Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Verticle Axis Wind Turbines (VAWT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
Anyone here have experience with VAWTs? We were considering going with those over solar panels (or traditional turbines). Any comments on how it compares when it comes to maintenance, efficiency and costs?

Aesthetically I prefer them over solar or normal turbines. I'm told maintenance is supposed to be less as well. Working on pricing out systems ATM, just wanted to see if any folks here had experience with these?

Anyone here have experience with VAWTs? We were considering going with those over solar panels (or traditional turbines). Any comments on how it compares when it comes to maintenance, efficiency and costs?

Aesthetically I prefer them over solar or normal turbines. I'm told maintenance is supposed to be less as well. Working on pricing out systems ATM, just wanted to see if any folks here had experience with these?

I am also very interested in VAWT. Hope someone here has some experience and can point us in the right direction.

I was thinking more of something like this:
Low%20Wind%20VAWT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The old, inefficient "oil drum" VAWT has been greatly surpassed. Although the efficiencies of VAWT designs are still far enough below horizontal designs that we aren't seeing them used in commercial-scale wind farms, the sculptural effect and relative quiet of VAWT has made it popular in residential and commercial settings. Companies like Windspire (Windspire Wind Turbines by Windspire Energy ) have a lot of installations.

Maintaining wind turbines is burdensome and dangerous for homeowners. I recommend investigating this before buying a wind turbine.

"Real" turbines have horizontal axis and are rated in MW, not kW. They are much safer, due to professional maintenance, and cost much less per kWh.

Buying wind energy from your utility is the way to go, unless you live in a remote off-grid location.

Solar is much more practical for homeowners.

Just my opinion, of course.

GSP

Maintaining wind turbines is burdensome and dangerous for homeowners. I recommend investigating this before buying a wind turbine.

"Real" turbines have horizontal axis and are rated in MW, not kW. They are much safer, due to professional maintenance, and cost much less per kWh.

Buying wind energy from your utility is the way to go, unless you live in a remote off-grid location.

Solar is much more practical for homeowners.

Just my opinion, of course.

GSP

The builder doing my home is a "green" builder, and we looked into it because we didn't have any more space for panels and ground-mount is more expensive. Anywho, the end result was that wind in general just wasn't worth it, with VAWT being even worse. Bummer.