Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This 10.4 release is significantly better than previous release. I don't feel any ping-pong, lane change is much smoother instead of an abrupt change, no more sudden slam on the brake in previous release, handles broken lane markers better. One good change for me is no more 'chicken out' disengage whenever a big vehicle is coming from the rhs.

Reactions: cybergates
Anyone notice the auto wiper is worse than before?
Kind of. It’s more calm and waits for more rain accumulating to activate but when it does, it wipes in a regular matter.

My only criticism is that the II sensitivity should really be I and there should be another more sensitive level.

However it’s still performing adequately to my satisfaction as far as wipers go.

but.. but.. but. has it reached AP1 parity?

i want to know what @oktane "Musk is fraud" thinks about this update

Do you even have a Tesla anymore? Why are you trolling @oktane? Just because you disagree with him? He bought when I did and Q4 2016 buyers have legitimate gripes about being sold a stinking pile of manure until Karpathy was hired and had time to fix this mess.

Is this software update around 500MB? I am seeing a device called "unknown device" on my router bandwidth page and it did a 500MB download on March 15. It gave me the Mac Addr but I couldn't find the Mac Addr on the Tesla screen. I am thinking it is the Tesla.

I have to test out the Frunk opening! I never used the Frunk because by the time you can open it, you are already inside the car. Even having it on app probably won't help too much. The trunk is easy because you can just press the button. I wonder if they could update the front and back camera to see a "gesture" for you to open the trunk and frunk. That would be awesome.

553MB for me. You can get the MAC address for the Tesla by accessing the WIFI settings I think (there is an info thing). I haven't done it in 15 months, so you might want to research that more.

My preference was for a +12 +10.5 +9 +10.5 +12 EQ curve (bass to treble). Now that +8 is the max I don’t like the sound as much. Seems like less bass for sure. Could just be me. Would like to hear a side by side comparison with a X without the software update. Tesla technical support stated they will be following up with me with any details regarding the change.

It's not just you.. I agree.. And so does several other people

but.. but.. but. has it reached AP1 parity?

i want to know what @oktane "Musk is fraud" thinks about this update
I have AP2, only tried AP1 limited # of times, I once have a loaner and similar disengage experience, the lane keeping definitely is smoother than AP2 until 10.4, this is the first release that I can say drive closer to a driver rather than a 14 years old with learner permit, it tapped lightly on the brake couple of times unnecssarily over 30+ mins of drive but nothing really bothersome.

Reactions: Ulmo
Autopilot is SO much more advanced - love this version! Prior versions couldn't handle the 4 miles of curvy road down to the main road - now, it goes the entire way without a hiccup.

It feels so much more confident, no micro movements, no moving around in the lane.

Annnnndddd.... it now navigates the extremely narrow Hood River bridge that I cross several times a week. Note that the proximity sensors are solid red the entire way across.
Finally. I feel like this is something worthwhile for Tesla to put forth for their AP push. They seriously lagged til now ... I hope they can continue with improvements from here on, and since they've been investing in platforms, I hope the platforms they are working on implementing will help that happen.

Reactions: croman
Drove from Ontario to Santa Monica and back today without taking control of it once, freeway changes and all (I did use lane change to position it to the freeway I wanted, for clarity). First time I’ve been able to do that. Other than being bugged to hold the steering wheel every minute or whatever it is, it’s almost perfect. Actually, way better than a lot of human drivers I saw along the way ;)

Well, the results are in. Not once did I have to wrest control away from AP during my drive, other than to avoid a piece of trash in the road.
10.4 handled all of the sharp hills and dips that used to try to kill me by steering me off the road.

The only thing I wasn't quite happy with, and it may not be solvable, is that with really strong, gusty side-winds, the car tends to weave a bit. Most likely it weaves a lot less than I would have had I been doing the steering, but as a passenger it was noticeable since I didn't have anything else to do other that to critique the car's driving. :)

10.4 is a win!
When it's very windy, it could look at the plants, dust, and snow on the side of the road to see how fast each bit is moving and predict the wind coming up in an optimal way to stay straight and safe from other vehicles that might not stay straight (slowing down around a truck until it's safe to pass, but allowing other drivers to pass you while you slow down, etc.). Don't worry: there's always something it could do to improve.

We got the update today and I noticed it feels more like a person driving instead of a drunk person. Everything was more fluid.

HOWEVER, we had a car cross in front of us with plenty of time to spare and my Model X slammed the brakes on as if it were avoiding an accident. I actually heard the anti-lock ratchet kick in. Problem is that the car had already made it across two lanes of traffic and was not a threat when the car decided to take action.
Weird!

To me, this update might be the one Elon talked about end of last year as being SILKEY!

It is so smooth, not only going down the road, but switching lanes with turn signal. It no longer darts to the other lane, then speeds up aggressively. Instead it precisely merges into the next lane and slowly adjust speed to go with the flow.

G/F always used to get nervous with autopilot, and to a lesser degree, so was I. Now the Autopilot 2 simply drives smoothly down the road, as with a human driver. It also brakes and accelerates much more smoothly.

SILKEY is here!

• Helpful
Reactions: jrad6515 and Ulmo
No, I had notice from YouTube that the copyright holder might monetize, but permission granted.
I just learned that's a thing reading that. Well, if they're going to enslave us with copyrights, at least they can make the chains rest lightly on us, Google, so thank you for automonetizing my background music captured in real life videos. Just great. Thank god I don't usually have background anything of monetization in any of my real life recordings.

Kind of. It’s more calm and waits for more rain accumulating to activate but when it does, it wipes in a regular matter.
I asked for that feature! Blame me, then realize how I wanted it to be used: put on Aquapel, Rain-X, or another hydrophobic coating that bunches up rain drops to stay out of your way looking out your windshield, and then you won't need to wipe as often. I don't know if they fully implemented a Rain-X mode to make certain it stays super-calm, though, which would be the best.
My only criticism is that the II sensitivity should really be I and there should be another more sensitive level.

However it’s still performing adequately to my satisfaction as far as wipers go.