Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got 10.4 on our X and the update tanked the car for a while with both screens blank.
Yes, I forgot to mention that. My update took >45 min.
Also front doors will not open for some time while the update is in progress.
Interestingly while the screens are dark, the rear lift gate latch still will work -- just not the auto lift motors... so you can still get in... if required.
While the update is going on... watch your mobile device for the signal that the update is complete. Have faith... it will come back.

-TechVP

Autopilot is SO much more advanced - love this version! Prior versions couldn't handle the 4 miles of curvy road down to the main road - now, it goes the entire way without a hiccup.

It feels so much more confident, no micro movements, no moving around in the lane.

Annnnndddd.... it now navigates the extremely narrow Hood River bridge that I cross several times a week. Note that the proximity sensors are solid red the entire way across.

Really great video, but as a film expert, it's clearly missing one thing.... hard core gangsta rap. Perhaps some puppet hands. Still very promising :)

I just got 2018.10.4 on my 2016 Model X. The browser doesn't feel any faster to me, and it still reports WebKit 534.34, the same as Teslas have since 2013.

They did absolutely release new MCU's a week ago with a much faster processor inside, so that is likely what people are reporting. It's not tied to a new software build- some of those MCU's are running 2016.50 code and are still fast.

Haha, "narrow bridge", you Americans amuse me :D
Oh let's not go all 'Euro superior' on us poor Americans. Those bridge railings are covered in scrapes from terrified tourists who met a logging truck on their way across. Granted, it's not like some bridges that you have to back up to let a car get by -- but it is a mile long & not a rural bridge. It connects Highway 30 to Highway 14. Major conduit.

Reactions: StephB
Nothing about superiority but available space ;) I didn't want to offend anyone. But there are so much narrower streets in parts where I live. I would say that's the regular space you get in a construction site on a motorway here and believe me, there are a lot of folks shitting their pants and don't dare to overtake a semi with their fancy German cars :D.
In fact, in most construction sites there is a 2 meters (~6.5 foot) car wideness limit (with mirrors) on the left lane in construction zones. So in theory not even a todays VW Golf is allowed to drive there.

Back to topic. It looks promising and I can't await to get 10.4 and try it myself. Tesla, if you read this, you know what to do, thanks.

Autopilot is SO much more advanced - love this version! Prior versions couldn't handle the 4 miles of curvy road down to the main road - now, it goes the entire way without a hiccup.

It feels so much more confident, no micro movements, no moving around in the lane.

Annnnndddd.... it now navigates the extremely narrow Hood River bridge that I cross several times a week. Note that the proximity sensors are solid red the entire way across.

Pretty brave letting AP drive on that bridge lol. Good to see it made it though.

Pretty brave letting AP drive on that bridge lol. Good to see it made it though.
No bravery beyond normal driving over the bridge. :) I had a hand on the wheel & foot hovering over the brake the entire way. Also, AP wanted to go faster on the bridge - a couple quick downward clicks of the stalk & it was quickly disabused of that notion. I needed enough reaction time.

OK tested 2018.10.4 on a 5 mile loop near my house with many tight twisting turns and only got 1 disengagement, where I had about a dozen with last firmware. It now handles turns it never even came close on before. Also noticed a new alert that sounds like a disengagement, but I guess just a warning as it sounded but AP stayed engaged (noticed on very tight turns). Might not be new, but I never noticed it before.

Have to admit I thought @bonnie was over hyping this update, but it is a vast improvement over 2018.6.1. Now I want the same update on my S :)

Updated last night to 2018.10.4 from 6.1 and quickly noticed a couple of things this morning for my Feb-17 Model S90:

1- definitely improved browser speed. Teslawaze was clearly better and faster. Maybe ATT popped up some more antennas in the area (doubtful), but there was a clear difference this morning.

2 - when there was a city bus in front of me, the dashboard showed two cars close together as if it were "seeing" ahead of the car in front of me?. I hadn't noticed this before.​

• Love
Reactions: Doctt and bonnie