Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 9 on AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was reading email I got from Tesla and it says dash cam on model s. There is no mentioning of its coming only on AP2 or 2.5 maybe we getting it too
I had the same thought after reading the email and the version 9.0 web page. Blindspot Monitoring, a feature that explicitly requires AP2/2.5, is called out with the phrase "cars with Full-Self-Driving hardware." But the Dashcam feature just says, "your car’s forward-facing camera." So hopefully that includes AP1.

Not sure yet how I feel about functionality being removed, such as the ability to have 2 apps onscreen at once. I'm guessing they have telemetry that shows most people only ever use a subset of apps, which is probably why nav is "always on" and the music app now has its own icon on the bottom row.

Looks like I'll have to completely re-train my muscle memory for the position of the climate controls. :(

Reactions: ironwaffle and GSP
I had the same thought after reading the email and the version 9.0 web page. Blindspot Monitoring, a feature that explicitly requires AP2/2.5, is called out with the phrase "cars with Full-Self-Driving hardware." But the Dashcam feature just says, "your car’s forward-facing camera." So hopefully that includes AP1.

Not sure yet how I feel about functionality being removed, such as the ability to have 2 apps onscreen at once. I'm guessing they have telemetry that shows most people only ever use a subset of apps, which is probably why nav is "always on" and the music app now has its own icon on the bottom row.

Looks like I'll have to completely re-train my muscle memory for the position of the climate controls. :(
It's not, video never leaves the mobileeye chip up there....

• Informative
Reactions: DOCAL
So that's why they made the browser completely non-functional, so that people stop using it in order to get telemetrics saying people don't use 2 apps at the same time. When the browser worked I used to use it and backup camera as the two apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: P85_DA and kavyboy
It's not, video never leaves the mobileeye chip up there....
Sadly, it looks like you're right. Neither AP1 nor AP2 get Dashcam. It's only for AP2.5:

Introducing Software Version 9.0
Model S, Model X, and Model 3 vehicles built with Hardware 2.5 (introduced in August 2017) now allow you to record and store video captured from the forward-facing camera when your car is in use. You will need to configure file formatting and allow for a minimum of 1.8 GB of free space on a flash drive. The drive should be inserted into a front row USB port.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Just got 39.6 for my 2014 AP1 P85D.

D213FD4F-399E-4D99-85F7-C4BD74CD8337.jpeg