Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vertical vs Horizontal screens

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always loved the vertical screen in the model S MCU. Something about it is so James-bond-y in how it faces the driver and has so many functions built it. It also just feels very unique to Tesla because where else are you going to find a 17 inch vertical touch screen like that?

That said, I can see why Tesla has gone all horizontal for the 3/Y models. It allows the same information that the S/X show in 2 screens to be displayed on just 1. While it's incredibly striking and futuristic looking, I can't say I like it as much.

I used to think this was just to save money for cheaper models, but I noticed the Tesla semi-truck also includes horizontal screens, which made me wonder if this the design language for Tesla going forward? Is it purely a cost saving measure or was there a decision made at some point that horizontal is just the way to go? Do we think the next version of the S/X will switch it up?

...I've always loved the vertical screen in the model S MCU...

Me too!

I can't stand my current Model 3 horizontal display.

It's problems:

1) 15" is not enough space for multi windows and instrument clusters. If orient it horizontally, it should be more than 17".

2) Glare: Despite trying different anti-glare add-ons, the glare is still bad for the horizontal. It's much better in S, X, and 2020 Roadster because they lie down at an angle vertically, not standing straight up horizontally.

If those 2 problems are addressed, I think horizontal would be fine.

But at this current rate, just turning horizontally without compensating for those shortfalls might point to cost reduction at the expense of quality.

Reactions: Shadnic
As mentioned in the thread, vertical screen gives off the impression of power, uniqueness, something to be admired. James Bond style 100%.

Horizontal is cheap, ugly and budget. Obviously. It’s like an aftermarket add on that you yourself put in your car. I hope that Tesla doesn’t do that to the S in any coming refresh, cause I won’t be buying another one then.

I too hate the current horizontal screen setup. The car needs either a heads up display or a normal dash. I wear progressive glasses. The way progressives work is that different parts of the lens have different prescriptions. This means that in order to view things on the left or right, I have to move my head instead of glancing with my eyes as I would with a normal dashboard.

So in order to frequently check the horizontal screen for speed and whatever, I would have to be constantly moving my head. This makes this horizontal screen a literal pain in the neck. The M3/Y were clearly designed for cars that were 99% of the time driven FSD. If this were the case, I would have no problem with the current horizontal screen setup. I would never buy a M3 or Y until this issue is resolved, and I hope they do not make this ergonomic mistake with the Model S/X or Roadster.

Having driven the S, 3 and X extensively, I find myself preferring the horizontal single screen layout of the Model 3. I find the steering wheel in the S & X partially obscures the instrument cluster. Also, the 3's screen positioning is less of a reach than the screen in the S & X. I sit far enough back that glancing to the side is just an eye movement rather than a full head movement. A shorter person in a 3 might find themselves having to turn their head slightly to see information, so preferences vary.

Reactions: APotatoGod
My dislike for the horizontal screen on my P3D+ is the inability to keep the rear camera on all of the time under the current format. It covers way too much screen real estate. On my wife's S70D, we keep nav on top and the camera on the bottom. Maybe someday the Tesla boffins will add code to allow a zoomable rear camera window on the Model 3 that I can size and drag where I want.

Reactions: APotatoGod