Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 2022.12.3.20 freezing touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On May 31, my car updated to version 2022.12.3.20 (an FSD beta branch). This brought back heated-seat and defogger controls on the main screen (hurray -- but just after winter ended), but twice since then, the touchscreen has become unresponsive. The screen still updates -- maps, speedometer, etc. -- but the touchscreen just won't respond to touches. Both times, I've fixed the problem by rebooting the computer, but two times in a week or two seems excessive for this sort of problem. (I've had my car since late March of 2019, and I don't recall this ever happening before, although I have had to reboot a few times for other reasons.)

Has anybody else run into this problem? Does anybody have suggestions for how to prevent it from happening? I'm about to go file a bug report with Tesla, but I was curious if I was alone in this. It's also a potential safety concern, since some functions can only be accessed via the touch screen -- if I needed to change headlight or windshield wiper settings while driving and the screen was dead, that'd be a problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
Touchscreen not working two times in a handful of days for me needing a hard reboot. I'm also having autopilot error out, cruise control disabled, and automatic emergency braking disabled. I believe all of these are new behaviors since the last update. I've had my car since 2018 - all of these issues are new for me.

Reactions: Frunkenstein
Ouch. It sounds like 2022.12.3.20 is a real dog of a release. It's times like this that I wish Tesla had a way to roll back a software update. Also and FWIW, Tesla's contact link is up only from 8AM to 3PM M-F, California time, so I have to wait a bit to file my bug report. (Tesla really needs better customer communication options!)

I've had my touchscreen go unresponsive twice now in about 2 weeks. I've been on 2022.12.3.12 for the past two weeks (and no instances of this prior to these two since Sept. '21 delivery).

Has anyone received an acknowledgement from Tesla service that this is a known issue and will be addressed in a future update?

Edit: I wanted to add that a soft reboot the first time fixed it. This second time, I'm just going to let the MY sleep for a little bit and see if it is fixed on my next drive.

Last edited:
I had this some months ago. Not nice if you have pin-to-drive enabled... Went to SeC: as it wasn't happening all the time, they could not diagnose it properly. Problem stayed, I made a log with screenshots (movies). They replaced the complete touchscreen.

• Informative
Has anyone received an acknowledgement from Tesla service that this is a known issue and will be addressed in a future update?
I've received no acknowledgement or promise of an update, but I did use the Tesla customer support portal to "chat" with a customer service person to submit a bug report, since it's a little too complex to cover with the in-car voice-activated bug report feature. If they get enough such reports, it might spur them to speed along a bug fix.

I've received no acknowledgement or promise of an update, but I did use the Tesla customer support portal to "chat" with a customer service person to submit a bug report, since it's a little too complex to cover with the in-car voice-activated bug report feature. If they get enough such reports, it might spur them to speed along a bug fix.
I did something similar. I opened a service request. They asked some basic questions, and asked if I did the two button solute to do a soft reset (which I confirmed and mentioned the issue recurred about a week or two later). They then just confirmed the service appointment.

My wife is not comfortable with a non-functional touchscreen (which I'm not a fan of either), so after I let the car site for a day (7 hours) and then the next drive the screen was still not functional, I had to do another two button solute to resolve the issue. I then asked Tesla if this is a known issue since it never happened on prior releases (10,000 miles in).

I'm curious what they come back with (if anything). I don't want them to replace the touchscreen if this is a software bug. I don't want to have to re-purchase and re-apply my touchscreen anti-fingerprint protector. ;)

I'm curious what they come back with (if anything). I don't want them to replace the touchscreen if this is a software bug. I don't want to have to re-purchase and re-apply my touchscreen anti-fingerprint protector. ;)
Given that at least four of us have experienced the same symptom soon after recent software updates (to 2022.12.3.20 in my case; I don't believe anybody else in this thread has posted software version numbers), and the fact that it's fixed by rebooting the infotainment screen, then I'd say the odds heavily favor it being a software bug.

Touchscreen not working two times in a handful of days for me needing a hard reboot. I'm also having autopilot error out, cruise control disabled, and automatic emergency braking disabled. I believe all of these are new behaviors since the last update. I've had my car since 2018 - all of these issues are new for me.
On May 31, my car updated to version 2022.12.3.20 (an FSD beta branch). This brought back heated-seat and defogger controls on the main screen (hurray -- but just after winter ended), but twice since then, the touchscreen has become unresponsive. The screen still updates -- maps, speedometer, etc. -- but the touchscreen just won't respond to touches. Both times, I've fixed the problem by rebooting the computer, but two times in a week or two seems excessive for this sort of problem. (I've had my car since late March of 2019, and I don't recall this ever happening before, although I have had to reboot a few times for other reasons.)

Has anybody else run into this problem? Does anybody have suggestions for how to prevent it from happening? I'm about to go file a bug report with Tesla, but I was curious if I was alone in this. It's also a potential safety concern, since some functions can only be accessed via the touch screen -- if I needed to change headlight or windshield wiper settings while driving and the screen was dead, that'd be a problem.
Same here. Tesla service said it’s a firmware issue under investigation.

I get a frozen navigation list when I set a destination. It drops down to show the routing, and instead of collapsing up and beginning the route, it just stays down covering up a quarter of the screen. The map still shows the location of the car, but no detail as it still displaying the entire route on the screen. You can get it to collapse and start if you touch it in just the right place and swipe up, but you might get nagged for not paying attention to the road as you try and fix this. Resets fix it temporarily.