TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Verticle Axis Wind Turbines (VAWT)

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by AnOutsider, Aug 21, 2013.

1. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Anyone here have experience with VAWTs? We were considering going with those over solar panels (or traditional turbines). Any comments on how it compares when it comes to maintenance, efficiency and costs?

Aesthetically I prefer them over solar or normal turbines. I'm told maintenance is supposed to be less as well. Working on pricing out systems ATM, just wanted to see if any folks here had experience with these?

2. DCWitt

DCWitt Member

I am also very interested in VAWT. Hope someone here has some experience and can point us in the right direction.

3. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

You mean a stack of oil drums turning on old hubs, with cut outs flared to catch the wind? Spinning an alternator charging truck batteries? Great as yard art and the motion would keep the coyotes away.
    --

4. DCWitt

DCWitt Member

#4 DCWitt, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
    I was thinking more of something like this:
    Low%20Wind%20VAWT.jpg

5. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

The old, inefficient "oil drum" VAWT has been greatly surpassed. Although the efficiencies of VAWT designs are still far enough below horizontal designs that we aren't seeing them used in commercial-scale wind farms, the sculptural effect and relative quiet of VAWT has made it popular in residential and commercial settings. Companies like Windspire (Windspire Wind Turbines by Windspire Energy ) have a lot of installations.

6. Martini

Martini Member

7. GSP

GSP Member

Maintaining wind turbines is burdensome and dangerous for homeowners. I recommend investigating this before buying a wind turbine.

"Real" turbines have horizontal axis and are rated in MW, not kW. They are much safer, due to professional maintenance, and cost much less per kWh.

Buying wind energy from your utility is the way to go, unless you live in a remote off-grid location.

Solar is much more practical for homeowners.

Just my opinion, of course.

GSP

8. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

The builder doing my home is a "green" builder, and we looked into it because we didn't have any more space for panels and ground-mount is more expensive. Anywho, the end result was that wind in general just wasn't worth it, with VAWT being even worse. Bummer.

9. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I've seen them used as, in effect, kinetic sculptures. If thought of as art instead of an energy-generating plant, they might make sense...

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

11. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Hopefully these turbines don't catch on fire, that'll slow down the sales a bit