (not opening completely) has now been fully resolved. Despite the squealing I hear from my passenger side mirror during unfolding, the mirror is able to get to the right spot everytime! Cheers to Tesla. Perhaps was already solved in 17.2.3 a week or so ago.

Installed update, for me I have a very much more responsive HW/AP1, lines on the road are almost instant, seeing cars in multiple lanes, quicker responses all round, it feels, for me, like it is so much more on top of everything.

My cameras/sensors are active almost constantly and a lot busier than before, P for parking is seen a lot lot quicker, it is so much faster and more active than before. Thats been my experience driving today.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
Installed update, for me I have a very much more responsive HW/AP1, lines on the road are almost instant, seeing cars in multiple lanes, quicker responses all round, it feels, for me, like it is so much more on top of everything.

My cameras/sensors are active almost constantly and a lot busier than before, P for parking is seen a lot lot quicker, it is so much faster and more active than before. Thats been my experience driving today.

Interesting feedback. Was this mostly on divided highway?

My results are the practically the opposite. I feel like 17.4.14 is where I was 2-3 versions ago, as far as reacting to turns and staying between the lines, on undivided highways and country backroads. I know that is not the Tesla recommended use case, but I drive a route everyday that has become my baseline for testing AP. For example, there is set of 90 degree turns, smooth and level with clear lines, one 15mph the other 25mph. On 7.1, the car would not slow down at all into the turn, definitely would have run off the road if I did not take over. Early 8.0 releases I noticed it slowed down for one turn, but only in one direction. It wouldn't stay between the lines, but would at least stay on the road and recover. Later releases got progressively better, through 2.52.22, which would navigate both turns in both directions, albeit a bit sketchy, but the turn 7.1 almost handled was doable completely between the lines no intervention. I hoped with 17.x it would handle both turns completely.

But no. Now, the car is trying to kill me again. Barely stays on the road in that turn, and doesn't even attempt to slow down on the other one. I am hoping this is just a case of one step back, and we'll see an upcoming 2 steps forward!

On the freeway, things are great. But they have been for a while.

My ultrasonic arches do seem to extend further now, and the reaction time to move over when paralleling a wall is almost instant now, whereas before it would see it, but response was slow, if at all. I'll take that improvement!

As for the Dolby setting, mine turned off with the upgrade, but after turning it back on seemed to stick.

Haven't noticed much else yet, but looking forward to the future!

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
FWIW I haven't noticed too much of a difference from 2.52.22 to 17.4.14. If anything I thought 2.50.120 was the magical update that fixed ~ 6 months worth of 8.0 Autosteer regression for me.

Ultrasonics are MAYBE a little better but it's not a super dramatic improvement. Overall my reviews of 2.50.120, 2.52.22, and 17.4.14 in terms of autosteer are all *thumbs up*.

75D. AP1. I received the update last night. Showed up yesterday afternoon and downloaded overnight. I have not tried it on the highway. I am hoping for some improvement to autosteer. My car moves all over the lane. Recently it took a dive towards a car on the right. At 70 mph this can be a bit gut wrenching.

Quantifying Autopilot improvements is a highly subjective matter.

It seems to me that stopping when coming upon a stopped car from a distance is smoother and starts sooner with 17.4.14 most of the time. The one time the stop was a little hard was with a car presenting a low-contrast with the road surface. I also thought that lane keeping was a little smoother earlier today. Yesterday it was a little rougher, but there was a lot of wind that day.

Last edited:
Quantifying Autopilot improvements is a highly subjective matter.

Very true. One really subjective thing I thought I noticed but wasn't really sure... over time my hands have calibrated the precise amount of resistance it takes to override autosteer, so I can give just enough nudge to recenter in the lane, and hopefully help it learn. Obviously that doesn't always work, but seems to help with small adjustments. Today with 17.4.14 it seemed to take a lot less pressure. I couldn't resist much at all, it would just turn off. Anyone else notice this or was my calibration just off today?