Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 9 Maps & Traffic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Version 9 is growing on me. I’m not super keen on the graphics I do like the GUI though. One thing that bugging my wife and I is the lack of green traffic. Only shows red, orange, etc. Makes the map devoid of even more color and makes it harder to read for us.

Wondering if There is a setting to turn it on or are we SOL

We're all SOL. The new monochrome maps are painful to use as a map. They're fine to use as a route navigation aid; but we already have that in the instrument cluster!

Especially now, without the green for free-flowing roads. At a glance (depending on where you live); is that a road or is that a creek? Is that a park or is that a pond? Etc, Etc, Etc... At first, in theory, I thought the lack of unnecessary data would be great. And if the maps didn't go monochrome, it would have been.

I grew-up navigating trails, roads, waterways, airways, etc. We used maps as actual maps. Since the advent of mass produced color printing, quality maps have been in color to help distinguish different elements at a glance, and as a whole. My third GPS I owned was the first GPS with a map overlay. It was monochrome, and had a 2" screen. It was great for waypoints and navigation, but useless as an actual map. It seems I've come full circle...

I prefer satellite view, so there is plenty of color. Do miss the green lines when navigating in cities, however.

Navigation map Million Dollary Highway2149crop 10-17-18.jpg

Navigation map Gateway2148crop 10-17-18.jpg

Green gives me confidence that there is valid traffic data and that it is clear. Blank can mean no traffic or no data. From a practical matter, no traffic data usually means no traffic as the traffic data is collected mostly from cars. However, there are times when there isn a network issue and some traffic lines don’t download, it wasn’t obvious before when patches of green was missing, now there is a chance for wrongs asumption.

Green gives me confidence that there is valid traffic data and that it is clear. Blank can mean no traffic or no data. From a practical matter, no traffic data usually means no traffic as the traffic data is collected mostly from cars. However, there are times when there isn a network issue and some traffic lines don’t download, it wasn’t obvious before when patches of green was missing, now there is a chance for wrongs asumption.
Green can also mean no data. Closed roads here still showed green because presumably there were no cars.

Green can also mean no data. Closed roads here still showed green because presumably there were no cars.
Myself and others have a different experience on this one... Any time we had a road closer, the lines would first be green, but after a certain number of hours (or days, depending on the specific road), the lines would disappear.

I'm sure it has to do with the frequency of vehicles traveled on the road and the historic patterns, that determine how long it will stay green before it determines there's no current valid data for that road.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Myself and others have a different experience on this one... Any time we had a road closer, the lines would first be green, but after a certain number of hours (or days, depending on the specific road), the lines would disappear.

I'm sure it has to do with the frequency of vehicles traveled on the road and the historic patterns, that determine how long it will stay green before it determines there's no current valid data for that road.
I think this is how Google maps works. I've seen flooded roads where the colors went from green through to dark red (turn arounds?), then nothing for those segments where nobody has passed for a while. Those are obvious and different from where there's an accident and traffic trickling by, for example.

Reactions: JohnnyG
As an AP1 driver I'm seeing reduced functionality and options pretty much across the board. One super-annoying thing about the lack of green in the traffic display is this: I live in So Cal, and it's literally a daily occurance to have traffic backed up on one side of the freeway but clear going in the opposite direction. It used to be pretty easy to tell which side of the freeway the traffic was on. Now I have to squint at the screen for a second to try and make out which shade of gray is on which side of the bad traffic markers. Definitely less safety than before for urban drivers.

I miss the green - it's totally lame not to have it. No color means no traffic information available. Now, no color means either no traffic is present or no info is available - shouldn't have to guess

Correct, no color already meant something so now there's less data than there was before since there's no difference between no traffic and green traffic.

As an AP1 driver I'm seeing reduced functionality and options pretty much across the board. One super-annoying thing about the lack of green in the traffic display is this: I live in So Cal, and it's literally a daily occurance to have traffic backed up on one side of the freeway but clear going in the opposite direction. It used to be pretty easy to tell which side of the freeway the traffic was on. Now I have to squint at the screen for a second to try and make out which shade of gray is on which side of the bad traffic markers. Definitely less safety than before for urban drivers.

The more I read the more I'm SUPER glad that I didn't upgrade to V9. Wow!!!

Reactions: JohnnyG
For drivers that are color blind, they should file complaints with Tesla if the new displays are not usable.

Proper UI design should not rely entirely on color, or at least provide an option to support color blind users.

Reactions: pilotSteve