Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 9 on AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree, the grey color scheme accentuates the limited viewing angles of the 17” screen. At certain angles (especially from where the driver’s head is) it looks excessively bright and other angles it looks appropriately dark. Seems like they designed it for an OLED screen.

I’m talking about the adjacent lane when the car is not on autopilot. The grey line on each side beside the car.
Look at the picture I posted with autopilot and without autopilot and you can see without autopilot, you don’t see the adjacent grey line

I swear I did see those lane before.
Thanks. I see now. If you're not on AP, it doesn't care about adjacent lanes.

Is anyone else annoyed that it assumes that we always want the music app every time we start the car? If I leave browser open to Waze when I exit the car, I’d like for it to still be there when I get back in. Instead, music pops up, so it’s two clicks to get the browser back up. Even if I pop out to get the mail and leave the door open, I get back in the car, there’s music again. Am I doing something wrong or does this happen to everyone?

Also, anyone notice there no more Green color lane when there no traffic in the map?

I don’t really like that. Sometime there no traffic data on specific road and there no color.

No color for me, mean there no traffic data

I was disappointed with that change - but in point of fact, the old system would happily show you traffic data from the last time it was in that area, with no indication that it was hours out of date and not reflective of the current situation until it managed to load new data. So just because you saw green didn't particularly mean the car had loaded good traffic data.

One good thing that came out of the change - they got rid of the stupid pink. (Under the system from the last six months or so, it went from green to orange to red to pink - pink being the most congested, and also rather hard to tell from the orange most of the time. ) Now severe congestion is a deep dark red that stands out easily.

• Informative
Reactions: kgroschi and GSP
-while you can disable the auto present handles, it’s not going to save much wear since when any handle is touched, they ALL extend. Facepalm.

If you turn on Driver Door Unlock Mode, only the driver door handle will present itself when you tap it or double click the remote. A second double click will present the other handles. A front passenger tap will present all handles.

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 9.07.44 PM.png

Supposedly you can also do a "long press" (press and hold the climate button, rather than tap it) to turn it off.

Thanks, that worked.

But now I noticed the car does not memorize fan speed.
I set the fan to 4, turn it off then leave/lock the car. When I come back (about 1hr later) and turn on the climate, the fan speed is set to 1.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Thanks, that worked.

But now I noticed the car does not memorize fan speed.
I set the fan to 4, turn it off then leave/lock the car. When I come back (about 1hr later) and turn on the climate, the fan speed is set to 1.

Did you give it a couple minutes to come up/down to temperature? I know in the auto modes it does phased ramping of the fan speed; it wouldn't surprise me if it did that on manual as well (or they might have lost the memory coding in the change.)

Am I the only one who has v9, but is still seemingly stuck on the "old" navigation? I received the new maps, but never the new nav (i.e., I never saw the "Beta" wording when using nav). I assumed the upgrade to v9 would have brought the new nav with it, but apparently not.

Anyone else going through this as well?

• Informative
Reactions: kgroschi
Get the update yesterday. Took a 2 hour trip (each, clear through the Seattle/Bellevue area). Good representation, side roads, highways , interstates , heavy traffic, light traffic. Mostly, there's not all that much difference other than the UI being prettier. Some of it I like, a few things I don't. Overall I think it's better. But my wipers did want to turn on when there was absolutely no rain of any kind. Finally had to shut them off manually. First time that's ever happened to me.

Like I say, it isn't that great of an upgrade. I guess with all the hype about the auto steer for the newer cars I was expecting more. If I hadn't had all that hype going on I probably would be quite impressed with the upgrade.

Oh, the readability is often better. The new text and symbols are simpler and in greater contrast than the old. 0 detectable change in the driving of autopilot. I did think the lines for the other lanes were more often visible than they used to be, but that may not be true.

Reactions: u00mem9
Is anyone else annoyed that it assumes that we always want the music app every time we start the car? If I leave browser open to Waze when I exit the car, I’d like for it to still be there when I get back in. Instead, music pops up, so it’s two clicks to get the browser back up. Even if I pop out to get the mail and leave the door open, I get back in the car, there’s music again. Am I doing something wrong or does this happen to everyone?

Same here. I don't like to keep the music app up on the screen since I already have that information in my gauge cluster thus making it redundant. I will say that on my car at least the back up camera is persistent if you have that pulled up unlike the browser running Waze.

Reactions: whitex and Vinc
I finally have the option to load the new firmware but haven't yet ... can anyone who HAS upgraded to v9 on an AP1 car provide a convincing argument to upgrade? Mostly all I've seen are the negatives with this update and I'd like some positive reasons to go ahead with v9

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
I finally have the option to load the new firmware but haven't yet ... can anyone who HAS upgraded to v9 on an AP1 car provide a convincing argument to upgrade? Mostly all I've seen are the negatives with this update and I'd like some positive reasons to go ahead with v9
Most people resist change, fear it. It's human nature to complain when things change.
Some people here are upset about specific changes that force them to think "different".

However, if you look at the changes as a whole, there is a lot of improvement in UI and function. I like it.

Also, it's futile to try to resist. You could try to refuse updates forever but you will cut yourself off from significant improvement. My 4 year old car just keeps getting better . I embrace change.

It's definitely not all negative. I am holding off myself even the update is ready for me but I just checked it out in my friends Model X AP1 and it definitely made me want to upgrade more. The new interface looks great and is quite a bit faster. I am just missing the green for the roads without traffic and I am not 100% sure how the AP1 handles now. Since I rely heavily on my AP, I can't have Tesla screw it up like last time when they changed the nudging to every 12 seconds.

• Informative
Reactions: GasKilla
What Iike in v9.0, is that the autopilot is much better. when in traffic, it just doesn't break suddently. it does the stop much smoother. an big + for me.
Overall, it easy to get use to the new UI.
I recommand you to update it to v9.0 especially if you use autopilot a lot.

Interesting. I didn't notice much difference in AP behavior after the update.

• Informative
Interesting. I didn't notice much difference in AP behavior after the update.

Not much change here either, although I did see something interesting (in a good way) that I am not able to reproduce reliably.

It used to be that if I was on the freeway, at speed with no Autopilot or TACC, and changed lanes, there would be kind of a "settling time" before AP1 figured out where it was in the new lane. During that time, the grey steering-wheel icon disappeared from the IC, so it was impossible to engage auto-steering for a few seconds. The first day I had 2018.39.6 (coming from 2018.32.2) I observed that during and after a manual lane change, the grey steering wheel stayed on the IC as long as the AP camera could see the lane markings, implying that I could engage auto-steering immediately. To me this was new behavior. I wanted to do some more testing with this but haven't had the time or circumstances. I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine what I saw, but I admit I may not be interpreting it correctly. Anyone else see this?

Bruce.

• Informative

you can get it down to one click (/swipe) by swiping up on the ^ app drawer arrow (for the most recent used app)