Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 9 looks like on its way finally!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most cars don't have wireless and I doubt Tesla has the built-in hardware for wireless CarPlay.

It's moot anyway, the only reason not to implement it in some form is ego, and we know there's plenty of that at Tesla.

The car of tomorrow, with yesterday's phone integration is what we'll have for the foreseeable future. Could be worse by a long shot, though.

Reactions: jsmay311 and TT97
It's moot anyway, the only reason not to implement it in some form is ego, and we know there's plenty of that at Tesla.

The car of tomorrow, with yesterday's phone integration is what we'll have for the foreseeable future. Could be worse by a long shot, though.

I guess it depends on your view of CarPlay as a technological advancement.

I have used CarPlay on multiple rentals over the past couple years. On a rental, CarPlay is perfect - all my info/media is right there in a recognizable form. However, CarPlay is very disjointed from the ecosystem of the car. Great on a rental, but for my car, I want a system the that is better integrated. [It would also be nice if I am using navigation outside the U.S. that it would automatically convert to metric - telling me an exit is 5 miles away doesn't help when all the signs are in kilometers.]

What I would really love to see is for Tesla to have its own app store giving us the ability to download the media we use. I pretty much listen to Pocket Casts 95% of the time I am listening to something. My account transfers between my phones and iPads and the podcasts are always synced throughout - it would be great if the podcast app in the car would also be synced.

I guess it depends on your view of CarPlay as a technological advancement.

I have used CarPlay on multiple rentals over the past couple years. On a rental, CarPlay is perfect - all my info/media is right there in a recognizable form. However, CarPlay is very disjointed from the ecosystem of the car. Great on a rental, but for my car, I want a system the that is better integrated. [It would also be nice if I am using navigation outside the U.S. that it would automatically convert to metric - telling me an exit is 5 miles away doesn't help when all the signs are in kilometers.]

What I would really love to see is for Tesla to have its own app store giving us the ability to download the media we use. I pretty much listen to Pocket Casts 95% of the time I am listening to something. My account transfers between my phones and iPads and the podcasts are always synced throughout - it would be great if the podcast app in the car would also be synced.

If they give me Audible.com audiobook client with syncing, a REAL podcast app, and text message handling, I’ll no longer whine about the infotainment setup.

• Love
Reactions: paulvinh and TT97
0zabba5hxpo11.png

It’s not a 3, but the concept for the auto lane change guidance should be similar. User verification of suggested lane changes is on by default. I believe, and can be disabled so the car handles lane changes by itself with a warning from Tesla that the user must remain vigilant at all times.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
For the dashcam feature, which flash drive is everyone buying that will be using this new feature?

Looks like it has to support fat32 format and per the release notes be as large in storage as possible. I know nothing about fat32. But the quick google search I did seemed to indicate this format was best for flash drives 32gb or less.

Any insight in what to buy from our experienced file format/flash drive members would be much appreciated.

Brand new model 3 owner, just under a week. How do software updates work? Do I have to be on WiFi? Does it just "happen" or is there a way I can initiate it?
It just happens. You have no control on when you get the update. Updates are rolled out slowly over several weeks, so others will probably have the new version before you do (unless you get lucky enough to be in the first group).

For the dashcam feature, which flash drive is everyone buying that will be using this new feature?

Looks like it has to support fat32 format and per the release notes be as large in storage as possible. I know nothing about fat32. But the quick google search I did seemed to indicate this format was best for flash drives 32gb or less.

Any insight in what to buy from our experienced file format/flash drive members would be much appreciated.

You can format FAT32 much larger than that, it's just less efficient.

I do wish they were a bit more specific about size though since we've no idea what format they're doing the video in... so depending on that 32GB might hold 10 hours of video or it might hold 10 minutes.

It just happens. You have no control on when you get the update. Updates are rolled out slowly over several weeks, so others will probably have the new version before you do (unless you get lucky enough to be in the first group).
So I've heard word you could potentially trigger by cruising a Service Center, some sort of wifi/geofencing thing. Urban myth?

At any rate if you had a reason for a service call they generally manually trigger IIRC.

Probably you should purchase one of the flash drives that has a high read/write speed capability. This will make sure that the car can easily write the footage to the flash drive, and that you can read it on a computer easily and quickly.

The SanDisk Extreme Pro USB 3.1 128GB is highly rated. A 256GB version is also available.

There are several utilities available for Windows that can format the flash drive as FAT32 even if it's larger than 32GB. Ridgecrop Consultants makes the simplest one.

So I've heard word you could potentially trigger by cruising a Service Center, some sort of wifi/geofencing thing. Urban myth?

That was actually true for a while back in 2016 (did it myself several times), but Tesla patched that by making it so that the update will only be pushed if there's an open service ticket for the car.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Probably you should purchase one of the flash drives that has a high read/write speed capability. This will make sure that the car can easily write the footage to the flash drive, and that you can read it on a computer easily and quickly.

The SanDisk Extreme Pro USB 3.1 128GB is highly rated. A 256GB version is also available.

There are several utilities available for Windows that can format the flash drive as FAT32 even if it's larger than 32GB. Ridgecrop Consultants makes the simplest one.
I'm inclined to get the thumbnail sized one, because of where you have to plug in. Having it stick out like that looks like an invitation to get busted off in the port. :/

Example:

Are you a human?

You can format FAT32 much larger than that, it's just less efficient.

I do wish they were a bit more specific about size though since we've no idea what format they're doing the video in... so depending on that 32GB might hold 10 hours of video or it might hold 10 minutes.
It was interesting to me that despite not mentioning any size requirements, the notes say something like "after about an hour it will begin to overwrite older files".