TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Version 2 of the lighted rear appliqué soon to be available

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by artsci, Sep 13, 2015.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Danal and I are a bit concerned about deinstalling the longboard. As careful as we might be it stresses the board and may lead to faults later. So we recommend a new longboard on the Gen 2 appliqué. But we will provide a price break to Gen 1 owners.

2. Gremlin

Gremlin Member

Rick,

Let me know where to order the rear appliqué as I like for it to installed before we meet again in Richmond, VA this April.

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#23 artsci, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    $875 for the production version, with a $50 extra for the painted versions in the Tesla colors. There will be a $50 discount for Gen I owners.

The test production version is $675 but there are only 9 of those and of the nine two blue, two green, one pearl white, one polished aluminum have already been accounted for. That leaves one polished, 1 regular black, and one matte black available for purchase.

We will manufacture 50 of the production version and they will be available for immediate delivery by mid-March.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no official way to order yet. That will come in about a week. I you want one of the nine test production versions please PM me.

4. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Artsci -- what do you think of my idea in the hacking thread to tap into the CAN bus for the applique triggers instead of hardwiring all those connections? I don't know if that can be incorporated into the existing Arduino that Danal has provided, or if it would require a second on, but this would only require two taps -- one for power and one for the CAN.

I've never worked with Arduino or CAN hardware before, so it's outside of my wheelhouse... but I wonder if anyone else has the skills to make something like this work?

This would also make it easier to create new triggers for the Applique -- just update the firmware on the CAN tap.

5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I think this is a fantastic idea as it would make the installation and setup much easier. But it's outside my wheelhouse as well. Any volunteers? I'll contact Danal about this as well.

6. JPP

JPP Active Member

Understood--no worries. I can still send you back the old gen. 1 with the longboard if you need to do forensic analysis etc.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Boy, that would be brilliant! I am pretty handy, but doing all of the taps for the controller and fishing the wiring through the liftgate boot was very tedious when I did it for my gen. 1 applique.

7. WATTS-UP

WATTS-UP Member

pgiralt

Just to give you aheads up, I’m working on making modification to the appliqués so that we will not need to cut the bracket. This will not happen until the summer if things go well, I’m sure Rick
    will keep every one in the loop.

Jurgen

8. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Yes, our hope is to implement this change in the second production run. With that an our hope to tap the CAN bus for all the signals installation gets very, very easy.

9. pgiralt

pgiralt Supporting Member

That would be great! Thanks for all the work you guys are putting into this.

10. WATTS-UP

WATTS-UP Member

#30 WATTS-UP, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    The new Aluminum appliqués are in. Rick, Bill and I installed the first ones in our cars the afternoon. Rick will post pictures. Man do they look sharp.

11. artsci

artsci Sponsor

See this thread for photos and a video.

12. WATTS-UP

WATTS-UP Member

Got a look at the Model X appliqué yesterday. The appliqué on the X does not have a window for the back up light. Thats how Tesla resolved the moisture problem in the lens. Now we have three styles of appliqués two for the S and one for the X.

13. DavidB

DavidB 2010 Roadster Sport || 2013 S85 || 2017 X100D

14. artsci

artsci Sponsor

We've in the process of creating a web site on the GenII applique that should go live next week. It will have all relevant information, demo videos, etc. Orders can also be placed on the site for delivery in mid-March. So stay tuned.

15. WATTS-UP

WATTS-UP Member

I don’t know what kind of reaction you and Bill are getting, I get people taking pictures and making comments “ that is cool “ and I wish I have one. Thinking about having an APPLIQUÉ rally.

16. artsci

artsci Sponsor

When I pay attention to what's going on behind me at traffic lights I often see people snapping photos with their phones.