Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 2 of the lighted rear appliqué soon to be available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But I think you mentioned that I/you might want to get only the gen. 2 applique, deinstall my gen. 1, deinstall the LED longboard array and install it into the new applique, then install the gen. 2 applique. Is this worth it or is it better to just get the fully installed/configured gen. 2 applique??

Danal and I are a bit concerned about deinstalling the longboard. As careful as we might be it stresses the board and may lead to faults later. So we recommend a new longboard on the Gen 2 appliqué. But we will provide a price break to Gen 1 owners.

prices set yet?

$875 for the production version, with a $50 extra for the painted versions in the Tesla colors. There will be a $50 discount for Gen I owners.

The test production version is $675 but there are only 9 of those and of the nine two blue, two green, one pearl white, one polished aluminum have already been accounted for. That leaves one polished, 1 regular black, and one matte black available for purchase.

We will manufacture 50 of the production version and they will be available for immediate delivery by mid-March.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no official way to order yet. That will come in about a week. I you want one of the nine test production versions please PM me.

Last edited:
Artsci -- what do you think of my idea in the hacking thread to tap into the CAN bus for the applique triggers instead of hardwiring all those connections? I don't know if that can be incorporated into the existing Arduino that Danal has provided, or if it would require a second on, but this would only require two taps -- one for power and one for the CAN.

I've never worked with Arduino or CAN hardware before, so it's outside of my wheelhouse... but I wonder if anyone else has the skills to make something like this work?

This would also make it easier to create new triggers for the Applique -- just update the firmware on the CAN tap.

Artsci -- what do you think of my idea in the hacking thread to tap into the CAN bus for the applique triggers instead of hardwiring all those connections? I don't know if that can be incorporated into the existing Arduino that Danal has provided, or if it would require a second on, but this would only require two taps -- one for power and one for the CAN.

I've never worked with Arduino or CAN hardware before, so it's outside of my wheelhouse... but I wonder if anyone else has the skills to make something like this work?

This would also make it easier to create new triggers for the Applique -- just update the firmware on the CAN tap.

I think this is a fantastic idea as it would make the installation and setup much easier. But it's outside my wheelhouse as well. Any volunteers? I'll contact Danal about this as well.

Danal and I are a bit concerned about deinstalling the longboard. As careful as we might be it stresses the board and may lead to faults later. So we recommend a new longboard on the Gen 2 appliqué. But we will provide a price break to Gen 1 owners.

Understood--no worries. I can still send you back the old gen. 1 with the longboard if you need to do forensic analysis etc.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Boy, that would be brilliant! I am pretty handy, but doing all of the taps for the controller and fishing the wiring through the liftgate boot was very tedious when I did it for my gen. 1 applique.

pgiralt

Just to give you aheads up, I’m working on making modification to the appliqués so that we will not need to cut the bracket. This will not happen until the summer if things go well, I’m sure Rick
will keep every one in the loop.

Jurgen

pgiralt

Just to give you aheads up, I’m working on making modification to the appliqués so that we will not need to cut the bracket. This will not happen until the summer if things go well, I’m sure Rick
will keep every one in the loop.

Jurgen

Yes, our hope is to implement this change in the second production run. With that an our hope to tap the CAN bus for all the signals installation gets very, very easy.

Got a look at the Model X appliqué yesterday. The appliqué on the X does not have a window for the back up light. Thats how Tesla resolved the moisture problem in the lens. Now we have three styles of appliqués two for the S and one for the X.

IMG_1641.jpg