Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 9 on AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this in the main v9 thread but wanted to point out that the AP1 auto lane changing feature seems much improved over prior versions. There is noticeably less lag between engaging the turn signal and the car moving into the next lane. I’d say the lag is now equivalent to how long I would wait before I start moving the car over (~1 second) when driving manually. If there is an adjacent car in the next lane when engaging the turn signal, the lag before moving over after the other car has moved away is also less (also about 1 second after the other car has cleared the set follow distance). Overall, the behavior seems much more consistent and predictable, so much so that I was able to use auto lane change to cut in between two closely spaced cars (approx two car lengths between them). The shorter lag allowed me to change lanes quickly right when I thought it was safe. Of course there’s a chance this is all in my head, but I feel like before there was a lot more “so are we gonna move over or not?” going on whenever I initiated an auto lane change on prior versions.

It is not in your head; there are improvements to AP1. I tried to lane change right into another car on the right. My speed was a few clicks faster than the car on the right, so it waited until I was far enough ahead, the whole time yellow sensor light in the cluster flashing, and then made the lane change. I have never tried it before, and I never got version 36 on its own as my update went right from 32.4 to 39 so I don't know if that would have worked on that version or not, but I was not inclined to try it. I did notice V32.4 provided less lag you mention and the smoother lane change whereas before (28.5) it was erratic and sudden; and when you didn't hold the steering wheel long enough and the lane change aborted to go back to the original lane it was REALLY jerky. If you don't have at least your right wheels over the lines on the right it aborts but now it smoothly drives back into the original left lane so you don't look like those inexperienced drivers who are always overcorrecting with too much steering wheel input.

It is interesting while the icon of adjacent cars disappears in the instrument cluster as soon as they are along side of my AP1 car, the sensors still work well enough behind the car to allow safe lane changes. Who needs cameras on the sides? As long as there are not really fast approaching cars coming up the rear the sensors seem to function well. Could these be good enough for self driving?

And the browser, you know, the tired old one attached to a late 2014 MCU1? It works MUCH faster. I am on 3G, and while waiting at the supercharger I tried to bring up Chargehub. It worked! In the past at the exact same location trying the same website I just gave up trying; it took so long I ran out of patience and concluded the browser was essentially useless. The phone is still quicker of course, but the browser is now at least useable.

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and f-stop
They are basically consumables on these cars, so this should allow for less frequent repair/replacement

Gotcha. Thanks for the screenshots they were fantastic. Impressed with the more intuitive consolidation and reorganization of some settings, although retaining the settings screen memory would be nice.

Disappointed with the relative lack of improvement on the IP. Not that it was unusable before but I would hope in two years they could make it even more functional for us AP1ers.

Didn't it always do that?

Yes it did. Here in Europe I'm still on version 8 and it shows adjacent lanes with AP1.
I'm in the USA. AP1 with v8 did not display adjacent lanes.
IMG_7954.jpg
Pardon my curiosity but why would you keep auto-present handles off?
They are basically consumables on these cars, so this should allow for less frequent repair/replacement
I also found it annoying and imo safer for the car not to present as I walked towards it.

I'm in the USA. AP1 with v8 did not display adjacent lanes.
View attachment 341930

You are incorrect about AP1 and adjacent lanes. It has always shown the adjacent lanes when they are visible to the car. That is how the car would indicate the ability to perform an auto lane change when using auto steer.

I noticed the Lights controls no longer have an image of the car, showing the actual status of the headlights, fog lights, DRLs, etc. Did that move somewhere else?

Here's my use case: when I need to pick someone up and have to wait a few minutes for them to arrive, I want to turn off all the lights while I'm sitting parked in the car. The car image provided useful feedback as to whether I had really turned all the lights off (it can be hard to tell if it's not yet completely dark outside.) It looks like there's still no easy way to accomplish this.
If you manually open the charge port door from the charging control screen all your lights will turn off, at least that's the way the lights work on v8 firmware... I haven't upgraded nor have I been given the chance to, doesn't sound like I'm going to given the comments on this thread.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
Anybody else driven in rain yet? I’m finding the auto sensing wipers are not working as well with V9 as they did with previous versions (ie I end up wiping before they decide to)

the programming needs some more TLC. They were unpredictable before and with V9 they still are. I have had them come on every 2 seconds on lowest setting with just the lightest mist, and a heavy rain has them come on every 4 seconds.

And from time to time I still put the car in neutral by trying to mist the wipers with the right stick. (Honda driver for over 10 years...) or I cancel AP by hitting the wrong button on the end of the stick.

Reactions: Super Dude
the programming needs some more TLC. They were unpredictable before and with V9 they still are. I have had them come on every 2 seconds on lowest setting with just the lightest mist, and a heavy rain has them come on every 4 seconds.

And from time to time I still put the car in neutral by trying to mist the wipers with the right stick. (Honda driver for over 10 years...) or I cancel AP by hitting the wrong button on the end of the stick.
Yea, consider how long it took and will take to get simple rain sensor implemented. Tesla has claims millions of miles of training data collected from their fleet, and yet, with all this rich data, they can't get it to wipe its own windshield right. Now think how many orders of magnitude longer it will take to get FSD functionality.

• Funny
Reactions: u00mem9
I noticed the Lights controls no longer have an image of the car, showing the actual status of the headlights, fog lights, DRLs, etc. Did that move somewhere else?

Here's my use case: when I need to pick someone up and have to wait a few minutes for them to arrive, I want to turn off all the lights while I'm sitting parked in the car. The car image provided useful feedback as to whether I had really turned all the lights off (it can be hard to tell if it's not yet completely dark outside.) It looks like there's still no easy way to accomplish this.
Answering my own question after watching more video reviews, it looks like v9 now actually does provide a way to quickly turn off all exterior lights...

Controls > Quick Controls > Exterior Lights : Off

That's a useful new feature, as is the combining of the Controls and Settings tabs into one list with logical sections. I noticed there is a top-down view of the car in the Quick Controls section but so far, videos haven't made it clear whether it is able to show real-time headlight/DRL/fog light status as all previous software versions did.

After the v7 and v8 updates, I gave feedback to Tesla on a number of UI changes which reduced usability or functionality for me. I was politely thanked for my feedback, but nothing changed. Each major update has always been a two-steps-forward, one-step-back deal. So I'm not holding out any false hope that split-screen apps might return, since simplification is Tesla's stated goal here. I do know that once I proceed to the final stage of grief (i.e. acceptance) and update to v9, I will have to interact with the MCU more to flip between any two apps that previously would have both been visible onscreen. That knowledge dampens my enthusiasm for installing this update.

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and GSP
I updated hoping for some small improvements. So far, I only see little downgrades that make me think the person originally responsible for the Tesla UI is no longer with the company and didn’t leave good notes. In the interest of fair warning:

-The charge level setting no longer includes arrows to advance to the next 10%. Now we have to try to move the slider to exactly 80%.

-The HVAC no longer has ‘auto’ capability for each function. There is Auto mode, and if you adjust anything is seems that all hvac controls are then on manual. I will test to see, but I typically like the floor and center vents on, and leave fan and the other functions on auto. When I force vent to floor, it looks like I’m on my own for fan control

-The Autopilot stability over road crests is suddenly bad again with the car diving left or right when it loses lane visibility. I’m hoping that improves. Previous version had improved since summer 2016 when I bought the car.

-while you can disable the auto present handles, it’s not going to save much wear since when any handle is touched, they ALL extend. Facepalm.

I updated hoping for some small improvements. So far, I only see little downgrades that make me think the person originally responsible for the Tesla UI is no longer with the company and didn’t leave good notes. In the interest of fair warning: [...]
yeah that's a good guess on an underlying reason for the little details they botch each time, especially things that used to work just fine before, like the ones you observe. Also I'm lead to believe that the programmers responsible perhaps have never actually driven a Tesla, or perhaps even seen or sat in one. But hey, we've got Asteroids! o_O

I updated hoping for some small improvements. So far, I only see little downgrades that make me think the person originally responsible for the Tesla UI is no longer with the company and didn’t leave good notes. In the interest of fair warning:

-The charge level setting no longer includes arrows to advance to the next 10%. Now we have to try to move the slider to exactly 80%.

-The HVAC no longer has ‘auto’ capability for each function. There is Auto mode, and if you adjust anything is seems that all hvac controls are then on manual. I will test to see, but I typically like the floor and center vents on, and leave fan and the other functions on auto. When I force vent to floor, it looks like I’m on my own for fan control

-The Autopilot stability over road crests is suddenly bad again with the car diving left or right when it loses lane visibility. I’m hoping that improves. Previous version had improved since summer 2016 when I bought the car.

-while you can disable the auto present handles, it’s not going to save much wear since when any handle is
I updated hoping for some small improvements. So far, I only see little downgrades that make me think the person originally responsible for the Tesla UI is no longer with the company and didn’t leave good notes.

There was a video making the circuit a couple years ago of the guy that was in charge of the UI at Tesla when it started. He was already gone from the company then. He did seem to understand very well!