Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 9 Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a huge fan of the new screen in version 9, especially having the map going at all times...
One thing I can't find on the touchscreen is how to turn the steering wheel heater on. Thanks!

You have to go into climate controls. It’s on the bottom left in the submenu for the heated seats. Unfortunately every time you want to make an adjustment to the wheel heater the climate control will come on because opening the menu turns it on. One of many blunders in V9.

Reactions: XHokie
I have had an X in Canada now for 2.5 years and I have loved it. I installed Version 9 the same as I did for all software, but this one not only didn't help or fix anything, it BROKE many things and took away access to 60% of the screen that I loved. I always had the Camera at the top screen and the Music at the bottom, because I'm regularly glancing at both. Now I can only look at one window at a time that is only 40 % of the screen, and I have to press 2 buttons to get the Camera back after I look at the Music window. This is a safety hazard because I have to fumble around looking for proper buttons to push. In Ver 8 it just took a second to glance down at both screens and I was done. Ver 9 also screwed up my charging port so it doesn't work properly anymore. It erased my Profile so now my garage door only works once in a while. The backup Camera that was the real reason I upgraded to 9 for, doesn't work with my hardware, which no one told me about beforehand and Service didn't know until they looked into it. My Streaming service doesn't work very well anymore, regular Loading Error's. Nothing about Version 9 is better or helpful, but most of it is bad. They didn't have to do this to us and they could have warned us what the problems were, and they certainly could let people go back to Ver 8. But it obvious that they just don't care at all anymore.

Reactions: kavyboy
You have to go into climate controls. It’s on the bottom left in the submenu for the heated seats. Unfortunately every time you want to make an adjustment to the wheel heater the climate control will come on because opening the menu turns it on. One of many blunders in V9.
One more question if you don't mind....is there any way to cover up the background map completely?

I have had an X in Canada now for 2.5 years and I have loved it. I I have to press 2 buttons to get the Camera back after I look at the Music window. This is a safety hazard because I have to fumble around looking for proper buttons to push. In Ver 8 it just took a second to glance down at both screens and I was done.

You can swipe the first up arrow on the main screen to automatically bring the camera back, without having to go back into the submenu. This at least saves some head down time.

I feel your pain. Def recommend that you sign into your Tesla account online and leave this feedback in the report problems. Hopefully enough people do this (or directly to Musk on Twitter, if that is your bag) and then when they improve their software they will address this problem.

Elon confirmed via tweet that rear camera is coming back in the next point release. I don’t get it...but from the noise it’s obviously a huge loss for many, so good news!

Question for those with V9 on this feature from Tesla’s blog post on V9:

• All your controls for cold weather have been moved to one place as part of Climate. Touch the seat icon to access controls for all seat heaters, steering wheel heater and wiper heater.
When I touch the seat icon in my X, I just get the seat heater. How do I make it pop up the menu for the steering wheel or wiper heaters? I can only do it now by touching the fan, which then starts the vents...I don’t want that. What am I missing? Thanks!

56C7EAA3-5A6E-497D-8DF9-940DFD0B7D65.jpeg

Elon confirmed via tweet that rear camera is coming back in the next point release. I don’t get it...but from the noise it’s obviously a huge loss for many, so good news!

Question for those with V9 on this feature from Tesla’s blog post on V9:

• All your controls for cold weather have been moved to one place as part of Climate. Touch the seat icon to access controls for all seat heaters, steering wheel heater and wiper heater.
When I touch the seat icon in my X, I just get the seat heater. How do I make it pop up the menu for the steering wheel or wiper heaters? I can only do it now by touching the fan, which then starts the vents...I don’t want that. What am I missing? Thanks!

View attachment 346553

You aren’t missing anything. Touch the fan icon. Select the heaters you want. Long press the fan to turn the hvac back off.

I was thinking about this today. I think a better solution would be to let you tap the degress Number in between the up/down arrow to pop up the heater screen. This would stop the fan issue and let a user select a spot that is currently not being used.. I thought of this because until i figured out the fan issue, that was my natural reaction to touch the numbers to see if that is where it was.

Can't agree enough with how poorly thought through this sort of UI design was. Clearly Tesla did not implement or utilize proper UX/CX practices when designing and developing V9 software.

Hopefully they are getting enough negative feedback to change things like this.

Reactions: EVSteve and kavyboy
Yeah I hate the new cold climate location. Say you want to turn on the heated wheel, defroster, etc. you have to hit the fan icon which also turns on the heat/AC. Also have to extra click on the left to choose between AC/Cold items before that even. I do miss the dedicated screen that you could select in controls. Controls also doesn't remember your last selected screen anymore as well :-(

Reactions: EVSteve
They've had a few of these "the way you get at setting X is to maniuplate (i.e. make a change to) setting Y" issues in the past. It is bad UI design for desktop, mobile, or car.

For example, the overloaded lumbar/headrest setting. The way you switch between the two is to adjust "it", then you get to see what you just adjusted and switch to the other setting, but meanwhile you just adjusted the "not it" setting that you didn't want to change, so you have to "adjust, undo adjust, switch modes, then adjust the thing you wanted".

All adjustments must have a way to get to them that does not require changing any settings - a button or control that says "bring up the full menu of options, but don't change anything".

Reactions: kavyboy
I have had an X in Canada now for 2.5 years and I have loved it. I installed Version 9 the same as I did for all software, but this one not only didn't help or fix anything, it BROKE many things and took away access to 60% of the screen that I loved. I always had the Camera at the top screen and the Music at the bottom, because I'm regularly glancing at both. Now I can only look at one window at a time that is only 40 % of the screen, and I have to press 2 buttons to get the Camera back after I look at the Music window. This is a safety hazard because I have to fumble around looking for proper buttons to push. In Ver 8 it just took a second to glance down at both screens and I was done. Ver 9 also screwed up my charging port so it doesn't work properly anymore. It erased my Profile so now my garage door only works once in a while. The backup Camera that was the real reason I upgraded to 9 for, doesn't work with my hardware, which no one told me about beforehand and Service didn't know until they looked into it. My Streaming service doesn't work very well anymore, regular Loading Error's. Nothing about Version 9 is better or helpful, but most of it is bad. They didn't have to do this to us and they could have warned us what the problems were, and they certainly could let people go back to Ver 8. But it obvious that they just don't care at all anymore.
I totally agree! One of my favorite features was having the cameras on top at all times. I find myself having to take my eyes off the road to constantly put the camera back on. I have no need for a navigation screen to be on at all times. I hope they bring back the option to have the camera on top.

I totally agree! One of my favorite features was having the cameras on top at all times. I find myself having to take my eyes off the road to constantly put the camera back on. I have no need for a navigation screen to be on at all times. I hope they bring back the option to have the camera on top.
Will be back I’m .42

Tesla starts releasing Navigate on Autopilot feature with disappointing caveat, update with UI changes

“You can now use the Calendar, Energy, Rear Camera, and Phone applications at the same time as Media Player. When Media Player is open, these applications display above the Media Player window and can be dragged up or down to adjust the viewing position.”