Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vertical Scratches On Model S Window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like anyone who has a model S to have a close look at there door windows for thin vertical lines.

These lines are difficult to see unless you are looking for them and are caused by anything getting stuck in the seal at the bottom of the window.

Every Model S I have ever driven has had these issues to some level (4 in total)

I've seen on other threads that Tesla has sometimes resolved the problem or remedied it in other ways.

My question is, how many other people have this issue and given that it's a standard manufacturing/Design issue and Tesla have repaired the issues for some. Am I being unreasonable for them to fix this on my 3-year-old 16k warranty car?

It is dust and grime that settles in the groove formed by the seal and the window, combined with opening and closing the window that causes the tiny scratches. The other cause is a dirty window with abrasive particles that get dislodged as you roll the window down. I assume it is normal wear and tear. If the scratches are difficult to see, then they are not interfering with the normal function of the window.

I’ve seen these on numerous cars, not just Teslas. I think it is unreasonable to expect Tesla to replace door windows due to these tiny scratches.

I don’t think dirty windows are Tesla’s problem. It’s the same with wipers, if you operate your wipers dry when your windshield is covered with dirt and sand, the wipers will scratch the windshield. That’s not a design issue, it’s a common sense issue.

I disagree, I've never owned a car where the windows scratch like this. (all four windows are scratched)

I wind my front window down regularly to get into my work car park and the driver's side is getting worse. I did exactly the same thing with a BMW for 6 years and I did not have this issue.

Reactions: fiuzatec
You can disagree, my opinion doesn’t matter. Yours matters and Tesla’s position matters. You did ask, though.

You might be able to decrease future scratching by waxing the windows. It seems worth a try. Wet glass scratches more easily than dry slick glass.

I would like anyone who has a model S to have a close look at there door windows for thin vertical lines.

These lines are difficult to see unless you are looking for them and are caused by anything getting stuck in the seal at the bottom of the window.

Every Model S I have ever driven has had these issues to some level (4 in total)

I've seen on other threads that Tesla has sometimes resolved the problem or remedied it in other ways.

My question is, how many other people have this issue and given that it's a standard manufacturing/Design issue and Tesla have repaired the issues for some. Am I being unreasonable for them to fix this on my 3-year-old 16k warranty car?
Hi
I have the same issues.

Did you ever get tesla position on the matter?
Best regards
Mayo

Early in 2015, a few months after delivery, I had quite obvious vertical scratches in the front. The SeC recognised it was a known issue back then due to the door handle, and in particular the plastic sheet that is glued to it, that would get lose & cause those scratches.
So if you have an older car, and the lines are direct "in line" with the door handle, there is that possibility.
Was fixed and now all good since then.

"I've seen on other threads that Tesla has sometimes resolved the problem or remedied it in other ways."

How to solve(impossible) or minimize(think possible) this problem ? clean the scratches I mean