Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very aggressive stopping when detecting stop signs and red lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me but I am finding the car is very aggressive with stopping at stop signs and red lights. The car will detect the sign at 200m (600’) but will keep going until the very last minute where it will almost jam the brakes. I am the driver type that prefer using a following distance of 6 and use the regeneration as mush as I can. The current behavior is also freaking the passengers that have the impression I did not see the sign. I hope Tesla will use the following distance setting that is not perfect but is still better reflecting our driving style. It is also saving my brake pads.

2017 X MC2/HW3 version 2020.32.3

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
I find it does a lot of stuff uncomfortably late. Like you said for traffic lights. But even Nav on AutoPilot gets on exit lane late. Slows down for exits late.

mine is Sept 2019 Build Raven LR (came with HW3) for reference.

Pretty impressive with AutoPilot just on the highway though without getting into the exits behavior.

I was noticing the same thing today, it was gunning it from one stop sign to the next and I ended up disengaging well ahead of the stop sign, which makes the feature basically useful for letting you know about stop signs. I can't imagine they don't track manual breaking and AP disengagement across the fleet, so I'll also be interested to see what happens with it in the near future.

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
Seems like it's driving way too aggressively for my tastes !! Slows and takes the exit ramps at the LAST second. Slowing for stop signs in far too short of a distance. I would imagine it was designed for city driving (read the word "city" as California, no offense intended).

I noticed the same too. It does brake aggressively and makes me a bit nervous as it comes in with some decent speed, but it does stop properly in the end.

Also, I have wondered what combination of regen and standard braking is used when it engages. That may have something to do with the abrupt’ness.

Last edited:
I noticed the same too. It does brake aggressively and makes me a bit nervous as it comes in with some decent speed, but it does stop properly in the end.

Also, I have wondered what combination of regen and standard braking is used when it engages. That may have something to do with the abrupt’ness.

This gives me an idea. I think I have my car in Mad Max mode; I wonder if going to a more sedate mode makes a difference. I’m going to try that tomorrow.

This gives me an idea. I think I have my car in Mad Max mode; I wonder if going to a more sedate mode makes a difference. I’m going to try that tomorrow.

i don't think so. Mad Max is a NoA setting allowing for automatic lane changing, and it only works on Interstates. We do not have Stop signs or traffic signals on Interstates ... at least around here.

• Informative
Reactions: arathald and GWord
To me it is obvious Tesla needs a setting for this. Some people want a more sedate approach to a stop sign and some people want a bat out of hell approach to stop signs and some people may want to change the setting based on their mood or if they are in a hurry.

Reactions: rush6410