Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 2020.32.3 USB issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i had no issues with a sandisk extremepro ssd for the past few months. since the new 2020.32.5 update, dash has been intermittent.

issues found:

1) sentry mode recordings (usually 3mins long), now a quick 2 second clip. no red dot, and no usable footage.

2) since formatting (in car) dashcam and sentry mode recording have stopped working. Ive tried rebooting car aswell

3) ssd unreadable and not recognized by the car. formatted on pc to no avail. ssd works on pc, phone. so ive ruled this out. thinking of buying a new one just to test but i think this is software related.

4) ntfs format leads to error "too many partitions detected. pls format ur usb device manually via computer

5) exfat format leads to grey format button with note of " insert usb device"

Im formatting to fat32 with rufus app. will update if it works. ive also switched off sentry mode for now

Last edited:
I've been on 32.3 for almost 2 weeks now and haven't had any issues with dash cam or sentry mode. I have a splitter on both my USB ports and use a Samsung USB flash drive. I do have a slider when viewing dash cam footage, it starts closer to where the incident happened (red dot on slider) but I can move the slider to any point I want without issue. When the stick gets full of saved clips I use the format option to clear it out and start fresh.

I had this problem quite frequently when I was using a Raspberry Pi to handle my sentry recordings.

Here's the workaround that worked for me...

Prior to installing a car software update, properly dismount the drive, and completely remove it from the USB port. THEN run the software update. Plug the device in after the update is complete and the car is awake again.

If you're currently experiencing the problem, dismount/remove the drive from the USB port. Power off the car using the "Power Off" menu option. Wait til the car comes back to life, then plug the USB device back in.