Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vertical load limit and roof rack limit on the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can answer this for me. I am thinking of getting a Model Y but I need to be able to carry 4 adult bikes. I currently have a ML and use a bike carrier on the tow bar and I am able to put all 4 on the carrier. However the Model Y appears to have a vertical load limit of 72Kg (?), so I wouldn't be able to carry all four on the back. My question is this, does anyone know if it's possible to carry stuff on the tow bar (bike carrier plus 2 bikes) and then also carry two bikes on the roof rack? Would it affect the performance, suspension void the warranty??! Sorry if it's a dumb question, but just want to be clear on this before I purchase the car.

Many thanks
P

I haven't try that much. Most I've loaded is 2x adult bikes on bike racks mounted to the tow hitch. And a cargo box up top with 3x peoples Ski gears.

Personally I'm not sure if its wide enough to load 2x bikes up top + a cargo box. I mean your Cargo box has to be the smallest one out there. So my assumption is no at least to the roof rack.

Performance will be affected for sure. But not enough to scare you from loading up the car ever again.

Upvote 0
Roof rack is good for 165 lbs, which is 75Kgs for anyone under 50. Good luck getting them up there though.

Wouldn't a trailer be better with all 4 bikes on it ? Family Bike Trailer
I thought about a bike trailer but is a pain towing + trying to charge. I've tried it and is a nightmare.

Big no no for sure. But with a bike rack at the back is easier to back up as close as I can to the super charger itself and plug it.

Upvote 0
I thought about a bike trailer but is a pain towing + trying to charge. I've tried it and is a nightmare.

Big no no for sure. But with a bike rack at the back is easier to back up as close as I can to the super charger itself and plug it.

I presume the Supercharger design is the same in UK as Canada but the cables are really short here ... I would be amazed if you could back into a Supercharger here with 4 bikes on the back and be near enough to plug in.

Upvote 0
I presume the Supercharger design is the same in UK as Canada but the cables are really short here ... I would be amazed if you could back into a Supercharger here with 4 bikes on the back and be near enough to plug in.
Super Chargers here in Canada is build with the car backed in with no trailer or anything. Don’t have enough room to park the car to charge if you are pulling something. I’ve seen people with wagon or small trailer unhooking their trailer before charging.

Upvote 0
I was planning on getting a towbar mounted 4 bike carrier for my MY (when it arrives). Probably an Atera Strada which I think weighs 16.7kg with the 4th bike adaptor. This would allow 14kg per bike, which is tight (for our bikes) but doable I think.
If its like the M3 with regard to limitations about the weight and distance from the tow ball, then i think anything other than 2 bikes on a towball mounted carrier is a no-no. Its detailed in the handbook and ultimately stopped me from doing this. I wanted to use my Altera Strada DL 3 bike rack but the weights and position of CoG stopped me from doing so.

Upvote 0