Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 9 looks like on its way finally!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've heard word you could potentially trigger by cruising a Service Center, some sort of wifi/geofencing thing. Urban myth?

I tried it last year when I was a new owner. It did not work. However, I only sat outside 5 minutes while the SC was closed on a Sunday evening. Obviously it takes longer to download than 5 min, but my thinking was that it would trip some kind of flag and I could resume the download at home over WiFi. It didn't work. And I was not going to sit there for 6 hours and try it again.

Probably you should purchase one of the flash drives that has a high read/write speed capability. This will make sure that the car can easily write the footage to the flash drive, and that you can read it on a computer easily and quickly.

The SanDisk Extreme Pro USB 3.1 128GB is highly rated. A 256GB version is also available.

There are several utilities available for Windows that can format the flash drive as FAT32 even if it's larger than 32GB. Ridgecrop Consultants makes the simplest one.

Is it simple to reformat to fat32 if the only computer you have available is Apple?

Extremely suboptimal solution from a usability standpoint. I have to do that with audiobooks and podcasts. If Tesla would acknowledge the weakness of their media solution and give us CarPlay and Android Auto, this would all be a non-issue.

OMG no. I had CarPlay. It's horrible and glitchy. Please, for the love of god, don't put CarPlay into my Tesla. On my last car I had to put in a "USB data interrupter" dongle so I could charge my phone without CarPlay starting up.

Probably you should purchase one of the flash drives that has a high read/write speed capability. This will make sure that the car can easily write the footage to the flash drive, and that you can read it on a computer easily and quickly.

The SanDisk Extreme Pro USB 3.1 128GB is highly rated. A 256GB version is also available.

There are several utilities available for Windows that can format the flash drive as FAT32 even if it's larger than 32GB. Ridgecrop Consultants makes the simplest one.

I went with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GL2HV1Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It goes up to 512Gb and is rated for higher temperatures.

I'm inclined to get the thumbnail sized one, because of where you have to plug in. Having it stick out like that looks like an invitation to get busted off in the port. :/

Example:

Are you a human?

I have two of those drives, one of which I use on a daily basis at work. It's been very reliable for me and I love the compact size. I just ordered a new 64GB one for the dash cam feature.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I guess it depends on your view of CarPlay as a technological advancement.

I have used CarPlay on multiple rentals over the past couple years. On a rental, CarPlay is perfect - all my info/media is right there in a recognizable form. However, CarPlay is very disjointed from the ecosystem of the car. Great on a rental, but for my car, I want a system the that is better integrated. [It would also be nice if I am using navigation outside the U.S. that it would automatically convert to metric - telling me an exit is 5 miles away doesn't help when all the signs are in kilometers.]

What I would really love to see is for Tesla to have its own app store giving us the ability to download the media we use. I pretty much listen to Pocket Casts 95% of the time I am listening to something. My account transfers between my phones and iPads and the podcasts are always synced throughout - it would be great if the podcast app in the car would also be synced.
Does CarPlay drain the battery on your phone?